horse isnt drinking

smokey

Visit site
My horse lives out 24/7. She has an old bath in her field, which is filled from an IBC which catches rainwater from the field shelter. Last few days I've gone up, her bath has been full. I emptied it completely and wiped it all round with a dry cloth to get rid of all the gunk etc. Two days in a row its been full still. I've emptied it and re filled with clean water, but she's not interested. She's not dehydrated, but she has no other source of water. Weather is hot and dry, surely she should be thirsty?

Moomin1

Visit site
Is she peeing normally?

My mare was put in a new paddock two weeks ago. I filled a tub trug full to the brim on the first night (she drinks one per night in the stable) and I have only just yesterday had to refill it. She literally didn't appear to be touching any water at all. Yet she was peeing fine and not dehydrated. I think all the moisture in the ground has been providing them with a lot of what they need to be honest.

smokey

Visit site
I guess she may be getting some moisture from the grazing. Just seemed odd, a week or so ago her bath was empty, another livery had been 'looking after' her and hadn't filled her water. When I went up to see her next day she was virtually taking the water from the bucket as i was filling it. Haven't seen her pee, but I don't often anyway. Her skin is fine, and no other signs of dehydration. I'll see what she's drunk tomorrow :)

Moomin1

Visit site
I guess she may be getting some moisture from the grazing. Just seemed odd, a week or so ago her bath was empty, another livery had been 'looking after' her and hadn't filled her water. When I went up to see her next day she was virtually taking the water from the bucket as i was filling it. Haven't seen her pee, but I don't often anyway. Her skin is fine, and no other signs of dehydration. I'll see what she's drunk tomorrow :)

Mm yes I've known one or two liveries like that myself over the years.

I would monitor her pee - if it's darker than usual or she is peeing less then give the vet a ring. But if she doesn't appear dehydrated at the moment wouldn't worry too much - like I say it's taken two weeks for my 16.3hh mare to drink one tub trug which is unbelievable to say the least!!

Fides

Visit site
Mine are funny - they love the super fresh new water but rarely drink more than that. Being out 24/7 means they get quite a bit of moisture from the grass/dew