Horse has gone off turmeric - any tips?

mytwofriends

Visit site
As title. My 25 year old boy has been on turmeric for a year, and it has helped his arthritis no end. I was able to take him off bute, in fact turmeric was more effective and he was looking like a new man.

I had been giving him 2 tablespoons in his evening feed with olive oil and freshly ground black pepper, and about 6 weeks ago I started noticing his bowl wasn't empty in the mornings. He was polishing off his breakfast with no trouble (the same basic feed minus the turmeric etc) so it wasn't a case of not being hungry.

I reduced the turmeric to one teaspoon to see if it was that, and for a while he was finishing his supper which was great. However, he's started leaving some again, which wouldn't bother me unduly except he's started to stiffen up.

I'm loathe to put him back on bute, but I might need to if this continues. He's still eating his breakfast in full so it's not the actual feed he's not enjoying.

Anyone have any useful tips to make it more palatable?

Thanks for reading this essay!

mytwofriends

Visit site
Thanks I most likely will. I'm happy to, just wondered if anyone else had a similar problem and found a way to make it appealing again.

fairyclare

Visit site
I would try dropping the pepper, I have found that this was a irritant to my mares gut and since running out of it she has been back to eating her feed and licking the bowl clean again.
Also worth trying Boswellia before you go back on bute, I use it combined with the turmeric and my girl is looking and moving fantastically!

mytwofriends

Visit site
I would try dropping the pepper, I have found that this was a irritant to my mares gut and since running out of it she has been back to eating her feed and licking the bowl clean again.
Also worth trying Boswellia before you go back on bute, I use it combined with the turmeric and my girl is looking and moving fantastically!
Interesting, thanks! Never really thought about the pepper potentially being the issue and hadn't even considered Boswellia, so I'm willing to try both these ideas.