Horse kept alone

Darcey22

Visit site
What’s everyone’s thoughts? I am thinking of getting a house with a few acres of land so I can keep my horse at home. She is 15 and at a livery yard. She is individually grazed. Hacks alone and a been there done it kind of girl.
Would she be able to be alone or should I buy a companion for her? If I buy a companion, what should I buy?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I kept my old boy alone on a farm for years before I got my old mare and he was fine, my current boy has horses on all sides but none in his field.

Horses get attached so if you are going to have them at home you are better trying them themselves first and if they aren’t fine then maybe pick up a couple of companions from a rescue as if it doesn’t work out you can hand them back.

My last mare got very attached to my old man so taking him away to ride was stressful for her until she realised he came back. Used to gallop about the field for the whole time I was away, Took me months to get her fine with him going away, he didn’t give a crap when I took her 😂

Barton Bounty

Just simply loving life with Orbi 🥰
Visit site
Its a hit or a miss whether you end up with problems with separation anxiety.

If your horse is fine without company then Id be inclined to keep it that way.
Ive had to deal with separation anxiety, its horrific for both of you. Once its there it never goes away.

If you get one companion both may get attached, so therefore you need another companion for that companion. 🤣 but even if you do have a companion, your horse might get attached and not want to leave the companion. Its a vicious circle😳

Zoeypxo

Visit site
I would never keep a horse alone but it can work depending on the horse.
My current horse would be a pain with just one companion so id need to get 2!

JBM

Visit site
I used to only have one horse but she lived with sheep or cows
She would freak out if completely alone in a field (happy to hack alone)
Her personality changed so much when I got another horse. I would never let her be without another horse after that. She never got separation anxiety but they loved each other so much

Peglo

Visit site
I would rather have no horses than keep one alone. They spend the majority of their lives in the field so it’s a place I want them happy. I don’t want them to rely on me for company and attention.

I would get a companion that has similar needs to the horse you have but also easy to handle/keep.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I thought that I had a mare that was happy being an only horse. Only when another arrived did I realise how much she had started living on her nerves. You could see her visibly relax. Since then I have liked to have at least two or three equines.

This, I had my horse in field on her own but she could see others either side of her over the hedge. Thought she was fine till she moved with me to my then work on a livery yard. She slept solidly laying flat out for 24 hours 😕

ETA rescues will loan you either one larger pony who is ok being left alone for short periods or two tiny ones whichever would suit your arrangement best

Last edited:

TPO

Visit site
Keeping a horse alone or on individual turnout doesn't comply with the Five Freedoms, those are as close to guidelines to keeping horses as we have.

Threads like these always garner responses from the "my horse is/was fine", but they aren't. People just don't see what they either don't know or don't care to see. Horses are adaptable and that's why we've gotten away with so much.

They are social herd animals who need interaction with others horses. Being able to see other horses in other fields or walk past them on a yard is not sufficient.

Horses kept isolated and whose only interaction is with people makes some owners think that the horse is happy. "He's so happy to see me", "he comes cantering over", "he always neighs" apparently have no idea about the deprivation that they are causing by keeping the horse isolated.

Like many things we do to horses keeping them alone or in individual paddocks is cruel. People can try to justify it to themselves however they want but that doesn't make it true.

Edited because autocorrect jumbled up words

Last edited:

Goldie's mum

Visit site
It seems to work for some but I’d always feel that it was fundamentally wrong as they are a herd animal. Couple of little shetlands so they had each other while you were out?
This is what I'd do.
Ask World Horse Welfare. They always seem to have non-ridden Shetlands looking for homes. They don't permanently rehome, it's a loan, so you could always give them back if it's not working or your circumstances change.

Titchy Pony

Visit site
I feel strongly that horses should have equine company. They are herd animals and need others about.
When I brought Little Madam home after years in livery I borrowed a friend for her until I got my Old Lady. I got both of them used to being split up for short periods of time the same day by chucking the Old Lady a feed in the field and taking Little Madam out in hand for a short walk. Old Lady is fine for up to a day on her own with food but I borrow a pony if I'm taking Little Madam out longer (away show, going to stud).
I would definitely try to get a laid back companion with the same food needs as your horse, it avoids the complications of the Laurel and Hardy situation I'm currently in.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Most horses prefer company, but not all. I have had a couple who really preferred being on their own, and two that had to be kept separate because they attacked companions, also one that only liked one particular horse. You run the risk of creating separation anxiety if horses are never alone. I used to regularly split up herds, leave horses on their own for a while and rearrange companions so that they get used to comings and goings (I appreciate that most people won’t have larger numbers of horses and be able to do this).

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Most horses prefer company, but not all. I have had a couple who really preferred being on their own, and two that had to be kept separate because they attacked companions, also one that only liked one particular horse. You run the risk of creating separation anxiety if horses are never alone. I used to regularly split up herds, leave horses on their own for a while and rearrange companions so that they get used to comings and goings (I appreciate that most people won’t have larger numbers of horses and be able to do this).
If you have one working horse with two smaller, unridden companions, you have to shift them around over the day because their feeding requirements are so different.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My first pony lived alone for some of his day - he was out with a herd of cows for the remainder of his time. He didn't ever have any other horses around him, and he was actually fine. He regarded his bovine companions as his "herd" and would chivvy them around and herd them, which made him ideal for when we needed to get the cows in at any time; he was absolutely superb at it and you only had to sit there and watch him rather than have to steer. He also loved pigs and there was this old saddleback sow out in the field with him that he adored. That said, keeping a horse solo isn't something I would do now with the knowledge I have accumulated over the years.

I think my current mare probably would be OK to live on her own if she really had to; we've got a huge 10-acre field and she's quite happy to come up to the yard area where she cannot see the others. She doesn't nap or call if she's ridden solo and doesn't rush back to the yard. However it wouldn't sit well with me to have a horse without any other company of its own kind.

It IS actually one of the "Five Freedoms" for animals to be facilitated to enjoy "natural behaviour" which for a horse is going to be part of a herd.

Personally I'd not be at ease if I had a horse living without another of its kind. So why do it?? It isn't hard to get a little companion from a rescue (Munchkins Miniature Shetland Rescue is our local charity and they're often looking for homes for theirs). As an interim measure until a companion can be found, a few sheep would be better than nothing, or in fact something like chicken. Or like my first pony, a pig even!

scats

Visit site
Mine are used to being left alone, all of them. But I wouldn’t expect them to live like that permanently.
Horses are very amenable really and will fit in with what we make them do, but it doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do.

Humans have a habit of reading what they want into situations and interpreting things to make themselves feel better, I’ve found.

stangs

Visit site
Even if your horse is currently individually grazed (which for the most of horses isn't kind to them anyway - it deprives them of expressing a considerable number of natural behaviours, as others have said), she's still used to having other horses around. There might be a fence between them but that's still her safety net, the ones who look out for danger when she's resting, etc. You keep your mare alone and watch how much more she goes over threshold because she's dealing with greater constant baseline stress.

My boy was very much damaged by being kept on his own without horses in sight (before I bought him), even though this was just for a few weeks. During that time, his face was constantly tense but he knew he couldn't do anything so his behaviour was "good". As soon as he was put in a stable herd, his behaviour deteriorated with separation anxiety. Having been alone meant the value of being with other horses was far higher for him than for the others. His herd mates knew they'd be returned to the herd after work, because they always were, but my boy couldn't be sure of that because, one morning, a certain ***** took him from being around other horses to being completely isolated.

Living with others - and being regularly and sympathetically separated from them as a matter of training - makes a horse happier to be alone. That doesn't mean they won't suffer if the other horses get taken away permanently.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I kept my mare t dressage yard on individual turnout , then to another yard on individual turnout,both with horses in next field , then on a yard where my friend and I had to put our horses in together and she was so much calmer once she had a field buddy , I thought she was ok on individual and then felt guilty because she seemed so much happier with a friend