Horse insurance including dental

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Hi all, our policy is due for renewal in January and I'm looking for a change, only really because our current on doesn't include dental treatment and I think given the horse is 15 it's probably wise to have it. No obvious signs of any issues I just want to cover myself in case!

Which companies include this? I've had a few online quotes but none say if they include it or not...well not obviously anyway. I got caught by this when we took out the policy as it only showed dental wasn't included in the small print once we had already paid for the policy.

Also I'm considering under insuring to get the premium down, he's a 15yr old pony who does get a fair bit of work so was thinking about £4000 (we did pay more than that for him a year ago in the height of the price craziness) but perhaps we should go lower...no health issues. Just wondering what people do...he doesn't have loss of use or anything like that either.

Thanks

ExRacers

Visit site
My horse is with Scottish Equestrian and the pony with Pet Plan. Both have had teeth filled in the last 2 years and both were fully covered. Pet Plan excluded anything to do with the teeth mouth and gums at next renewal but SE only excluded the 2 teeth that were filled!
I insured my horse for what I paid for him which was way under his current market value due to the sad circumstances which caused his sale. However a lot of insurers may ask for a bill of sale at inception or when there is a claim so be up front at the start.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Whilst ducking flying wellies from the haters…
Emporium/E &L
Paid out when my horse accidentally damaged his teeth needing a fair bit of vet intervention. However a year later he was diagnosed with EORTH and I figured they wouldn’t pay out but to be fair having been told by my vet that it was unrelated they did pay out to the max claim with an ulcer claim running separately for the same horse alongside.

Lady Jane

Visit site
Emporium/E &L
Paid out when my horse accidentally damaged his teeth needing a fair bit of vet intervention. However a year later he was diagnosed with EORTH and I figured they wouldn’t pay out but to be fair having been told by my vet that it was unrelated they did pay out to the max claim with an ulcer claim running separately for the same horse alongside.
I think with any company its a case of reading the small print. If they cover a condition and you have followed their process, they normally pay out. Accidental damage to the teeth is totally different to EORTH (which I had to google). My problem has been the exclusions - especially when I had undiagnosed lameness even after they had paid out ££££s for investigation - don't blame them for that

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Emporium/E &L
Im with you. Cannot fault E & L paid out for colic and have not excluded it

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I always under insure. I’m only interested in vet bill cover, if my horse died the cash back would be the last thing on my mind.

I use to do this. I tried to insure my just broken 4yo with Petplan for £1500 and they said she was worth double so would only insure her for that. Not sure why it matters if I don’t have loss of use, just higher premium I guess. Ended up going to NFU

Bobthecob15

Visit site
NFU were fantastic. Paid for 4 fillings. Also does not exclude all legs if one injured.

Did not exclude all colics if colicing as colic can be caused by different things which I was very surprised about.
How do NFU compare price wise? I haven't ever bothered getting a quote because they only do phone quotes and I refused to call them ? I will if they aren't super expensive. Why they don't do online like everyone else I've no idea.

Kat

Visit site
I use to do this. I tried to insure my just broken 4yo with Petplan for £1500 and they said she was worth double so would only insure her for that. Not sure why it matters if I don’t have loss of use, just higher premium I guess. Ended up going to NFU
I had similar with Petplan. I just wanted to insure my horse for what I paid for her. They wanted me to increase it but didn't tell me until I had accepted the quote and let my old policy expire.

After a fight, where they kept saying that the class of use I wanted to insure was inconsistent with the value insured but I was saying I only needed that class of use for hunting they eventually agreed to let me insure for double her purchase price which meant I was paying more than the previous year.

I switched back to KBIS after a year.

Widgeon

Visit site
Advice from a muppet… always double check things I thought I’d been insuring my horses teeth for the last few years but turns out I’ve in fact been insuring my own teeth if I fall…ops

Oh dear....sorry this did make me laugh! Still, probably worth having.