Horse health / first aid book

little_critter

Visit site
Following on from my thread on my pony's cough and when to call the vet.
Can anyone suggest a good horse health / first aid book.
I already have veterinary notes for horse owners (the grey one) but it's a bit too technical.
What I want is something like:

Coughs
If it's gone on for x length of time
If they are producing snot
If temp raised
Then call vet, otherwise treat at home and keep an eye out for Xyz

Cuts
If it's in x location
If it won't stop bleeding
If it's bigger than y
Call vet, otherwise keep clean and look out for abc

Can anyone suggest some good books?
TIA

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Our vet practice did a group first aid night, you could ask them.
We used a very patient old mare to practice bandaging and vital signs, and some bought a First Aid kit.
All you need in addition to the obvious, are some bags of sterile saline to wash wounds off , as plain water can cause a sort of imbalance in a flesh wound/tear, so, you just get rid of gross soil with hose but clean it with saline. I like to have four days [eight sachets] of Danilon in stock to tide me over a weekend, also most vets prescribe that for minor issues and then re assess, but of course, you should discuss with your vet, most will give free phone advice at weekend.

Vets round here use tamed iodine rather than Hibiscrub nowadays, either way use well diluted. Use disposable gloves to prevent spread of any infection, and

Last edited:

Max123

Visit site
I have Veterinary Care of the horse by Sue Devereux and Liz Morrison. It has an easy to follow lay out - Clinical Signs, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prognosis

little_critter

Visit site
Our vet practice did a group first aid night, you could ask them.
We used a very patient old mare to practice bandaging and vital signs, and some bought a First Aid kit.
All you need in addition to the obvious, are some bags of sterile saline to wash wounds off , as plain water can cause a sort of imbalance in a flesh wound/tear, so, you just get rid of gross soil with hose but clean it with saline. I like to have four days [eight sachets] of Danilon in stock to tide me over a weekend, also most vets prescribe that for minor issues and then re assess, but of course, you should discuss with your vet, most will give free phone advice at weekend.

Vets round here use tamed iodine rather than Hibiscrub nowadays, either way use well diluted. Use disposable gloves to prevent spread of any infection, and

And....gah, a cliffhanger!