Horse hunting - Andalucian

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Our horse hunt continues - went to see the 4 yo 15.2 Shire x on Saturday - lovely little horse (little being the operative word), certainly not a shire x., we thought prob a welsh x cob. He been measured with one of those special elasticated measuring sticks - too small for us but owner said Sophie (daughter) can go and ride him any time she likes - so if anyone in Norfolk area is looking for something of that type check my previous threads or pm me.

Anyhoo - next to see(on friday) is a 15.3 Andalucian - low mileage, 7.5 years old, never jumped (allegedly owners never tried) - QUESTION - Do Andys jump - are they trainable, is 7 too old to start? Any advice from Andy owners much appreciated ( my sister worked with them in spain and looooves them - but she is slightly mad and a bit biased!)

I also have a 15.3 welsh sec D to ring about too. May ask her to confrim in triplicate that it is indeed 15.3 first.

We are also condering phoning about a welsh x suffolk punch, 16.3, 4yo and curently being broken, however at £3750 I am wondering if it would be better to get something fully broken - he is a very scrummy maxci cob/heavyweight hunter type - but handsome is as handsome does.

If these are not positive we may have to bite the bullet and did deep into our pockets and go with the Fab ISH she tried at the dealer a couple of weeks ago - but unless we can negotiate the price down I may need to sell a kidney.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Shire x's can be small mine is only 15hh! Lol I also have an andalusian x youngster, I find she can be loving, smart and brave. But on the flip side if she gets bored then is sharp. I have had to spend a while teaching her leading manners as she liked to rear/buck at everything! Now that I have sorted that it's moving on to riding now! I know that thre have been a few top Andalusian jumpers so I think they are perfectly capable.

PRELover

Visit site
My lad is a PRE (pure bred spanish horse) and I can certainly vouch for the breed as being very versatile horses. My lad (at 4) jumps, hacks, schools (he picked up leg yield and shoulder in in a couple of 20 minute sessions!), he has been to his first clear round show and was impeccably behaved if excited... They are extremely brave and trainable and I would recommend them to anyone!

If you are specifically looking to buy an Andy, I would very certainly recommend the people I bought Bo from - they quite litterally have restored my faith in buying from people!!!

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you their details. They're based in Essex, but I can safely say that they are worth the trek from any part of the country - I live 4/5 hours away from them!!!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If you want to jump, then buy a jumper. PRE's certainly "can" jump - they are very athletic - but wouldn't be my choice if that was what I specifically wanted to do (it would be a waste, IMO). I love Spanish purebreds to distraction, but i wouldn't jump one.

Herts05

Visit site
PREs can jump as has been said already. If you have questions or want any advice log onto FB as BAPSH have a very active group on here.
Whilst there are some lovely horses around, they are not always the easiest and there are some "rogue traders" out there - just need to see some of the threads on here.
I love my PRE - who jumps 1m10 very easily and has to wear a stud girth as there is no way he wants to touch a jump. He is very brave, very biddable but not a novice ride. Not a breed to buy "blind" I would say.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
They all sound lovely and that is three heavy crosses vs one finer spaniard! Which also, by the way, have you checked is a PRE with papers? If not then you could be buying Spains Heinz 57 Brand - which is probably what you want so sorry if pry too much...

PRE's can jump contrary to popular belief, they jump in Spain and I think a few affiliate here in UK... youtube is the place to look. The reason why no-one sees them jumping is because they are traditionally seen as dressage horses and the purists want to keep them that way and secondly, there just isn't that many of them... so for every 1 PRE, there are about a hundred and more jumping horses/ponies so they don't get a look in really!

Any photos of these beauties?

Andalusianlover1

Visit site
I have a pure bred registerd PRE and he jumps like a stag, preferably X-country. Easily pops round BE 90 height and completed his first open HT at the end of last season. Has SJ over 1m, has a very solid brain and is extremely trainable.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
What's your budget and what do you want? Will ask mum if she's been told of anything recently...

Thanks L - will PM you, we have the farrier, Tamsin and several others on the case. I am sure we will find some thing eventualy. Problem is - how can any thing compare to Almera? She was certainly unique.

legyield

Visit site
I've never jumped a PRE but worked at an international dressage yard in Barcelona, which consisted of 95% PRE horses, and can vouch for how wonderful they are. Absolutely beautiful horses, very genuine and extremely intelligent. As mentioned above, yes they are usually used solely for dressage but there's no reason why you couldn't introduce jumping if it interested you and the horse was right for you otherwise. I hope when I'm in the position to buy another, a PRE could be an option. They are normally fairly pricey though.
Good luck with the horse hunt!

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Thanks folks - useful feedback as ever. We are not looking neccessarily for a jumper, or any 'type'. We just want a nice young (4-8) horse to bring on as an allround family/RC mount, so jumping wise scope for 3ft - 3ft6 would be plenty.

We both like a more 'substantial' horse, not neccessarily heavy or tall, just something with good shoulders and depth of girth - Sophie has V long legs for her height, esp from hip to knee so doesnt feel comfy on finer horses. We are being drawn to Mid/HW hunters, chunkier ISH, and any mix of cob, ID, Heavy or native.

If you wish for a nose here are the links to what we have been perusing recently - gorg but exspensive ISH is not there as he is not on the dealers website ATM and I dont like to post pictures of someone elses horse.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/104375230/beautiful-andalusian.html

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/s...ntermaxi-cob-broken-in-massive-potential.html

http://www.horsemart.co.uk/all_rounder_horse_7_yrs_9_mths_15_3_hh_chestnut_norfolk/advert/205441

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I've never jumped a PRE but worked at an international dressage yard in Barcelona, which consisted of 95% PRE horses, and can vouch for how wonderful they are. Absolutely beautiful horses, very genuine and extremely intelligent. As mentioned above, yes they are usually used solely for dressage but there's no reason why you couldn't introduce jumping if it interested you and the horse was right for you otherwise. I hope when I'm in the position to buy another, a PRE could be an option. They are normally fairly pricey though.
Good luck with the horse hunt!

Pricey - yes. My sister worked with them in Spain and keeps on at me to look for something spanish - but the price has always had me quaking in my shoes, not sure if the one we are going to see is papered, probably not from the price, and it doesnt realy matter to us (plus he is a gelding) -he just looks and sounds like a 'nice horse'.

minkymoo

Visit site
"I don't have an pics on hand at the moment of my new PRE part-bred youngster, but she is by Lengueto V who I believe is a prolific sire in England out of a TB mare and she is registered! Would love to see pics of other peoples!"
Did you get him from Star Andalusians? I got my little lad from there, Sam is just lovely and I'm so pleased with him! Lengueto is gorgeous!!

tallyho!

Visit site
What a way to sell a horse..... hmmm... lets see if you can spot it.... oh THERE it is, halfway down the road... hilarious!!

I LOVE section D's so am biased when I say my fave is Aeronwen... like the cob but love the sec d...

Just wish I could see the Andalusian....

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
What a way to sell a horse..... hmmm... lets see if you can spot it.... oh THERE it is, halfway down the road... hilarious!!

I LOVE section D's so am biased when I say my fave is Aeronwen... like the cob but love the sec d...

Just wish I could see the Andalusian....

The pics people use amaze me. The vendor has some better pics - but I dont think it appropriate to post them when its not my horse! Whereas a advert is alredy in the public domain

tallyho!

Visit site
Quite, yes I agree with not posting private photos, it just makes me laugh :D

Took me a few months to buy V but you just "know"....

Just wondered... have you considered appaloosa or appy crosses? I am biased, having M, but good all-rounders and can fly around the jumps!

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Quite, yes I agree with not posting private photos, it just makes me laugh :D

Took me a few months to buy V but you just "know"....

Just wondered... have you considered appaloosa or appy crosses? I am biased, having M, but good all-rounders and can fly around the jumps!

We would consider anything - its just finding the right shape to suit!