Horse has cut his leg open, what should I do now? Pics

Quartz

Visit site
Great advice everyone, so thank you.

I am surprised at how quickly it actually appears to be healing. It is looking much better already and I am keeping it clean and keeping an eye on it. He is not lame, does not have a temp, there is no heat in his leg. So all seems ok for the moment.

Couple of pics of it today, in case anyone is interested!! Its the first 3 in the album. http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/quartz85/cut leg/

BonneMaman

Visit site
Honestly I am not one to call the vet out for small wounds but to me that looks like it could do with a stitch in it to bring the skin back together. It would certainly aid healing at at this time of year the risk of infection with an open wound like that is higher than in winter with little or no flies around.

Ha! Serves me right for not reading the whole thread!! Very difficult to tell though when you cannot see the wound "in the flesh" ... ;-)

Best of luck.

Last edited:

teddyt

Visit site
Just wanted to say that as some have mentioned, for best wound healing the wound needs to be kept moist. Hydrogels are useful for this. Purple sprays and wound powders should not be used on open wounds as they dry them out- the opposite of what you should be trying to achieve. They are a bit old fashioned and research has moved on!

smellsofhorse

Visit site
It's quite a nasty wound, may have been stiched, with a drainage hole if vet had seen it soon enough.
Is your horse vaccinated?
If not he will need a tetanus injection, also bute for pain and anti inflamitory.
Cold hose and walk around as movement wil help the circulation reduce swelling.

Tnavas

Visit site
Too swollen to be stitched - they would pull apart and make more of a mess.

Cold hosing, moving around as someone else has said plus honey on the wound. The honey will keep the flies off.

Persephone

Visit site
Ok, way too late to be stitched, also you had covered it with cream which is a no no when stitching may be needed. and well on it's way to healing. Manuka honey would be a good move and make sure the flies stay away. I would be hosing it for at least 10 minutes twice a day too.

Is there a lot of heat from it? If so you may still need the vet and antibiotics.

It's a bit early but are those bot eggs to the right of it?

Last edited:

GingerCat

Visit site
No! Not honey!!!...

It's for infected wounds only, it will do no good on a clean wound, you'd only be wasting your money. :rolleyes:

Quartz

Visit site
I am hosing it down twice a day, there is not heat or gunk from it. I am not overly worried as it looks like it is healing quite nicely considering it only happened on Thursday.

I am worried about scaring, but am waiting for it to heal more before I start putting lotions on for scaring.

I am interested in the Manuka honey though, unfortunately I live in the back and beyond somewhere in the countryside in France so its not that easy to find all these wonderful products lots of you have mentioned. Lots of things I am having to order over the internet so have to wait for delivery. Does it have to be Manuka Honey or can it be any honey?

GingerCat

Visit site
Scarring is made worse if the wound is allowed to dry up and scab, that's why the wound gels are so good, as they keep the wound bed moist.
This allows new cells to grow quickly.
The gels also cushion the nerve endings and so reduce pain.

Manuka honey (and it needs to be medical grade honey to be truly beneficial) is a fantastic product for infected wounds and can be bought online as can the wound gels.
So you will still be able to get hold of them.
It's worth getting some for you horsy first aid kid :D

If your horse's wound is healing the you're obviously doing what needs to be done :rolleyes:

GREYSMEADOW

Visit site
Another vote for Derma Gel (its a clear gel). Was recommended this by a Stud (who was also recommended it by their vet) - its about £11 and is now always in my equine wardrobe/first aid kit. Hair regrowth is brill too and also have noticed that a a deep cut clears up rather quickly.

I have also puffed some wound powder on top so that the flies don't stick to the gel when turned out.

I hope this helps.

Derma Gel:
The Number One herbal skin hydrogel, for intensive and rapid skin care, plus aprotective barrier effective against foreign contaminants. Derma Gel provides and maintains a moist epidermal environment, with the ability to help clean and deride necrotic tissue, encourage natural hair regrowth and maximise skin smoothness.

Derma Gel contains no traces of steroid and is completely safe to use on a mare in foal.

Quartz

Visit site
I have ordered the Derma Gel, just waiting for delivery which is a real pain. But this thread has got me thinking about what to have in a first aid kit for him. I have a small one but obviously got do with more things for when I have him at home and not on livery.