Horse is a Bully!

Illusion100

Visit site
Been out in a field of 3-4 other geldings for the last year. He was 2nd in command and when the 'Boss' moved to a different yard just very recently he has taken over and become even worse of a bully to the others, to the point YO stated he has had to go into individual turnout. Fine by me, the little grotbag! Not fair on the others, poor horses.

He's the youngest (6) and smallest but has always been a cocky sort. He's off to another yard/stud farm/equestrian centre (moving from England to Ireland) in the next few weeks hopefully and due to my ill health the plan was for him to be chucked out with the yearling/2/3/4 yr old geldings over there (at least 10 plus other horses) on a few acres until I'm recovered.

Now I'm not so sure what the best plan would be? I would expect him to boss the youngsters even more than the older ones unless hopefully there is an even cockier one in this new herd?! If he needs to be on individual t/o, so be it but has anyone else had a similar experience and how did it turn out?

I've really a lot on my plate at the moment and so helpful suggestions are most welcome. :)

Irish gal

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it tbh. From my experience, had about thirty horses running together at one stage, he's just a bossy sort. The big danger, which I had and quickly removed from the premises is a rig. So unless he's a rig, he's not going to do serious damage. Are you sure there's no chance of that?

Took on a 14.2hh youngster on grass livery. Day one he knocked down a gate to get to a filly, day two he beat the crap out of a 17hh gelding, considered the stallion figure of the herd. I mean full on stallion fight, poor big lad covered in bites. I then put him on a long lunge in a field with a couple of cobs. When he'd finally calmed down, after an hour he was released and tried to run a little mare into the ground. Day four - delivered to yard in Cork where he had come from. Most dangerous little twit ever, carried a big stick going into the field with him, he was not to be trusted.

If your lad is with youngsters he'll probably tire of them quick enough. Naturally at the start he'll be imposing himself but babies do a lot of playing that only other babies can be bothered with, older lads seem pretty non plused and bored by it.

I suppose the big test will be what he's like when he settles down with the new crew. Perhaps he won't be top boy there either, especially if it's a mixed group. He probably badly needs a good mare to put him in his place.

luckyoldme

Visit site
my gelding was terrible when i first got him, and ended up stood on his own for a year.
A neighbouring farmer with a field full of clydesdales took pity on him and after staring at them over the fence for a year he finally got to move in. It was nerve wracking because i had a good friendship with the farmer and i was really worried it would affect that. The other horses basicly sent him to coventry until he learned some manners and he has been with them nearly 5 years now , living out 24/7. its bliss to see him warn with his ears and not his teeth. He is 25 now and still top dog, but in a much more confident way.

Shavings

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear this OP
i have not been in your shoes, but i have been on the other side of the fence so to speak, my little TB gelding will not stand up to any thing or any one!
he has been beaten up by a mini before now! (he is a 16'1!!)

so for his safety he gets turned out alone with horses next door this way he has company but but easily get out of there reach and its worked for us.

good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery!

ihatework

Visit site
If he is out unshod in a big herd then I wouldn't be concerned.

I think it would be unfair to expect a non-working horse to be on individual turnout unless the circumstances were very extreme.

SEL

Visit site
I echo the point about making sure he's not a rig. We have one who shows very rig like behaviour who has to be kept separate. He's in a pen next to my paddock and even over the fence he's aggressive. My mare finds it easier because she just gets all submissive towards him but my gelding - who is the biggest wimp around and has even been bullied by a shetland - stopped using the water trough because its on the fence line and was being guarded.

Mine are in their own paddock for dietary issues but the 40 odd horses at the yard live out in a big herd and once the rig like one was removed they've pretty much settled into their own little gangs. Its funny - we have the shaggy pony group, the ex-polo pony group and a gang of naughty youngsters. Bit like a school playground! There's a very bossy big TB who likes to lead the herd but so long as everyone moves out of his way then they are left alone.

Illusion100

Visit site
Definitely not a rig.

His Mammy was top mare and never disciplined him as a foal. When he mithered the other mares and they attempted to discipline him, they got their pan knocked in by his mother, so he got be a little toerag.

My eventer put him in his place as did this other gelding but he'd still be a bully when the chance arose. He was best mates with the gelding that recently left so I'm not sure whether he's bullying more as he's upset he's gone? The other problem is that the grass is minimal where he is atm.

He's even worse with mares. If a mare is stabled next to him he becomes very territorial and his stable bears the marks of his opinion.

He is unshod and going to a much larger area/fields with a heck of a lot more grass, more varied terrain and more natural shelter. He is also very playful so maybe the youngsters would help tire him out as the horses he was very recently sharing with were more elderly? An eye will be kept on him and he will be isolated if needs be. There are several stallions so plenty of well fenced, individual t/o specific paddocks with company all around if he does need to be on his own.

I just hope he settles well out with the youngsters, could do with less problems atm, not more!