horse insurance who to go with?

Linz29

Visit site
I have just bought a 2 yo gelding and im looking to insure him with a good insurance company. Who would you recommend to go with? and what is the average yearly fee? i was quoted 450 with NFU but not sure if this is a good deal or not. Also what clauses should i look out for?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
if you search threads on horse insurance on here, you will find some info about the NFU and KBIS that I put on last week, that should help you.

smokey

Visit site
, I'm with petplan equine, £26.50 a month. Depends what cover you are looking for, if hes a youngster I guess you'll want at least public liability and vets fees. i find petplan very good, have made one claim (for my last horse) and they dealt with my claim with no fuss.

missdarcy

Visit site
I have previously used Petplan & NFU, and can say i wasn't very pleased with either off them. I now use KBIS and can highly recommend them :)

Natz88

Visit site
KBIS are fantastic got all mine with them. I pay for my hafligner which is £32 a month & my mum pays the others which are aroudn the same. We have had to put several claims in & they have paid out within 48 hours. Def recommend them.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
NFU used to be great but have vastly increased their premiums in the last 12 months so many on this forum have moved to other insurers, KBIS & SEIB have benefitted from NFU's premium jump.

E&L & their associate insurance companies have a terrible record for settling claims & if you do a search you will find more threads adverse threads regarding them than any other company mentioned on this forum. Some members however have been paid out promptly..............but many more haven't!

Like with all insurance, contact companies for quotes & then you'll have a better idea.

Cadburys_addict

Visit site
I have been with petplan and have had several claims and have had no queries, paid up with no quibbles....no negatives to say really.....

Have heard nothing but terrible reports on E&L when it comes to claiming from them so I personally would never use them.....

Delta99

Visit site
Sadly, you get what you pay for.

Avoid the cheaper ones, they probably won't pay out. Unfortunately you will only find out how good an insurance company is when you need to make a claim.

I have made 2 claims with NFU in the last 5 years and both were paid without a lot of hassle, including loss of use, so I would stick with them if I wanted to insure.

Pet plan are supposed to be very good, KBIS seems good but have heard of lots of hassle when claiming.

charliecrisps

Visit site
NFU was sooo expensive!! Good company though. although my mare had a wart looked at (was nothing and vet left alone and didnt claim) and they put a clause against any lumps on my mare which i thought was unfair!!!

Petplan for my veteran as they do cover up to 25. I had to claim and found it a bit of agro and took couple of months to pay vet (who added on 15%) but genberally thought they was good.

Now with KBIS as heard good reviews and much cheaper than NFU.. guess will wait and see