Horse hunting, is it just me?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I'm finding a hell of a lot of horses are ridden into the ground at a young age, and it seems to happen more if they show potential. The worst was a rising 4 year-old (so actually THREE) that was jumping courses of 1.20 at home. Poor thing will be crippled by 7 :(.

It is all down to the bottom line for many producers and as long as there are buyers with pots of money willing to buy forced youngsters the practice will continue sadly. The warmbloods seem to be the types that get pushed so early. My pair of 5 year olds are just starting prelims but if there were being produced for sale they would be miles behind others of their age group. They are only cobs but need to stay sound to have a useful life.

My old vet had a wonderful mantra - 'The less they do before they are 5 the more they will do after they are 15'. That has stayed with me forever and I am a great believer in that wisdom.

Shantara

Visit site
YO was looking for a pony for her daughter and it was such an ordeal! Lame ponies, ponies which were being sold as perfect who bucked or other such naughtiness, things which were so fat they were seriously verging on laminitic...I could go on. It's such a mine field!

OP, I was recently looking at Godolphin rehoming? I don't know if that'd be of interest :)

Schollym

Visit site
We brought a six year old unbroken mare, who had been used as a brood mare. Initially attempts to back her all went well but then we had problems, her breaking free and broncing around the school with just the saddle on. We got help, it was clear she was cold backed.
WE got her to the point with. Quick lunge before getting on and she would hack out alone, did a sponsored ride, had some success at dressage at prelim but then lost her in an accident.
Previous owners who there appeared to be several were impressed that we had been able to back her ( they had oviously tried and failed) she was a one person horse and it took two years and an awful lot of lunging. Beware of older unbroken horses as chances are someone is likely to have tried before. Find a dealer who has a good reputation and a returns policy. Get the horse vetted or if you want a youngster get someone who imports them to source you one.