Horse has died *need hugs*

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
So sorry. What a lucky horse to have found such a lovely retirement home. Hugs to you both x

This.

Nope, I would certainly not have called the vet either.

What a lovely boy......... he saved you all the hassle of having to make the decision for him and all the horribleness of that; he just slipped away knowing that he was warm, fed, cozy & cared for. He obviously picked his time which would cause the least distress to you all and just allowed himself to slip across to Rainbow Bridge, where he'll be waiting for you in due time.

So sorry for your loss; but at least you have the comfort of knowing that he went peacefully - in his own time - and that there wasn't any distress involved for him.

diamonddogs

Visit site
So sorry for your loss.

Try not to let inappropriate comments about not calling the vet get to you - my mare died under similar circumstances and she DID have the vet. Horrible as it is, when their time comes it comes, and sometimes no vet attention at all or 100% observation will change that.

Run free little man.

xxx

Last edited:

Daytona

Visit site
Sorry your horse died :-(

I lost a horse to a twisted gut and it's the most horrendous thing ever, she was foaming at the mouth , smashing her head off the floor. Waiting for the vet to arrive felt like a eternity. This does not sound like what your horse had. I'd say his heart gave up, hence the weakness before hand.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
OMGoodness your poor heart.... so sorry for your loss. Run free in green dry meadows forever xx

Tobiano

Visit site
Oh OP, so sorry to read this. He does look a beautiful boy and it is clear he had a lovely few weeks with you and your OH, and I totally agree with many others - you didnt fail him in any way - he went peacefully, at home, in his sleep - and was comfortable thanks to your care. I would not have called the vet either, and dont imagine that anything a vet would have been able to do at 2 am in a stable would have made the slightest difference. It was his time, and I am so sorry that you have had to go through this. Massive hugs x x

EffyCorsten

Visit site
I am so sorry for your loss but if I were you I'd feel incredibly content with how he went. He had a lovely time with you and he got to say his goodbyes peacefully, warm and snuggled with a little dinner and love. I cant think of a better way to go to be honest. I'm sure he was happy with his achievements and had a lovely life and lovey retirement.

I would not have called the vet it sounds like he perhaps had a heart attack of course that's just a guess.

He went with dignity, a warm bed and feeling loved and cared for.

marmalade76

Visit site
So sorry :'(

It does sound like he may have had heart failure. My horse had heart disease, my vet told me that it would lead to heart failure and once in heart failure there was no going back, there was nothing that could be done. He told me all the symtoms, what to look out for, etc, these included lethargy, swelling, the only thing he couldn't tell me was when this was likely to happen. It happened on the first hot day in May. He became so lethargic that when my 80 year old YO brought him in he couldn't keep up with her. His legs had also swelled but he was still eating, though not as much as usual. The only place I called was the kennels 'cause I knew he was dying anyway.

Hope this helps and ((((hugs))) x

Queenbee

Visit site
I am so very sorry for your loss, it's always a shock when they go so suddenly.

Not sure if this was really needed Queenbee, at best insensitive and at worse cruel.

I personally don't care about your judgement ej, I am a little bit shocked, and if something was so wrong with my horse that it had moved me to tears, Even if I couldn't have put my finger on it, I would have called the vet. I did a knowledge that it's a little insensitive, but not cruel. Someone said that many wouldn't have even done such a late check and I've already said that I acknowledge that possibly nothing could have been done, but from ops first post it was recognised that something was wrong, so yes, I'm shocked, but as I said in my post, I'm incredibly sorry for ops loss.

Hippona

Visit site
I personally don't care about your judgement ej, I am a little bit shocked, and if something was so wrong with my horse that it had moved me to tears, Even if I couldn't have put my finger on it, I would have called the vet. I did a knowledge that it's a little insensitive, but not cruel. Someone said that many wouldn't have even done such a late check and I've already said that I acknowledge that possibly nothing could have been done, but from ops first post it was recognised that something was wrong, so yes, I'm shocked, but as I said in my post, I'm incredibly sorry for ops loss.

Well maybe you could have thought it privately and kept your mouth shut.

cambrica

Visit site
So sorry to read your heartbreaking news.
As you said, his bed was not disturbed, he had eaten and drunk some water, he was warm and safe. It was peaceful. If I could choose a way for my horses to go it would be like this.
RIP Beautiful boy x

starryeyed

Visit site
What an awful shock that must have been for you this morning, I'm so sorry for your loss. To repeat others, please don't blame yourself for any of this. It does sound as if his time had come to an end, and a lovely way for him to go too - not many horses get to fall asleep in a warm bed and simply not wake. He would have gone feeling much loved after his cuddles and the lovely day you had together beforehand. As he ate/drink it does sound as if he wasn't distressed, and that he did just curl up. He clearly had a lovely couple of months with you, he looked like a wonderful and very happy horse. Sending massive hugs your way, rest in peace beautiful x

Holly Hocks

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your horse. Your post has brought me to tears. I think the fact that the bed was undisturbed indicates that he didn't fight. Hopefully a quiet peaceful end which is what we all would love for our horses. Unfortunately we can't choose the time and date when this happens. He went knowing he was much loved and was warm and fed. What more can you ask? Remember the good times. x

kinnygirl1

Visit site
So sorry OP. For what it's worth, this is how I'd like my horse to go when his time comes, warm, comfy and in his sleep in his "bedroom". Hugs to you.

Clare85

Visit site
Well maybe you could have thought it privately and kept your mouth shut.

This. There was no need for your comment Queenbee, it was very insensitive. The OP is obviously very upset at the loss of the horse, it must've been a shock to find him this morning. Obviously she didn't think he would die overnight - if she had any inkling this would've happened, I'm sure she would've called the vet. The thread title says 'need hugs'. Sometimes, it is better to keep your thoughts to yourself.

Elvis

Visit site
So sorry for your loss. It sounds like he had a peaceful passing, wouldn't we all like our horses to go in a warm bed with plenty of food and water, knowing how loved they are, receiving treats hours before it happens. Don't feel guilty, you gave a horse love and comfort, something many horses don't experience.

Fides

Visit site
I've just gone out to do night checks on the other two (first time since the guy came to take him away) and they look sorry for themselves. I let them see his body so they knew he was gone but they do seem to be subdued :( Just had a blub on then and went to muck out Nookie's stable and found the crem guy had done it... How lovely! He had skipped out the couple of poos that were in there and folded his rugs up in a neat pile in the corner. This made me blub again.

People -please dont reespond to queen bee - I have blocked her after she upset me with her hurtful comments and then justifying herself. Life is very easy with hindsight...

charlie76

Visit site
So sorry for your loss. If he seemed happy and well when you checked him last thing then he went peacefully. Dont beat yourself up about what ifs x

maree t

Visit site
So sorry to read all this. I think that is how I would like to go though. Comfy and warm and just go to sleep . Please dont worry about how it all happened. How many horses are checked late I wonder.
Again so sorry he looked like a lovely horse.

Highlands

Visit site
Really feel for you, one of our mares died just coming out of her stable... As we always say, the sun set on our beautiful girl.

I think he was so lucky to have you both, you cared so much.

Fides

Visit site
Thankyou again for all your kind thoughts. He was much loved right into his last hours.

I've just order some things to make horsehair bracelets for me, OH and his old owner. I'm a bit crafty and thought it would be nice to remember him by.