Horse-Insurance.co.uk - too cheap to be true???

Chloeap

Visit site
I am with horseinsurance.co.uk and know friends who are. They paid out my huge vet bill with no issues. They paid for my friends too.
I didn't have to pay a % of the cost, just the excess which is around £160ish and then the huge amount that it went over by :(

But definitely a positive experience from me! I did read every single line in the T's and C's to make sure they would pay out and they did :)

HeresHoping

Visit site
I was with Animal Friends - NO LONGER underwritten by E&L. Prompt payout when the vets pulled their fingers out and put the claim in - 116 days after accident when their terms are 90 days. Couldn't fault them. However, on my disastrous big chestnut, my premiums shot up to over £60/month after he spent some time in the AHT horsepital. And then with my little Connie, they decided at 15 she fell into the veteran package and premiums were £££££££, too.

So I contacted Julie Andrews. She has a rather clunky website: http://www.jahis.co.uk/ and had some very good quotes of <£30 per month. And not one from E&L.

I had my dogs insured with E&L. They were a royal pain to process claims and again, premiums went through the roof.

This was because I excluded 3p, I have BHS gold membership for that.

Do try Julie.

PStarfish

Visit site
I'll go against the grain and say I've had nothing but a good experience with E&L. I've had 3 claims - colic and two undiagnosed lameness issues. All have been settled without quibble. The only downside I would say is that it took a while to actually pay (they had accepted liability so I knew they would, but meant I paid vets with credit card while waiting for money). I think they have sharpened their act up over the years. But mud sticks I guess

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Over the years many Vets consider that you are uninsured if you are with E&L because it takes so long to get the invoice paid if at all. I've also noted that several people have mentioned that although they were paid out it took a long time & numerous telephone calls. That is unacceptable.

This link tells you all you need to know about E&L Insurance ...... Over 600 reviews & they score 1-1.5 out of 5.... pretty poor. Take a look

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews57547.html

Oh Dear!!!!!

Last edited:

Hannah&Co

Visit site
I use them and they have been great. I had 3 claims within the first year and whilst they are quite slow at paying although I have never had to claim on insurance before so maybe its just the norm to take a while I cannot fault them :)

McFluff

Visit site
I would recommend using BHS gold for liability, then CAREFULLY reading all T&Cs before committing to insurance. In the event of any claim you can bet that any insurer will use T&C to avoid payout if they possibly can. And some T&C are not that easy to follow or evidence.

I had a horse-insurance.co.uk policy - when I had to have horse PTS they paid out. They did question it (I suspect any insurer would), but vet quickly sorted, and pay out was reasonably quick/efficient. I did find that you either need a receipt to show horse value and/or get a valuation done (it is in T&C).

I had another horse insured through PetPlan. Had been for years with no claims (initially through my Mum, then came to me when I took him on). When I did need to make a claim for vet fees, they were a nightmare - friendly to deal with, but inflexible and used every trick in the book to wriggle out of paying. The vet hospital were shocked at their behaviour and their very odd interpretation of their T&Cs (I was asked to provide dental history for the horse from before he came into my ownership, which I couldn't as his previous vet is no longer alive and practice is closed!). Then had the cheek to increase premiums (again!) and exclude the condition. I cancelled policy (they were surprised...).

I now just have BHS Gold and keep money aside. I think unless you have a high value competition horse or no ability to save money for a rainy day then insurance is very expensive.