Horse Hunting? Help Please!

FreyaB

Visit site
Also posted in TR

Hi everyone, hope you've had some pleasant weather where you are as I know that's definitely helped riding in the dark is the fact there hasn't been much rain!

So, I have a bit of a favour to ask you all, since I made the heartbreaking decision to sell my gelding as he deserves a more experienced rider and I need a more experienced horse, I am now currently entering the minefield otherwise know as horse hunting.

Since I don't have a horsey background or much knowledge/experience in the area of horse buying I thought I would turn to all of you for help! My RI unfortunately doesn't really have time to be looking with me for horses as she runs school livery yard (where my gelding is kept) as well as schooling my horse and her own youngster.

I do have a rough idea (I think) of the kind of horse I would like and have found a few I like but am also open to any suggestions, as its always nice to find a horse through word of mouth etc.
I ideally would like something between 15.3 - 16.2, 8-11yrs, good BE record up to BE100, preferably with scope to go/experience at novice as my aim would be to do BE100u18 then maybe go on to ONu18 if the horse would be so inclined. Decent paces, honest and bold when jumping, good to box, shoe, clip etc. Breed and appearance not important, though wouldn't complain if it was pretty! I've been spoilt with three beautiful horses.

I'm a decent rider, not a novice but nothing spectacular though one thing is I do gain confidence from the horse so would like something established that knows its job and doesn't need nannying as I don't have enough experience or confidence to do so.

Horses I've found
http://www.britisheventing.com/class....aspx?pid=7064
http://www.horsequest.co.uk/search.a...1&c=&rn=100150 & video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2dUWJBkBbs

Thank you anyone who replies!

Lexi_

Visit site
If my memory serves me rightly, I think the second one is owned by one of the girls who works for Horse & Country TV and Hickstead and she's only selling as she's got two and doesn't have time for both. (I follow her on Twitter and she seems really nice and genuine). He's a good bargain!

If I've got her horse mixed up with an entirely different one, whoops!

FreyaB

Visit site
If my memory serves me rightly, I think the second one is owned by one of the girls who works for Horse & Country TV and Hickstead and she's only selling as she's got two and doesn't have time for both. (I follow her on Twitter and she seems really nice and genuine). He's a good bargain!

Thank you! Hadn't heard of her before so that's nice to know:)

DollyPentreath

Visit site
Realistically, if you want a good BE record, in that age bracket, with no hang ups you need around 10k. Especially if the horse is with a pro. If you're willing to look at older horses then prices will start to reduce. Of course there's always a chance of getting lucky or you could get something cheaper without a record. At this time of year there are a lot of junior riders going off to uni so it's a good time to find the sort you're after.

Firewell

Visit site
Second horse is lovely! I think a TB is a good choice if you want a confidence giving XC ride, if they are good they are very good :).

be positive

Visit site
Second horse is lovely! I think a TB is a good choice if you want a confidence giving XC ride, if they are good they are very good :).

Have you looked at its record? certainly not a schoolmaster horse for a young rider, out of 9 events it has never SJ clear, its xc is not great even when ridden by pros and it has only done BE90 never having a score in the top 20 so hardly competitive even at that level, the OP wants to go to BE100, the ad reads far better than the record shows, it is cheap enough but would be a big gamble for anyone wanting to go out and be successful.

almostthere

Visit site
Have you looked at its record? certainly not a schoolmaster horse for a young rider, out of 9 events it has never SJ clear, its xc is not great even when ridden by pros and it has only done BE90 never having a score in the top 20 so hardly competitive even at that level, the OP wants to go to BE100, the ad reads far better than the record shows, it is cheap enough but would be a big gamble for anyone wanting to go out and be successful.

Was thinking the same OP. FWIW - look very carefully at records. Yes some have genuine reasons or blips but my own personal experience leads me to be wary of horses that have only gone well for pros and esp male pros. That doesn't mean write them off but just be aware that someone who rides 10 horses a day will be very different to a one or two horse amateur just in terms of riding fitness/strength.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Realistically, if you want a good BE record, in that age bracket, with no hang ups you need around 10k. Especially if the horse is with a pro. If you're willing to look at older horses then prices will start to reduce. Of course there's always a chance of getting lucky or you could get something cheaper without a record. At this time of year there are a lot of junior riders going off to uni so it's a good time to find the sort you're after.

Which is more the spec of the first horse in the link.

Good luck OP if I wanted to compete I would need similar and would be avoiding anything that referred to talent or potential and go older if I needed to to stay in budget.

oldie48

Visit site
I'd just be very cautious with any horse being competed/prepared by a professional, if it's not going clear with a professional rider then I'd definitely walk away, even if it was going clear, I'd be wary, a pro will get a very average horse round the lower BE courses. Personally, i'd be looking for a horse that has been competed by an amateur and preferably an amateur of a similar standard to you but these are often quite expensive.

Chirmapops

Visit site
I'd just be very cautious with any horse being competed/prepared by a professional, if it's not going clear with a professional rider then I'd definitely walk away, even if it was going clear, I'd be wary, a pro will get a very average horse round the lower BE courses. Personally, i'd be looking for a horse that has been competed by an amateur and preferably an amateur of a similar standard to you but these are often quite expensive.

This is a fair point - BUT an amateur could cause all sorts of problems through inexperience, which is far less likely to happen with a pro. I think the thing to do when buying from professionals is have a look at their records, google them, ahve a look on YouTube, try to get a sense of how they ride/train etc. My instructor is a pro eventer and I would never hesitate to buy a horse from her, but that's because I know her training and riding styles fit well with my own. A pro is also (theoretically) more likely to want to protect their reputation, so shouldn't sell you something completely unsuitable, and if they're classed as a dealer you'll be covered by the Sale of Goods act, which you won't be if you buy privately.

oldie48

Visit site
Sorry i should have said provided that it had a good record with the amateur!
This is a fair point - BUT an amateur could cause all sorts of problems through inexperience, which is far less likely to happen with a pro. I think the thing to do when buying from professionals is have a look at their records, google them, ahve a look on YouTube, try to get a sense of how they ride/train etc. My instructor is a pro eventer and I would never hesitate to buy a horse from her, but that's because I know her training and riding styles fit well with my own. A pro is also (theoretically) more likely to want to protect their reputation, so shouldn't sell you something completely unsuitable, and if they're classed as a dealer you'll be covered by the Sale of Goods act, which you won't be if you buy privately.

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
Saw a video of "strathtyrum pioneer" on Facebook. http://youtu.be/n-XmZKFwogc

I have no connections with owner just looked an honest sort.

This is my lovely horse - do get in touch if you would like more info. He really is a lovely sort, a genuine confidence-giving chap who has introduced me to the wonderful world of eventing this year at BE100. Love him, would keep him if I could...