horse insisting on putting 2 strides in a double?

lucy_harding

Visit site
my 16.2 seems to be struggling with a normal horse distances hes not got a short stride or anything. Does anyone else have this problem or have exercises to get him to put one in ?

be positive

Visit site
There a few few things to think about, is this new behaviour, if so do the normal checks to ensure there is nothing wrong so saddle, teeth, possibly a vet check or physio as you need to rule out pain.

Of all is ok then it is usually a lack of confidence, they tend to back off the first part, land steep and lack the momentum to get out in one stride, this then becomes a habit which is frequently compounded by the rider also becoming more cautious or trying too hard to place the horse which further shuts down the canter stride on the approach.
I would work this type of horse over grids with a short distance, within his comfort zone on one stride, until he is really going forward and jumping totally confidently, then I would gradually increase the distance, I would also be working on the flat to encourage the canter to be level but with the ability to shorten and lengthen when asked, canter poles can be very useful to aid this if you are unsure.

It can be an issue with small horses and ponies jumping decent horse tracks but a 16.2 with a normal length of stride should not be struggling if they are physical sound, fit and confident, find a good jumping trainer to give you some help, it will be a good investment.

lucy_harding

Visit site
He was know to do it with his previous owner. thanks i will work him through grids in my next lessons. he is also very unfit so may be to do with this?

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Great advice already. Just wanted to add that canter poles are really good. I used to compete 1.20 on a short striding 15.1 and canter poles and grids together really helped us. Build up to a canter pole in the middle of a small double. It is also really important that you make sure you are 100% straight or you will make the distance longer too.

smja

Visit site
I have this issue with mine, though he is fairly short striding (short coupled 16hh ponyhorse). We work on relaxing his back so he can open out his stride as much as possible and I ride him very forwards round the course, almost like pushing for medium canter.

Tiring horses do tend to try and conserve energy (unsurprising!) so that may be a contributing factor.

Luci07

Visit site
Easy test before you start grid work is to canter him down the long side. Count his strides, then try to shorten them adding in one, then increase then reverse and reduce the number of strides. Do this before you start grid work to ensure he is physically comfortable with changing his stride.