horse heights and peoples perceptions

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
H was advertised as 14.2 but when our vet came out to do his vetting she just laughed and said he's a rather large 14.2! Turns out he's a still slightly bum high 15hh.

quirky

Visit site
It does so i will put it in tots language. I have a 13.3 pony whom i show, I have been told by other people in classes that he cant possibly be 13.3 and shouldn't be in the class because it's for 'ponies' (14.2 'n under) And max he may possibly be 14hh/14.1hh but that is still a pony so i was just claiming who rude some can be.

How can he be 13.3 and at a maximum 14.1?
That's liking me saying I'm 5'5" but sometimes I'm 5'7". I'm not, I'm always 5'5".

I had my 14.3 (bought as a 'full up' 14.2) sticked at the vets, just out of interest. Yes, she came in at 14.3 but the vet said "we can get in at 14.2".
Now I know this is common practice but I didn't expect it to be offered on a plate, I always thought it was done on the sly.
I didn't go through such shenanigans, she is what she is :)

HaffiesRock

Visit site
My pony was sold to me as 14 hands. On viewing and for the first week I had him home he was very tense and looked 14hh. As he settled and relaxed he shrunk! Measuring stick says he 13.1 1/2! He was a nervous rescue so the dealer could be forgiven for guessing his height I suppose. If he had been advertised at 13.2 I would never had viewed him and missed out on my awesome pony! Also he lacks wither so 13.2 is pretty much his back and he rides much bigger.

Going to see a pony for loan today who is down as 13.3 but looks small in the pictures. Will see when I get there!

nic85

Visit site
Oh people like to make out their horses are bigger because it means they are better riders ( seriously, this how I read people who boast about their 17.3hh warmblood/Hunter) :p

I have a standard Shetland who is exactly 42inches /10.2hh a lot of people (even on here!) Have said he looks more Welsh than Shetland ....nope definitely Shetland he was born abd bred on the Shetland Islands on a Shetland Stud :D

I also have a 4year old Warmblood x TB and she stands at about 16.2hh I haven't measured her for a while as she is still growing so I'm limiting myself to once a year :p A lot of people have said she looks huge and are surprised when I say she 16.2 at last measurement.

I rode a friend's cob for a saddle fitting and he was only about 15.1-2 but he rode like an 18hh horse! His trot was huge!

I also think it's what suits you, I thought I looked very much the same on 14hh, 15hh and 17hh but my non horsey Husband says I look like a bag of crp on small horses, I look better on 16hh + ........so I got a bigger horse :)

texas

Visit site
There were two 16.2s on my yard but due to neck set and head carriage they didn't look the same height. Also I bought two full up 12hh ponies. .. one is definitely taller than the other but seeing as measuring sticks eat ponies, I've no idea of actual measurements.

Cowpony

Visit site
I have a very reliable method for judging height - I am exactly 15 hands high, so if I can look down on their withers they are definitely 14.2 or less :) Not much good for other heights, but it gives me a rough idea. My pony is slightly bum high, doesn't have high withers and has a huge trot, so I am constantly being told she MUST be bigger than 14.2. Well, not unless I've grown 2 inches....at the age of 52 :p!