Horse injured collateral sesamoidean ligament- resting hind limb

kez1001

Visit site
My horse recently went to vets for work up as was lame on near hind. Had came in from field very lame and we had initially treated as abscess. The next day his leg had swollen and his fetlock was hot to touch. Still thinking abscess and slight improvement in lameness I poulticed again but nothing. Poulticed another three day and spoke with vet. Booked in for lameness work up at clinic.

Long story short he nerve blocked out about fetlock. X-rays show remodelling of fetlock and vet suspects injury to collateral sesamoidean ligament. However will require MRI for definite diagnosis. Horse had steriod injection to fetlock next day and then came home. He's to be box rested for six weeks and allowed ten mins hand walking at either end of day to keep him sane vet said so allowed to pick at grass as opposed to walk for ten mins.

First question is has anyone dealt with this injury in a hind limb and what was the outcome?

Second question regards to him resting his injured leg while at home. He's not got any swelling. There is still slight heat at fetlock. He seems sound at walk but whenever he rests he stands with injured hind up. If I watch he shifts his weight over all legs and tries to rest other hind but quickly goes back to resting just that one. I'm very worried about laminitis effecting the other hind too. I've called vet and awaiting call back as he's caught out an emergency at moment but wondered if anyone has any experience of an injured horse doing this constantly? Feeling I should ask for MRI sooner than later.

Any input appreciated esp from those with similar injury experience. Cookies and tea tonight.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Not quite the same but my 19yr old WB had an operation on both his annular ligaments 3 months ago but was also treated for an injury to his oblique distal sesamoidian ligament using platelet rich plasma to help the lesion heal - they took his blood and concentrated the platelets from it and injected during the surgery. Initially he was really lame on the OBDL affected limb but I had to wait two months for his op as the vet wanted him to lose weight first so was kept in a small starvation paddock but not box-rested and he did improve some what. Post Op he was box-rested for 2 weeks with grazing in hand then box-rest with 6 weeks in-hand walk exercise, then a month in a restricted paddock.

He had a ultra-sound scan last Friday and the lesion has filled really nicely according to the vet and his tendon sheaths look much more mobile as a result of the annular ligament transection. The vet has advised I can start ridden walk exercise once I get him shod. So far so good but I'm still worried that he will do himself a mischief in the field! Long-term who knows as the prognosis for the OBLD injuries when you read about them are fairly guarded.

Injection with steroids for the annular ligaments could have been an option but was not advised by my vet as it would slow the healing process of the lesion on the sesamoidian ligament.

kez1001

Visit site
Thanks for your reply and everything crossed for a speedy recovery for your horse.

Vet advised danilon over weekend to see if it would help my boy stand on both back legs. However so far no change. The only time he stands with weight on the back leg is if his head is in his feed bucket or he is grazing. Not sure what next plan will be Monday. So little information about these injuries as you say. I will keep updating this thread so if anyone is going through similar it may help them.

Achinghips

Visit site
Yes. One year three months post injury. She is now a semi retired happy hack two or three times a week, no schooling allowed. 24/7 turnout being best due to stiffness, although she is 18. There was no return to athletic fitness, but she is happy and has a good field companion. I have other horses for Schooling or faster work. Bad road cambers are an issue.

Resting an injured leg is normal

Hth

Last edited: