Horse hates the school!

Amy&

Visit site
I have recently gotten a new horse, he is only 4 and just coming back into work after being turned away for a little while.

He is lovely to hack, forward going, doesn't spook much and seems to really enjoy himself. We go out alone and I will happily ride him on a loose rein, he always listens to me and although he is eager to get going he is never strong.

However in the school his is a completely different horse. He completely ignores me, goes where he wants to go, very strong, a little bugger!!

I am hoping to get an instructor out to help us but just wondered if anybody on here had any hints and tips as well.

What he basically does is just drag me over to the gate, if I can get him moving forwards away from the gate he will just drag me straight back over there. He ignores me completely and we just end up fighting against each other.
I have tried all sorts but he just seems to HATE the school!

paulineh

Visit site
Have you tried working in the field , put cones out as the shape of the school.

One of mine does not like working in the school. He just feels bored, although he is responsive out on a hack.

Cocorules

Visit site
Try putting obstacles up that he has to go over and round while you school as it gives them more of a job to do. Also try stopping regularly at the opposite end of the school to where he naps towards and generally working away from where he wants to be. He is still young and will find schooling harder so do build up his fitness on hacks and school on hacks too. You want to keep him mentally willing at this stage so keep it as fun as possible.

Amy&

Visit site
We don't really have a field suitable for schooling in, but we do try and do some schooling out on hacks.

Obstacles don't work for us either, somebody left a bunch of jumps out in the school and I didn't bother to move them, instead of being obstacles he just barged past all of them, knocking them all over.
I do try to keep him at the opposite end of the school to the gate but most of the time we don't even make it that far before he plants at the gate and refuses to move.

kirstyl

Visit site
Hi, get yourself an instructor asap and get some support and guidance. Good luck, he'll come round!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Doesn't sound like he "hates" the school, just doesn't have a clue what to do there. Hacking is great to get horses out and about and "following the road", but to install the buttons you really do need to work on circles, corners, figures, etc. Yes, you can do a lot of things whilst hacking, but you need to be sure that it's YOU he's listening to, not just following his nose. As Kirstyl says, get thee to an instructor.