Horse Itching

MagicMelon

Visit site
My Welshie has sweet itch, he usually takes out the lower half of his mane every year (doesnt seem to do any damage to his tail though). He's been in a Boett for the first time since end of February.

But all winter until now, he has been itching his face. On each side (not in matching places). Small patches - one side is worse than the other. He has 3 patches, a bit bigger than a 50p piece, on his cheek, top of neck and behind his ears on his mane-line. He's slowly rubbed it worse the last fortnight so there's tiny specks of blood. Ive tried putting sudocreme on it. As well as tried washing with Tea Tree shampoo etc and hibiscrub.

But I have noticed where he rubs, around the area the skin is all saggy. Almost as though the skin is dehydrated, it is scurfy and dry looking. If I grab hold of a bit, it does seem to just stick out.

Any ideas? Im not sure if this is his sweet itch causing this, but its driving him nuts and it looks terrible (Ive already had to cancel one show).

ciderminx

photobucket.com
The way you described as the skin saggy, with spots of blood from scratching it exactly how my irish cob is on her hind legs. I've clipped her and washed/treated in exactly the same way you have.

I hope someone can help us on this!

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Sorry to say this, but from what you describe, its lice. We have had outbreaks here for the first time ever. Get some Frontline from your vets.

ciderminx

photobucket.com
Magic Melon, have you already treated for lice? I treated my mares legs with frontline for a while (until the bottle ran out) and hibiscrub, creams, leaving dry, healing oils etc etc..... Although she's a lot better than before, she's still not totally clear.
Why does their skin go saggy?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Lice??? Yikes. I usually do treat him for lice (with the powder stuff) about this time of year just in case. But he's been clipped out all winter and has been washed about 4 times now, surely lice wouldnt survive this would they? I would have thought Id noticed them as he is black?!

I still have the powder left so can treat him for it, just in case.

Vet took a vague look at it when they got their vaccs a few months ago, he just thought it was sweet itch causing it.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Vet told me yesterday that louse powder really doesnt work, only as a preventative. Frontline every time. Treat now, then again in 2 weeks.

MagicMelon

Visit site
If it turns out he doesnt have lice, should I then consider getting the Boett face mask? He has his boett rug on all the time (with neck) but nothing on his face. It would at least help cover the area so maybe he wont be so effective rubbing it?

Does anyone use the mask? I assume I have to take it off everynight (he lives out 24/7) since surely the mesh would obscure his vision more at night-time??

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Yes do get the mask and keep it on all the time. The mesh is quite fine and they have no problem seeing through it at all. I only take the mask off for a few hours when Barney comes in during the day, although I dont need to.

Honeypots

Visit site
I've used the Boett hood but not the mask. The hood I left on 24/7 and it had a fringe over the eyes rather than mesh. It secures to the hood well too so I had no worries about it moving. Don't know about the mask..
Have you tried Net Tex Sweet itch salve. I use that now on my cobs face..

MagicMelon

Visit site
Oh right, where do you get the hood then? Ive only seen the mask one on the Boett site?

With regard to the salve, Im very wary about using anything other than Sudocreme on him TBH as I have bought 2 bottles of stuff meant for sweet itch and he seemed to be allergic to both as he itched 10 times worse!!!

Llwyncwn

Visit site
The mask comes with the new design Boett. The head cover with fringe was from the previous design.

I am using Itch Stop Salve Complete too, but cant say if it works. Have also tried it on horse who just rubs his tail - still rubbing !

dwi

Visit site
My mare gets itchy patches on her face, last year it got bad and came out in raw bleeding areas. Vet said that it was eczema and recommended rinsing twice a day with hibiscrub and then applying Fuciderm cream. Works a treat.