Horse ID tags (identification tags)

lbubb

New User
Visit site
Today a friend and I both fell off our horses cause of inconsiderate bike riders who came flying past, both out horses bolted and were lost in the woods for an hour. An old woman found us heading out the forest and told us they had run past her house into the road. Thankfully they were ok.

But this has got me thinking, are they're any company's or websites that make tags which can go on the horses saddle or bridle giving their name my number and address where they're kept so if found I can be contacted? Hopefully it will never happen again bit better to be safe than sorry.

Also is there anything on the market that stops the reins dropping so horses feet can get caught if loose but still allows the rider to gold the reins to ride ( maybe something that attaches to the saddle

Thanks in advance

foo2

Visit site
Try googling British Equestrian ID Service...scheme where both horse and rider have tags so both can be reunited, or if rider has nasty fall, they've got details of emergency contact/medical details, not sure of cost tho...

Follysmum

Visit site
I have dog tags with my name, horse name and phone number that I put on my leather headcollar when corralling at rides. You can get them very cheap on Ebay.

flintfootfilly

Visit site
I use these pet ID tags and order online: http://www.pettags.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=22

The second smallest coloured tags give space for my name, my home no, my mobile no, vet number, next of kin number.....so I hope I've covered most things.

Re the reins, I think an Irish martingale reduces the chance of the reins being pulled over the head and stood on (but I've never used one). Otherwise, worth making sure the buckle has a weakpoint. I use libbys reins, and they have velco at the buckle end so this would come undone if necessary.

I had one pony who got her reins caught through a front leg. She was wearing a pelham with 2 reins, and although she's a very calm mare, she panicked bigtime and was spinning round trying to get the pain away from her mouth. She span into my car, and it needed a new wing. Expensive job. Her mouth was bruised for a week or so, but thankfully nothing worse. It was a minute or so before I could safely move up to her to rip her bridle off (that was the only relatively safe way to stop the cycle) I was using synthetic biothane reins with a buckle and not weakpoint like velcro...... At that point, I realised it was worth introducing my own weakpoint somewhere.

Sarah

starryeyed

Visit site
http://www.unicornleather.co.uk/locatas.html loads of room for all sorts of info. He makes ones for riders and ones for horses.
Our very own Cremedemonthe on here :)

Yes, these are brilliant and just what I was going to suggest! They are very small but also very noticeable, and have so much space for your details, your vets details, your yards details etc. We have one on each saddle (they attach to the D ring) and it really has put my mind at ease since having them there. Years ago we lost our horse up on the moors and he could have gone absolutely anywhere - luckily he'd galloped in the vague direction of home and chosen to try and jump a cattlegrid - a brave elderly gentleman caught him and put him in his garden to sort out the rose bushes - he stood by the gate all day looking out for some panicked horse riders. Miraculously we found him but could have been a million times worse and it would have been so much easier for the kind man to just call us and let us know he had our monster!
As for the reins - how about trying an Irish martingale? They're not a conventional martingale, don't affect the head etc - just keep the reins together. They're designed to stop the reins from coming over the head if the rider comes off, commonly used in racing / eventing - though they don't always work x

SuperH

Visit site
I use acrylic dog tags in a bright colour so people would spot it. I have ones about the size of a £2 coin on my saddles with address and three phone numbers and my name and number. I have smaller ones for headcollars/bridles too although I don't leave headcollars on so that is really a bit pointless I suppose.

fatponee

Visit site
I saw this thread last night and ordered myself a 'Locata'. Was feeling rather pleased with myself until I looked at my saddle today and realised it doesn't have any rings to attach the Locata to. ******! How can I attach it?!

Jackster14

Visit site
I think I'll be ordering a 'locata' after parting company with my horse at the beach recently. Great idea, never seen them or anything similar in tack shops though.

MochaDun

Visit site
I used this company - think someone on here recommended them - get a decent size tag (I have the Round Brass Pet Tag Large) and can fit loads on it front and back - £4.95 all in I think. I have it attached to my saddle. The details I have on mine are my name and mobile number, my ICE/next of kin's number, the yard address and number where horse is kept, my vet's number.