Horse in new yard

3707rachela

Visit site
Hi this is my first post and I just thought I'ld pick everyone's brains! I moved my horse to a new yard on monday, he is in a paddock by himself but has other horses around him. He seemed to settle really well to start with but now seems to have become quite attched to the mare in the paddock next door. She's quite old and spends most of her time in the field next to him and he doesnt seemed bothered about the other two horses. Do you think this is just a temporary thing because he's been moved to a new yard? I've had him for nearly 10 years now and this sort of thing hasnt happened before. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
Probably just looking for a friend till he finds his feet, he'll sort himself out in a couple of weeks or so (maybe sooner)
smile.gif

Tiffany

Visit site
Could be two's company and three is a crowd. If the other two horses are already pair bonded your horse might feel this is the best and easiest thing to do?
smile.gif
I'm sure he'll be fine in his new home
smile.gif

amiacat

Visit site
When I moved my boy 6 months ago to a new yard he initially went out in his own paddock, as did 2 other horses on either side of him. He seemed ok to start with but then decided that he wanted to be with the mare so jumped the electric fence to join her!! Luckily she didn't seem to mind and they're now always turned out together. I think it just takes a while for them to feel settled, especially if they've been at the previous yard a while. I hope he starts to relax in his new home.

PS. Don't let the jumping fields worry you, my chap has abandonment issues! I think the mare went just out of view and he panicked!