Horse herd bound anxious behaviour help!

geegee84

Visit site
A friend of mine bought a show horse x cob about 5/6 months ago.

she is 6 years old and in her previous home led a fast paced lifestyle, she hunted, show jumped, did cross country and fun rides. She lived out in a herd of mares all her life. She had been in that home since birth.

She is very forward going on hacks has loads of energy she can be ok in the school though she can have her moments.

Her current turnout situation is individual paddocks on a livery yard, she has horses next to her but none share the field.

The main problem is that when my friend takes her up to the yard she won't stand still and will eventually rear and break away and run back down to the fields, if she is put in her stable she won't eat and just calls out all the time. She has been on a magnesium supplement and it hasn't made any difference so the assumption has been made that she's not lacking in that.

has anyone dealt with this kind of behaviour and what did you do to help the horse.
Any comments will be greatly appreciated :)

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
The answer is loud and clear in your own post - you have taken on a horse that thrived in full time work and being in company, and turned things right round to the opposite for it. No wonder the poor horse is so upset - you have to think about this from the horse's point of view.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
The answer is loud and clear in your own post - you have taken on a horse that thrived in full time work and being in company, and turned things right round to the opposite for it. No wonder the poor horse is so upset - you have to think about this from the horse's point of view.

Good point to be fair :)

Would live to know what my brats excuse is though lol. He hasnt done any work :eek:
In fairness with mine I feel alot of it is a huge lack of confidence :(

risky business

Visit site
No real advice but if she's lived on the same yard her whole life this move is a massive change for her and I'd say it's going to be a long while before she comes around to the fact things are different now.

I don't personally like individual turnout and it's going to be strange for her having previously lived in a herd situation.

I hope she settles down soon and someone can offer some ideas to help her along.

geegee84

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, Yes we had thought that this was the issue but is there anyway to help her settle into a quieter life? I know 5/6 months isn't a long time but she seems to be getting worse. There isn't the facility for group turnout at the current yard so unfortunately that's not an option.

JillA

Visit site
I had one here who had only ever lived on his own or with his dam until she died. He came here and was so thrilled to have company he suffered badly from separation anxiety and was built like a brick ***** house so not a lot of fun.
Basically he had to learn to cope with very short periods building to longer ones, and that he would go back to the field mates he so treasured after all that time on his own. Ground work helped too, to focus his attention on something other than the other horses. There is no quick fix though, it takes time to start small and build, never ever keeping him away long enough to exhibit a stress reaction. Start with a feed and gradually extend the delay after she finishes before she goes back out, a bit like gradual weaning of a foal.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yes, you can work on SA by building up the time away from other horses slowly. I've done it and it can be extremely effective.

In this case though, I think the horse is always stressed as individual turnout doesn't suit this mare. I would find a yard with group turnout.

geegee84

Visit site
Thanks jillA that sound like a good plan, how long we're you able to take yours away from the other for before he started to stress?

JillA

Visit site
Thanks jillA that sound like a good plan, how long we're you able to take yours away from the other for before he started to stress?

To begin with just as long as he was tucking into his feed - we kept him outdoors so he could see them because he had never been in a stable either :(. I honestly can't remember but he was in his 20's so well confirmed in his behaviour. Eventually he went to a loan home where the lady was very very low key with him and she had him hacking out on his own after a few weeks. The whole process has to be gradual and at a pace they can cope with, they are all different but Cassidy was the worst I have known and he did learn to cope.
I would start off with as little as counting to 10 after she has finished her feed and watch carefully for her to begin to get anxious.

joelb

Visit site
SA is one of my pet hates as it can be extremely dangerous. My girl was rising 4 and unhandled when I got her and I’m certain she’d never been away from the herd. It’s difficult to overcome and mine still panics if there’s even a hint she’ll be left out alone (we are on individual t/o but she needs someone next door). Oddly we hack very confidently alone and she loves her stable and would happily stay on the yard by herself 24/7. Absolutely agree with JillA, I would focus on ground work to build a bond with the mare, it sounds like there’s something lacking in the relationship if the horse is solely focussed on getting back to her field mates.

geegee84

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, yes shes fine out hacking quite confident not spooky or anything it's just on the yard. And the relationship thing might be a valid point too as my friend said the horse doesn't really have much interest in her especially on the yard. :/

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Thinking further, have you thought about trying a calmer ? Heard good things about both Topspec and Naf calmers. Perhaps search on here for a really good one. If things get really bad, do speak to your vet for advice - in emergencies Sedalin can be very helpful for a few days.

Do let us know how you get on.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, Yes we had thought that this was the issue but is there anyway to help her settle into a quieter life? I know 5/6 months isn't a long time but she seems to be getting worse. There isn't the facility for group turnout at the current yard so unfortunately that's not an option.

Then it would probably be best to move yards.
This poor horse has been used to living with other horses available for mutual grooming and other interactions, being able to move from one group/companion to another. Now it is stuck in a 'cell' with the same horses on each side all the time but no way of touching them.
I would put this horse back into a herd situation and then remove it from the herd for short periods, increasing the length of time gradually, being prepared for this to be a long process.

Archiepoo

Visit site
my horse came to me after a lifetime of being a professional eventer ,he came to me to have a happy hacking retirement and quieter life -- but nobody told him! he hates not being busy and loathes not getting out and about so hes officially un-retired now. maybe you should try to emulate your horses old life and you fit in around it rather than the other way around. personally your yard sounds wonderful but your horse doesnt seem to agree!

babymare

Visit site
Being on her own or with one other previous to me owning her Baby lived for her herd turnout. She could not come in alone etc. But i had to accept that as she was also dreadfully abused. Her huge stress problems had to be micro managed. Again i knew that when i bought her. Sometimes you have to accept and cope with a horses behaviour(in no way was she dangerous. infact sweetest mare you could want)given their past all which i knew. plus she was half blind to :( so yes my life revolved round her. Hard work but never once regretted it :)

Mister Ted

Visit site
My 13yr old gelding suffered anxiety separation for as long as we had him and even in an individual paddock with horses on either side did not suit him and he would go over or under the electric fence just to be with them.He just loved company and would go crazy if left on his own which we tried never to do.
I dont think there is training to revert this and some have said it is a result of being weaned too early.He liked to be first in during winter and would get anxious if not.
I had to resort to moving yards as his field companion moved away and there was no suitable companion for him. I found a small private yard locally with two cheeky shetlands who were rarely out the field.This suited my horse and he visibly relaxed over time and he had a few great years with them.
Then one of them died sadly but he didnt seem too upset as he still had some company. Eventually he succumbed to old age and was put to sleep.
I dont think there is a remedy except to ensure he has company all the time.It is very sad to know they are so distressed and it is a big strain on you.
I was prepared to take on a small pony from the Blue Cross if necessary for another companion but things "worked out" I suppose with moving in a way.