Horse jumping riderless

Filippo

Visit site
I want to buy a young horse. When a young horse jumping very high riderless is that the real amount of scope that the horse have and it will have in future? What I am saying when you see young horse jumping big, is the real scope for the horse or its just a matter of luck on a specific jump. Make sense? Thanks

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s the technique that counts not the height many many young horses will throw huge jumps when first jumped loose .
IMO the very very best horses are automatically economic.
This means they have natural eye to foot coordination.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I was recently commenting on this - horses for courses! You can tell a natural jumper. It's not necessarily economics but that is a big part of it like GS says... it's the willingness and ease with which the horse takes the poles. You can tell how well a horse judges a jump and if you see a horse taking too much interest... walk away.

Unless of course you think you can do better and want to mess about counting strides and stuff. Not my cup of tea. I will automatically look for a horse that likes the job.

wren123

Visit site
In my experience it tends to be but you can improve through training.

However in my experience of jumping at a low level up to 3'6" max, what has been much more important is the horses attitude to jumping, if they like jumping and pull you into the jumps it just makes the whole experience easier and more enjoyable.

Filippo

Visit site
My first horse with which I started was junping
I was recently commenting on this - horses for courses! You can tell a natural jumper. It's not necessarily economics but that is a big part of it like GS says... it's the willingness and ease with which the horse takes the poles. You can tell how well a horse judges a jump and if you see a horse taking too much interest... walk away.

Unless of course you think you can do better and want to mess about counting strides and stuff. Not my cup of tea. I will automatically look for a horse that likes the job.
what do you mean “taking too much interest”?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
My first horse with which I started was junping

what do you mean “taking too much interest”?
It’s when you find horses that look too much and overthink jumps (unconfident)... I have one of those :rolleyes:

In the past, I’ve had confident jumpers that will take you over confidently and without fuss.

I agree you can train them, like I’m doing now but really, if you have the opportunity to buy one for jumping, buy one that likes jumping.

Filippo

Visit site
My first horse a 14 y.o retired GP jumper, he could jump anything but very forward going, VERY! Like crazy. What is the difference between an horse who likes jump and a horse who run through the jump?

Shay

Visit site
Its really difficult to describe in writing - it comes from an experienced eye. The set of the head, the ears. The shape over the jump, the regulalrity of pace inward. How comfortable they look. Horses that love to jump can still run through somewhat - that comes down to experience, training and riding.

sport horse

Visit site
This forum is New Riders & Owners. If you are in this category then you really should be very careful about buying a young horse that is only shown loose jumping. Do you have someone advising you? If not pleae do go and find someone who is really experienced and who you can trust to advise you. This is really important not only for you yourself but also for the sake of any young horse that you might be tempted to purchase. It is a long rocky road ahead!