Horse Insurance

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Im with KBIS :) The girls were really polite and the insurance reasonably priced:)

I would stay away from E&L i think its called, heard nightmare stories about them!!

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
I have just being quoted by E&L at £35.60 a year but wanted to look around first! Thank you for the warning!

Flipping heck thats cheap! Mines about £30 a month for a 2 year old section d :) but Ive got him under the showing and breaking category so I think its abit more expensive, and also I got the top vets fees just in case :)

try SEIB aswell Ive heard theyre good :)

assuan

Visit site
Oh dont say that about KBIS lol Ive always found them great to deal with :)

Ditto, KBIS have always been really good with us, paid out within a week and never protested or questioned anything.

Post above made me chuckle, "Shall look at south essex and SEIB" -- they're the same people :D

All I've ever heard about E&L is that they never want to pay out for a thing. Friends had their camera insured with them and it took 9 months to go the money out of them, but thats why they're so cheap, cause they never pay out.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I used the H&H comparison thingymajig and ended up going with Rural Insurance via Four Counties (broker) and they've been great so far.

WelshD

Visit site
I'm with Petplan. They seem to have a very good reputation and have settled direct with the vets for other pets I have

Do try to find one that your vet will deal with direct - not only does that save you having to find money up front it also speaks volumes about that company - if the vet wont deal direct they may be worried they wont be paid promptly

My 4 year old 'pet' pony is insured for the usual vets fees etc in the schooling and breaking category which includes cover if he is out on the roads and that costs me £22 a month. My 2 year old that doesnt leave the field is £11 a month

picolenicole

Visit site
SEIB are nice on phone, but my pony had to go to Newmarket for a MRI a few weeks ago and SEIB would only pay for the MRI.

Not the stabling even though we are 4 hours away and MRI's can't be completed in a day, never mind a few hours. They would not pay for the vet to look at him how the hell is she to MRI if she can't look at him!!!!! Or x-rays as they said he's already had some (2 weeks before) so they wouldn't pay twice or for a block as he'd had one but it was a different type so not really had that one. Then the petrol from Derbyshire to Newmarket 4 times, "Oh we will pay what we think is acceptable" so me and OH have said we will not renew with them next year as we have paid loads for nothing in return.

The sad thing is if I had put the monies into a savings account we could have paid for it all ourselves!!

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
SEIB are nice on phone, but my pony had to go to Newmarket for a MRI a few weeks ago and SEIB would only pay for the MRI.

Not the stabling even though we are 4 hours away and MRI's can't be completed in a day, never mind a few hours. They would not pay for the vet to look at him how the hell is she to MRI if she can't look at him!!!!! Or x-rays as they said he's already had some (2 weeks before) so they wouldn't pay twice or for a block as he'd had one but it was a different type so not really had that one. Then the petrol from Derbyshire to Newmarket 4 times, "Oh we will pay what we think is acceptable" so me and OH have said we will not renew with them next year as we have paid loads for nothing in return.

The sad thing is if I had put the monies into a savings account we could have paid for it all ourselves!!

My old YO used to say pay for a year insurance and then cancel it and then keep all the money your would put into insurance into a bank account :) and then use that money... good advice really but I still have mine insured haha

WelshD

Visit site
My old YO used to say pay for a year insurance and then cancel it and then keep all the money your would put into insurance into a bank account :) and then use that money... good advice really but I still have mine insured haha

I know quite a few people who believe that if nothing happens in the first few months it normally bodes well for the pet's life

Every pet I have had has pretty much conformed to that thinking - problems in the first few months = more problems ongoing and if they are trouble free to start with then they have remained trouble free

I still dont take chances and like you have remained insured though!!

cundlegreen

Visit site
Recommend NFU, I took out vets fees for a horse on sales livery, not something I ever do, and he's had surgery this year. NFU couldn't have been more helpful and paid out not only quickly, but more than I was expecting for transport fees. Very impressed!

glamourpuss

Visit site
Petplan do have a good reputation BUT they are very exclusion happy IMO. I called them to tell them I wanted a horse to go for a lameness work up & to check what I was covered for. Girl on phone asked if i knew what the problem was i said
'No but at his age i wouldn't rule out arthritis'
Between this phone call & me claiming my policy renewed (I did it automatically & stupidly didn't check the policy papers sent) the ******* had excluded 'arthritis & DJD changes of the legs'
It took nearly 4 months & numerous conversations between them & my vets until they agreed to remove the exclusion & didn't pay out for another 3 months! I actually ended up reporting them to the financial ombudsman.
I then also wanted to insure another horse when they asked if the horse had ever been lame I told them, honestly, it had had an abscess 6 months ago which had been successfully treated by removing the shoe & poulticing, treated by farrier & perfectly sound a few days later.....yup you've guessed it they wanted to put a 12 month exclusion on lameness in that foot & leg!!! They said they would consider removing the exclusion if after 12 months, they got a vet report saying there were no issues with the internals of that hoof or problems with that leg. The only way a vet would do this is to report on x-rays that I would have to pay for!!!
I told them very politely I wouldn't be taking their policy :D

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Petplan do have a good reputation BUT they are very exclusion happy IMO. I called them to tell them I wanted a horse to go for a lameness work up & to check what I was covered for. Girl on phone asked if i knew what the problem was i said
'No but at his age i wouldn't rule out arthritis'
Between this phone call & me claiming my policy renewed (I did it automatically & stupidly didn't check the policy papers sent) the ******* had excluded 'arthritis & DJD changes of the legs'
It took nearly 4 months & numerous conversations between them & my vets until they agreed to remove the exclusion & didn't pay out for another 3 months! I actually ended up reporting them to the financial ombudsman.
I then also wanted to insure another horse when they asked if the horse had ever been lame I told them, honestly, it had had an abscess 6 months ago which had been successfully treated by removing the shoe & poulticing, treated by farrier & perfectly sound a few days later.....yup you've guessed it they wanted to put a 12 month exclusion on lameness in that foot & leg!!! They said they would consider removing the exclusion if after 12 months, they got a vet report saying there were no issues with the internals of that hoof or problems with that leg. The only way a vet would do this is to report on x-rays that I would have to pay for!!!
I told them very politely I wouldn't be taking their policy :D

Ahhh that sounds crap! I had my cat insured via petplan and it was costing me £15 a month far too expensive, and they didnt pay out when she needed treatment on her eye :(