Horse Hoarder follow up program

jokadoka

Visit site
Sorry being ignorant but what is S4C, can't find it on tv guide online.

Apologies about lack of questionmark, key has gone on strike

jokadoka

Visit site
Oh, I see, don't suppose I can get that here in France, shame......
Wonder why they don't put it out on "mainstream" channel 4 like last time

Thanks, Amymay

lelly

Visit site
We have freeview but I'm not sure where freeview 4 is. Sorry may be being a bit thick. Channel 4 is on our freeview number 4. If you could enlighten me amymay I would be very grateful. :)

pipwat

Visit site
I did I must admit to swinging between feeling sorry for clwyd then annoyed when he said he had about 19 horses as they have foals every year. Why didnt michelle use the money from the sale of the horses and geld any remaining colts? Im in two minds over this. Cant decide if the pair of them were trying to make money as he referred to it as a business after the sentencing or if the horses helped with all the past troubles in his life. Either way I do hope he is ok and is found regardless of the hows,what ifs and treatment or lack of treatment of the horses

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I did I must admit to swinging between feeling sorry for clwyd then annoyed when he said he had about 19 horses as they have foals every year. Why didnt michelle use the money from the sale of the horses and geld any remaining colts? Im in two minds over this. Cant decide if the pair of them were trying to make money as he referred to it as a business after the sentencing or if the horses helped with all the past troubles in his life. Either way I do hope he is ok and is found regardless of the hows,what ifs and treatment or lack of treatment of the horses

Interestingly someone offered to organise gelding the colts, all paid for, but the offer was never taken up.

I think the programme gave some clarity to a few things I'd been wondering about. And certainly Ms Crowther and Mr Davies seemed to have a nice little business going (nothing wrong with that). It was just such a shame that someone who possibly had the best of intentions was simply to inexperienced to help effectively.

The horses in the programme looked really well. It was the over breeding that was the problem, and the declining health in some of the horses that ultimately caused the problem. I think it says a lot that Mr Davies considered it normal for a 'blood' horse to come out of winter looking emaciated.

I'm still at a loss to understand why proper care couldn't be given to the horses over the winter - after all what use is a tractor if you're not going to use it:rolleyes:

I also found it interesting that despite reports to the contrary, Mr Davies had a mobile phone and was internet savvy. Which of course he has every right to have, and be. He's not quite the ignoramus made out by his friends - far from it.

I actually wish him well for the future. Hope he turns up somewhere safe, and lives out the remainder of his days in better conditions and with less horses.

jokadoka

Visit site
Agree with a lot of that amymay. It clarified a lot for me too.

I think it's a sad situation all round.

Agree too, but was also slightly miffed by his statement about the bloodhorses coming out of winter emaciated was quite 'normal'.

Not really sure what to make of any of it anymore, can't decide whether the situation just got out of control for him, or whether he thought he was above the law....

Do hope he is found safe and well.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I thought the program clarified a lot. I swung between warming to him and then feeling annoyed that he just let the horses breed willy nilly, even actively buying a stallion.

He kept saying he wasn't cruel, but to collect horses in the way he did with no means to worm and tend to their feet and vaccinations etc is neglect in the extreme. Had he been an old man with 2 or 3 old mares then his story may have been acceptable. You cannot 'love' and properly look after 54 horses in his situation and it seemed he kept them all for purely selfish reasons. I liked Michelle - I wish I could have her patience :)

Dobiegirl

Visit site
The horses in the programme didnt look too bad but they all had thick wooly coats and I wonder what they would have looked like on closer inspection.

The herd had been reduced, the worst cases having been taken away by the RSPCA so it did give a false impression but I am very sure if he had removed those colts the RSPCA would have been more amenable. Why the colts were not removed they never explained except to blame the weather and the truth fb page. The weather was bad but even so someone else had managed to get in and dump more horses:rolleyes: Also the fact that someone had offered to come in with their vet and castrate the colts for free, this was rejected and I can only come to the conclusion that Clwyd wanted the mares impregnated even if it was by their sons:eek::mad:

Clwyd also said if his horses were engines and he failed to give it oil people wouldnt be up in arms about it, the interviewer pointed out that horses are living things and would suffer.

I would have loved to have seen what ended up on the cutting room floor though.:)

lula

Visit site
i thought it spoke volumes that the fb Support page congregation's most oft used phrase .. 'but he loved those horses/they were his family' seemed at rather odds with Clywd's own words when asked by the interviewer if he loved them he replied, (after thinking about it) :

'well, i prefer them to sheep..'

and finally:

'i dont know.'

Not exactly an overwhelming yes then.

fburton

Visit site
I read that Clwyd's case was discussed at his local BHS committee meeting. Their suggestion was that he should be left two horses and their care monitored. That seems quite a sensible suggestion. Anyone know why that wasn't possible or could not have been tried?

lula

Visit site
I read that Clwyd's case was discussed at his local BHS committee meeting. Their suggestion was that he should be left two horses and their care monitored. That seems quite a sensible suggestion. Anyone know why that wasn't possible or could not have been tried?

Because the judge decided so.

Perhaps it was decided the fact he was squatting and could soon be homeless it wasn't a stable enviroment to allow him to retain any. Or left with any the numbers could still mount again, i really dont know the logic behind the ban, but the sentencing would have been down to the judge with recommendations from the RSPCA.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
i thought it spoke volumes that the fb Support page congregation's most oft used phrase .. 'but he loved those horses/they were his family' seemed at rather odds with Clywd's own words when asked by the interviewer if he loved them he replied, (after thinking about it) :

'well, i prefer them to sheep..'

and finally:

'i dont know.'

Not exactly an overwhelming yes then.

Indeed his own words, wonder how they would explain away that, I thought the interview with his cousin was interesting and he said that Clwyd was rough with the horses. Even MC had to stop him sack waving when the horses were safely in the barn.

frozzy

Visit site
I read on facebook that he has been traced safe in France. A lady's name was given (which I cannot now remember!) but he is alive safe and well.