Horse has started head shaking

absgail

Visit site
Hi, does anyone have any suggestions...horse has been out of work for a couple of years. He has just turned 7 so has the riding age of about 5. He has come back into work and is constantly head shaking.

He is in the same bit (full cheek snaffle). Had teeth checked (they were sharp and needed doing but no real problems) Still doing it after having teeth done. Next thing is to get his back checked (next week). Lunged in a cavesson and he didnt do it once. So I dont think he is objecting to work, more back pressure or bit? Any ideas/suggestions?

His martingale didnt fit (had it altered now) but before I had it changed I could see how far he was throwing his head up (almost hitting my face), martingale has helped but obviously isn't solving the problem.

Batgirl

Visit site
How much topline does he have? One of the horses at our yard did this as his back was building up and went as he developed the strength/stamina. Does he do it immediately after mounting?

Leg_end

Visit site
Also, check his mane isn't tickling his ears... My boy started shaking his head after riding or 10-15 mins and a friend had the same and it turns out its the mane that's the issue! I either cut the mane right back or put a fly veil on and it's stopped!

Ladyinred

Visit site
I know this sounds a bit far-fetched but we have one who 'headshakes' simply because she likes the noise the bit makes. Very very irritating. Obviously it was easy enough to cure once we managed to figure out what she was up to.

absgail

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies! I am lungeing again tonight (not riding anymore until back lady been) so im going to try with the saddle on to see if that is aggrovating him.

It could also be his topline, he doesn't have too much of a top line and is a little unfit since being out of work for so long. I don't think he does it immediately after mounting but im not 100% sure if it starts immediately or once we start walking.

I don't think its the sound of the bit as I can't hear anything and its the same bit he has always had. Or the mane as he doesn't do it when lungeing, but still both things I will check, want to rule out as much as possible.

mcnaughty

Visit site
Try loosening the noseband or removing completely for a while. Have you tried lunging/working very early in the morning under flood lights before any flies or light could affect him?

absgail

Visit site
Noseband isnt very tight and have no flash. I lunge late at night, the flood lights arent very bright and I dont think it is flies/knats as he doesnt do it in the stable (and there are lots of knats in his stable) and usually ride/lunge at night but everything is worth a try as its so upsetting. Will try all suggestions and have back lady coming next week to hopefully shed some light. Next step after that saddle check.

ossy

Visit site
Unfortunalty i've just had LOU on my BE horse for head shaking, she was diagnosed as a neological headshaker. Really depends on what her actual symptoms are, is it just an voluntary shake to get away or is it more involuntary flicks, swings? I would suggest you do some googling on headshaking there are so many things it could be and its just a case of trial and error to the finding problem.

Also check your browband in not too tight, try putting a fly mask on and lunging to see if it stops, try covering its nose with tights and seeign if that stops. If you pin point the lcoation thats effected thats one step.

PandorasJar

Visit site
Is it all the time?

I shared one who had a fly nose thing on at all times which mainly stopped the shaking. (as a note, she never did this in the field or when in either)
I also had one who would start head shaking and yanking when tired. Once her stamina built up a bit she was fine.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Check that the bridle fits. I had a youngster who outgrew her browband. She was fine setting out on a hack, it was only after about an hour that she started headshaking. I thought at first that it was because she was getting tired but then realised that the browband was irritating her ears, it obviously got too much for her after a while - perhaps as she got warmer.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Last week one of my horses was diagnosed with polyps up his nose. He had always been a little prone due to allergies, but in the last 3 weeks got decidely worse.

Luckily they are small and can be treated with medicine. Something to consider...?

posie_honey

Visit site
there are so many things to try - i'll list some that i've tried on my horse - some might work - some might not

- check back etc
- check saddle fit
- teeth checked by an EDT - not just a vet ;) - xrays if unsure (360' not just normal ones)
- check bridle fit - try no noseband, loose brow band, micklem bridle
- try different bits
- have an equine massage person work on pressure release round head
- cranium massage/manipulation
- bowen therapy (this showed most benefit to my horse)
- scoping
- different suppliments - both for head shakers or if a mare a good mare suppliment (oestress helped mine the most!)
- nose net
- full face mask
- ride different times of day in different conditions
- try low protein feed/starch feed/alfalfa etc (ie cut out different feeds)
- try differnet hay suppliers/haylage etc
- try simply riding through it (a tricky one - make sure you eliminate other things/pain related first - only then try this - ie my mare is better if distracted - made to think - transitions etc)

good luck - its demopralising but there are many things that you can try

mine has stopped - same time she showed as having sinus problems - she now about to go in for MRI scan and possible op on sinus's

whizzer

Visit site
Mine head shakes partly because of the mane/forelock touching ears issue & a ear cover sorts this. He also head shakes from spring to early autumn with the pollen, he's always slightly done this but he's had sinus surgery 3 times over last 2 years & the head shaking has got worse. A nose net helps & avoiding walking him through long grass & near big hedges as these seem to be a trigger for it. It's manageable but I was relieved when late autumn arrived & the pollen issue stopped, if the pollens not setting him off then the mane tickling ears seems to irritate him less!

digitalangel

Visit site
What posie has said below is fantastic. Ive had a real struggle with my headshaker - i did all the things below - including changing saddle fitters which really made a difference. i also find he is worse if the saddlepad moves around at all, so try to get really good fitting saddlepad. My horse also does it less the fitter he is - also when warming up letting him go long and low and stretching really helps. i essentially do have to ride him through it though. He also has had his forelock plaited, his browband removed, massage done to the TMJ regularly.

That said, my horse has had trauma around the ears, causing calcification meaning one ear paralysed and he has slight muzzle deviation so with him its a bit of a special case. He also hardly does it at competitions or when distracted ( ie will shake like a bugger behind hacking, but hardly at all when in front )

What ive basically found is that if there is *anything* annoying him, he will shake.
there are so many things to try - i'll list some that i've tried on my horse - some might work - some might not

- check back etc
- check saddle fit
- teeth checked by an EDT - not just a vet ;) - xrays if unsure (360' not just normal ones)
- check bridle fit - try no noseband, loose brow band, micklem bridle
- try different bits
- have an equine massage person work on pressure release round head
- cranium massage/manipulation
- bowen therapy (this showed most benefit to my horse)
- scoping
- different suppliments - both for head shakers or if a mare a good mare suppliment (oestress helped mine the most!)
- nose net
- full face mask
- ride different times of day in different conditions
- try low protein feed/starch feed/alfalfa etc (ie cut out different feeds)
- try differnet hay suppliers/haylage etc
- try simply riding through it (a tricky one - make sure you eliminate other things/pain related first - only then try this - ie my mare is better if distracted - made to think - transitions etc)

good luck - its demopralising but there are many things that you can try

mine has stopped - same time she showed as having sinus problems - she now about to go in for MRI scan and possible op on sinus's

absgail

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies its really helpful. I have looked up headshaking on various sites and he doesnt seem to fit any of the symptoms apart from the obvious. Mane and forelock do not seem to bother him at any other times including when working on lunge line but I will try plaiting it. His brow band could be a bit tight actually so that is something I will definitely look in to. I will also try the nose bag and Posie I will be working my way through your suggestions. I think I am going to see what the back lady says next week to see if the issue is there or if I need to start ruling out these other things. I will print this and work my way through trial and error! Thanks everyone.

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
Hi - I do sympathize as my mare rubs her nose a lot when out hacking and I'm sure it is a form of headshaking. I'm still at the observation/assessment stage with it but here's a link which looks as if it could be useful: http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/dbs/research/headshaking/ethogram.htm

Thank you so much for posting this link. I never thought my boy was a headshaker but just going through those symptoms there are about 4 there that he does :eek:. What would the prevention be for scratching nose on fore leg/stables etc - has anyone had luck with nose nets?

Sorry to hijack OP :eek:

absgail

Visit site
I too would like to know if anyone has used nose nets and what ones are best? Has anyone used Equilibrium Net Relie Muzzle Net? Are there cheaper ones I could use as a trial?

d_morrow

Visit site
I've used the Equilibrium nose net and it appeared to make a slight difference. Billy Bob-Sleigh - I haven't found an answer for the nose rubbing yet - hence my nose net is full of holes from madam scrubbing her nose on the stable wall as soon as we get back from a ride! 0:/

absgail

Visit site
Oh yes sorry, will try with tights. Have now lunged with saddle on and no issues. Lunged lastnight with saddle on but in his bridle and still no headshaking. So I dont think the nose band or brow band/any part of bridle or even bit is effecting him. Seems like it is when there is weight on his back so hopefully the back lady with uncover something next week. The saga continues.

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
Hmm, lots of trial and error I think to pin point exactly where the source of discomfort is coming from. My lads favourite scratching post when we get back from a ride is his haynet, there's a look of bliss in his eyes as he's scratching his whole head on it and then scrapes his lips along with top of the wall! Bless.