Horse has really bad dandruff!

Horseykate

Visit site
Hi, so for the past few weeks my horse has had really bad dandruff, mostly in his mane but it is also all over his body! His coat is also quite greasy! I don't know what's causing it or how to get rid of it. Is it because of the time of year and his winter coat? He is unclipped and in a medium weight turn out with a hood 24/7. I'm thinking of clipping him as he's sweaty after being ridden. Will clipping help with the dandruff? 🙄

ezililaur

Visit site
I personally think rugging him in a medium weight full neck 24/7 is the problem.
Especially as he isn't clipped!
I would try without rug for a while.

Equi

Visit site
My little gelding tends to get dandrug badly in his mane over winter, rugged or unrugged. I generally just spray his mane with something like botanica or something slightly oily..and if possible do a little head and shoulders shampoo now and then.

Lego

Visit site
Second the suggestions of him being a bit too warm.

Also maybe worth looking at feed - mine was permanently a bit scurfy and dandruffy, and developed quite bad mallenders... All this cleared up pretty quickly once I tried taking him off alfalfa and soya. I've had him on a small scoop of nuts with soya in as a conditioning feed and he's getting a bit itchy again. Could be coincidence with time of year and rugging etc but doubt it.