Horse hunting - what does £5k really get you?

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Evening all,

As the post title suggests, I'm in the middle of searching for a new neddy to have fun with. Just pondering if I should save up a bit more and then start looking.

Have I got a decent budget to find a nice sound horse (just lost my previous horse due to soundness issues) that I can enjoy RC, clinics, BD, BE (upto 100 maybe a little more in a few years), hacking & general fun! Ideally over 16hh, not a stallion. From 5 to 9 years, happy to school as long as honest. I like quirky just not ones intent on killing you!
Am I being to optimistic??
Any suggestions on where to look would be greatfully received. I've been to Irish imports and they are to green for me. Due to be burnt last time I want to take my time, tho I am wondering whether to take the trainer down to them.
I'm just rambling now as for the first time in 16 years I don't have a horse :(

Barnacle

Visit site
If you're worried about soundness issues creeping in, maybe err on the older side... Youngsters still don't have enough history for you to judge how they'll go in future while a sound older horse that's never had issues will likely stay sound (at least until it's properly aged and things like arthritis come into play).

But I don't see why that budget can't buy you the horse you want. You'll have to be a bit flexible perhaps but compared to the person I recently saw looking for a horse for £4500 to do all that with that also had to be black, brown or bay and not a TB... The only thing you might need to compromise on a little, from the local ads I see floating around, is height.

spacefaer

Visit site
also depends on what part of the country you are in - horses in the SE tend to be more expensive than in the north of England, or the further outposts of horse civilisation.

Remember that most horse vendors are open to offers - so you can still look at higher priced ones =D

claracanter

Visit site
I'm looking for something similar to you OP. I've been told two things whilst I've been looking. One is, it's a buyer's market and two, it's a good time to be looking as lots of young riders are now off to university.Having said that, I've had one failed vetting and seen a few that aren't as advertised. The ones I like on paper are either 4hrs drive away or over 10k. But I'm sure my patience will be rewarded as will yours. Horse shopping is supposed to be exciting

Fun Times

Visit site
I was looking for a similar horse to you OP about 6 years ago. I saw lots that were "almost there but not quite what I hoped for" for that budget. In the main, they either lacked "spark" or hadn't the experience at the level I wanted to event at. In the end I saved a bit more and increased the budget a little to get what I had really set out to buy. I was glad I did. But then at the time my job constraints and health issues meant I wanted something that wasn't a "project" as such and was ready to go out and compete straight away. Perhaps if you are willing to invest 6 months or so in getting them to the level you want to be at, that would be an easier find.

I am sorry you lost your previous horse. Soundness problems will no doubt make you a very cautious buyer and you do have to watch that you don't nit pick to every nth degree. Thats also what made it take me so long to make a purchase.

Last edited:

TGM

Visit site
Have I got a decent budget to find a nice sound horse (just lost my previous horse due to soundness issues) that I can enjoy RC, clinics, BD, BE (upto 100 maybe a little more in a few years), hacking & general fun! Ideally over 16hh, not a stallion. From 5 to 9 years, happy to school as long as honest. I like quirky just not ones intent on killing you!

I think the criteria that are pushing up prices for you are the height, the age range and the fact that you want something to enjoy BE100 on. Good grassroots horses are very in demand at the moment, and as you say you don't want something green, then a horse that looks like it will do well at Grassroots level without too much work (ie has already BE'd successfully, or has good results unaffiliated in all phases), is going to command a good price if there is nothing else wrong with it. Obviously you can buy horses capable of BE100 for much less than your budget, but they are likely to be green and need work to get to that stage. Prices will be lower if they are rather weak in one phase, so if you just want to have fun at BE rather than be really competitive, then you will pay less money for one who may do a nice dressage and is good XC, but is careless SJ, for example. Accepting a slightly older horse such as an 11 or 12 year old may also mean you get more for your money. There will be horses out there on your budget, but you might have to look harder for them (at least if you are in the South East) - it could be a good horse that hasn't done much due to no fault of its own, or one that has been badly advertised.

gunnergundog

Visit site
If you are wanting to be competitive at 100 and have scope to do novice on a 5-9 year old that is relatively straight forwards I would be thinking that you need to double your budget.

You will get cheaper: are you happy to accept any vices, how about sarcoids or blemishes or allergies? Price will come down also if you go older, and, as has been previously suggested those in remoter parts of the country may be cheaper, so if you are prepared to travel you may pick up a bargain. However, generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

Whilst looking for something else I spotted this: http://www.britisheventing.com/classifieds/Details.aspx?pid=8565&?page=4&colour=

MS123

Visit site
I think you need a slighter bigger budget OP. Horses like that go from upwards of 5K usually, some even double or triple that price, especially if they are already established, have the potential to go further, and are sane/sensible. Would you consider a TB? You could get a cracking TB for the budget you have! Generally speaking they are cheaper to buy.

Or, you could venture over to Ireland. There are lots of very knowledgeable people on this forum who could point you in the right direction. I think Dusty85 on here (apologies if I have the user name wrong) has just picked up a gorgeous horse from Ireland.

soulfull

Visit site
I was only looking to do some dressage. Didn't mind green. I only looked at horses up to £4k I've seen 17 and got so fed up of lameness or lies that I've just put a deposit on a 6yr just sat on mare

Fun Times

Visit site
Yeah I constantly hear "its a buyer's market" but whenever I have looked they are clearly buying things that I am not looking for! The sort of horse OP is after are much sought after. The concept of "grassroots eventing" has created a somewhat valuable market.

only_me

Visit site
For 5k I got a 17h rising 5 year old with a fantastic attitude. He did get a little over enthusiastic at a hunt ride (took him with owner few days after buying) ie. he started to jump without looking at the fences (not fun when it's a 4 year old & some fences have wire!!) but it showed me how brave he is and was still controllable even at his worst. He's never been like that since Then!
Tbh he was probably worth less at time of buying but his attitude and personality was worth the extra money. Since then he has been the most fantastic horse, did a 1* as a 6 year old & would have gone further however my life got in the way :p
He lives out all year, is snaffle mouth for everything, he'll ride the same if he is ridden everyday or once every 3 weeks, jumps off any stride, does everything, is brave, easy to do & is such a nice person.

You can get a fab horse for 5k - I found mine within a month of looking :)
Why don't you look at 4 year olds as well, they will soon be 5 in a few months. They tend to be cheaper & can be just as easy as an older horse! Just need to get the right horse :)

Last edited:

applecart14

Visit site
Evening all,

As the post title suggests, I'm in the middle of searching for a new neddy to have fun with. Just pondering if I should save up a bit more and then start looking.

Am I being to optimistic??
Any suggestions on where to look would be greatfully received. I've been to Irish imports and they are to green for me. Due to be burnt last time I want to take my time, tho I am wondering whether to take the trainer down to them.
I'm just rambling now as for the first time in 16 years I don't have a horse :(

Depends what type you are looking for. All my horses (WB imports bar one) have been under £5K, Bailey was only £4680, but this was in 2004, they were from 16.3hh - 17.1hh and the last two both aged seven. If you approach someone like Jock Merriman, he organises trips abroad for you to see up to a dozen horses in a day and you can try them out and see if you want to take things further. If you go by Easy Jet its probably only £40 quid return to Holland or Belgium. The Ferry was around £200 to take a horse back to the UK or was in 2004. You can get a lovely quality horse like Bailey who was 7 when he was imported, 17hh WB, (breeding - Grandsire was Nimmerdor) passed two vettings one in 2004 and one in 2007 for about £3K if you buy them yourself from abroad. Its once they get imported and work is done on them that the cost goes up another couple of grand.

Personally I would never buy private. A dealer who's been in the business 20 years or so obviously has an excellent reputation for the reason that they sell good quality horses.

TGM

Visit site
Depends what type you are looking for. All my horses (WB imports bar one) have been under £5K, Bailey was only £4680, but this was in 2004, they were from 16.3hh - 17.1hh and the last two both aged seven. If you approach someone like Jock Merriman, he organises trips abroad for you to see up to a dozen horses in a day and you can try them out and see if you want to take things further. If you go by Easy Jet its probably only £40 quid return to Holland or Belgium. The Ferry was around £200 to take a horse back to the UK or was in 2004. You can get a lovely quality horse like Bailey who was 7 when he was imported, 17hh WB, (breeding - Grandsire was Nimmerdor) passed two vettings one in 2004 and one in 2007 for about £3K if you buy them yourself from abroad. Its once they get imported and work is done on them that the cost goes up another couple of grand.

But surely it was you on another post that said you would never buy an imported warmblood again? Or am I getting confused with someone else?

TGM

Visit site
You can get a fab horse for 5k - I found mine within a month of looking :)
Why don't you look at 4 year olds as well, they will soon be 5 in a few months. They tend to be cheaper & can be just as easy as an older horse! Just need to get the right horse :)

I think the problem is that the OP has specifically said she doesn't want anything 'green' - if she wants an established horse then they will be priced higher than the equivalent 4 year old.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Hi all, thanks for your replies. Sorry should have made it clearer I am happy with green, just must have seen traffic, a fence and been out. Plus not wanting to kill me!! My aim is the BE from next year, so having no record doesn't worry me. Just would like something with the ability to jump upto be100 in a few years.
Yes previous soundness issues are making it harder for me to pick, I literally cut my losses on my last horse after £15k plus worth of vet bills. Harsh I know, but I couldn't invest anymore time into a horse who was never going to be sound or out of pain.
Time to get researching!

Starzaan

Visit site
I'm not sure if I was just incredibly lucky, but I found an absolute superstar of a horse in February for £5.5k. My budget was originally £10k, but I didn't argue when the perfect horse came up for half that! He's 6yrs, 17.1hh, dun ISH gelding, and is an absolute dream. He is very green, but has a lovely attitude and improving all the time. Horses can bomb past him and he won't break out of walk, he'll stand and go to sleep at shows, he's just lovely.

They're out there, they just take some finding!

LCH611

Visit site
In my case £5k bought me 4 fabulous connie ponies (with change left over) that are truly versatile and turn their hooves to anything - eventing, SJ, dressage, showing, hacking, hunting, Trec and one of them has turned out to be a superstar pony club polo pony

AdorableAlice

Visit site

Personally I would never buy private. A dealer who's been in the business 20 years or so obviously has an excellent reputation for the reason that they sell good quality horses.

How about supporting a British breeder and producer. There are superb horses in this country.

Tamski

Visit site
I bought my boy for that price so they are out there. He is 6 and has done a little bit. Nice and sane to hack out but quite green in the school.

Funny thing is that I didn't like his advert. I thought he was too fine and was younger than I wanted. I went to look as he was very local and then fell in love with him.

So don't rule out purely on pictures. He was billed as being a nice person and he really is.

Good luck!

TGM

Visit site
Hi all, thanks for your replies. Sorry should have made it clearer I am happy with green, just must have seen traffic, a fence and been out. Plus not wanting to kill me!! My aim is the BE from next year, so having no record doesn't worry me. Just would like something with the ability to jump upto be100 in a few years.
If you are happy to have something to bring on, then you are much more likely to find something in your budget. Most sound horses of reasonable conformation can jump to BE100 level if you produce them properly.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
There are some very attractive types on horsequest ex racehorses. 124234, caught my eye, as did the first few on the listings, over 16h section.

applecart14

Visit site
But surely it was you on another post that said you would never buy an imported warmblood again? Or am I getting confused with someone else?

You are right I wouldn't, for myself that is. But that's my just my own personal opinion, depends on your circumstances, the type of yard you are on, etc, etc. If you want to get a youngster that has been broken or a slightly older horse with less mileage then what I suggested might be suitable for your purposes. I know you said you wanted something too green, but something about four might tick the right boxes.

It was just a suggestion. Hope you find your 'horse of a lifetime', I know I've found mine!

Luci07

Visit site
It's worth doing your research on horsequest and BE to get an idea of budget, but currently, a gelding aged 6-8 with a good basic record at BE is being put up for 10k plus. Saw a stunning 16.3 who had done a couple of 100's and he is up for 20k.

It's worth trying to get out of the same "box" that everyone wants. So perhaps consider a good mare, or a bigger gelding, or one that is older. I bought a lovely boy a couple of months ago who ticked all your boxes but is 17 hh. He cost me more than £5k though was not up to the price heights I had been seeing.