Horse kept alone

tristars

Visit site
Allowing an individual horse to express itself is a freedom, in its everyday personal preferences, needs and personality, how it behaves at liberty, even how it needs to hold itself when competing g prix instead of suppressing individuality, allow it to flourish instead of forcing conformity let horse show us what they need

Landcruiser

Visit site
I would second the advice of getting a companion on a foster basis. I took on 2 section A mares when my old boy died last year, my issue being I was left with 2, and wanted to get my youngster out and about - but my remaining older horse can't be left alone (despite happily hacking alone for over a decade). Unfortunately after 6 months the herd dynamic shifted somehow and the 2 littlies started attacking my young mare. So they have gone back to the rescue and next week I'm collecting a little cob gelding from Horse World.
The rescue organisations are busting at the seams with companion horses, and it's nice to have the back up if things don't work out as in my case. It's also nice that you can pick and choose with regards to management requirements. My remaining two need restricted grazing - so will the coblet.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Individual turnout surrounded by others with the ability to interact over the fence is acceptable in my opinion. I would never keep a horse alone without being able to see, hear and touch other equines. However I do find the comparison with man-made herds who are fenced in with natural wild herds who can free range for miles a bit ridiculous. Horses in man-made herds in confined spaces can be very dangerous to each other. They don’t get to choose whether or not they want to be part of the herd, they are forced into it by humans and often not given enough space. And if you’re on a livery yard and have no choice over who is added to the herd and no control over introductions, it’s a very stressful time.

Horses were kept in herds at my last yard and injuries were not uncommon. I moved my two after a horse was kicked to death and they will never again be turned out with any horse but each other. If I only had one they’d be on individual turnout. Even if you have your own land there is no guarantee that horses you choose to put together will get on, so they might have to live separated by fencing despite your best intentions. That isn’t cruel, it’s managing the situation you have safely and you can apply that to most things we do with domesticated animals because it’s totally different to how they would live in the wild.

equinerebel

Visit site
I hate individual turnout and my mare would never cope with it, but it’s infinitely better than keeping a prey, herd animal completely alone. The latter I consider abuse, no matter how happy the horse seems. They are incredibly stoic and, as prey animals, know not to draw attention themselves. Especially if they are kept alone.

Even the incredibly small amount of horses who, for whatever reason, genuinely prefer being turned out alone should have horses in sight that they can interact with without physical touch.

So much of equine communication is through body language, which horses on individual turnout can at least still partake in.

My mare has separation anxiety after two years of being kept with just one other. She’s now in a mixed herd and is doing a lot better, but I would never force her to be turned out alone 24/7 just to avoid her getting attached to another for my own benefit. She’s a horse.

Please do not keep your horse alone.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Jumping on this thread, apologies OP. We're in a real quandary, yesterday we had to have our 32 year old gelding pts, so its very raw. He lived with our 36 year old pony for the last 20 years, they had a real love/hate relationship, frequent squeals and foot stamping but happily shared a field shelter. He was in vet hospital in June for a week, I thought she would create but she appeared totally chilled. Since he came back they have been in separate paddocks but often stood next to each other by the fence alternatively "chatting" and pulling faces. We gave her sedalin yesterday and let her see him (she totally freaked out, wouldn't go near), but since has appeared to be perfectly happy and relaxed grazing. I absolutely hate seeing horses on their own, but given her temperament and age I don't know if introducing another would be advisable, I would hate for her to be injured .
Not quite sure why I have even posted but would be interested to know if anyone had a similar experience.
Just to add , she lives at home.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I can assure you that none of my “Greta Garbo” horses have or had psychological damage, that’s a ridiculous assertion based purely on your own prejudice and projection. In my extreme youth I took part in studies of mustang herds in the wild in Montana and there were certain horses that lived alone, usually males, but also sometimes older mares. This was by choice, they were not bullied out like the young stallions that often formed bachelor herds of their own. It’s not common, but it’s also not unnatural. Please don’t allow your opinions to become absolute in the face of actual evidence.

Its not a ridiculous assertion. And again, outliers dont justfy horses being treated like this. i suspect the studies of your extreme youth are now outdated as behavioural science has taken huge leaps forward.

2011 but talks about social contact as a strong motivator

That was just the first 2 I found on google and the first one from a journal search. There were 40 pages of journal articles about social separation causing stress, which might only been seen on blood tests as increased cortisol etc.

Horses can be suffering internally whilst on the outside appearing calm and well.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Look I'm Dun, nobody is saying that the majority of horses don't prefer being in herds - of course they do; they're herd animals - all I'm saying is that some horses don't, and claiming that they must therefore be psychologically damaged is simply untrue. I have kept my horses in herds, often quite large groups of 20 or more, and including mares, foals and stallions, for more than 40 years, except for the ones that didn't want to. You can relax, no need to go trawling the internet.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Jumping on the thread too as earlier today I drove past a pony alone in a field full of ragwort, the grass itself was like a bowling green with masses of ragwort dotted about. I looked up the size of the field and it's only half an acre, surrounded by houses so unlikely to have other fields for turnout. Is there even any point of reporting what in my mind are two welfare concerns? Because the RSPCA are rubbish and have ignored much more serious calls from me in the past :(

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I don't support keeping a horse alone. Putting one in single turnout close to and well in sight of others? I can live with that depending on the horse.

Friends mare for example seems to prefer being alone, or in her own space, at least. Sometimes it works with her and another if it's the right horse, and the field is big enough...so she can be well away from the other horse. She is a dominant and a seemingly independent type. I love her personality under saddle and on the ground with people, but with other horses, she is very clear about appreciating her own space. She did have a sh*tty life up until about age 4, so I'm not sure if that set things up for her or if she was just sorta born this way.

I had a horse that had scarring from being kept alone. He self mutilated. He was kept isolated by a previous owner. When I owned him, he was always with other horses and fit in well with them, so he seemed to have social skills, at least. The extent of his scarring was sad though, I would never isolate a horse, especially because he was just fine with others.

I would consider it cruel and a detriment to keep my 3 year old alone. Or any young horse, really. IMO they need those herd interactions, especially at a young age. He's been in a field of young colts, mixed herds, and with a smaller group of geldings. He's quite adaptable. I think he likes the company and stimulation. He can also be kept alone, if needed (quarantine, medical, temporary, etc), but I'd never do it longterm or permanently.

So unless it's downright dangerous or very clear that a horse is a solitary type, I won't keep a horse alone. I've seen some horses kept alone they are so desperate for attention, their owners, and any kind of stimulation. Some people even think it's "cute" and I can only assume that they don't (want to) know better.

If I couldn't find any horses to go out with mine at a yard, I'd either move or buy another. Easier said than done, I know, but I've also never been at a yard where every livery refused to put their horse with another.

scats

Visit site
Jumping on the thread too as earlier today I drove past a pony alone in a field full of ragwort, the grass itself was like a bowling green with masses of ragwort dotted about. I looked up the size of the field and it's only half an acre, surrounded by houses so unlikely to have other fields for turnout. Is there even any point of reporting what in my mind are two welfare concerns? Because the RSPCA are rubbish and have ignored much more serious calls from me in the past :(

A friend has reported some ponies who are in a bare paddock so riddled with ragwort that you can barely see the ground. One pony is also very poor. No-one is interested.

TPO

Visit site

Maybe best contacting BHS or WHW over RSCPA.

I think ragwort is a reportable weed so it might be worth contacting local council too

spotty_pony2

Visit site
I know people who do - in fact I am looking after one at the moment whilst the owner is on holiday. Whilst he seems very happy - he is an older boy around 28 - he can’t see any other horses so I do wonder if he gets lonely. I wouldn’t do it personally - if I ended up with one on its own I’d be getting a little pony as a companion from a rescue centre or something.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Maybe best contacting BHS or WHW over RSCPA.

I think ragwort is a reportable weed so it might be worth contacting local council too

Thank you, the council is a good thought. There is a significant quantity of ragwort.

A friend has reported some ponies who are in a bare paddock so riddled with ragwort that you can barely see the ground. One pony is also very poor. No-one is interested.

That's so sad, I wonder if they simply don't have the manpower or don't care? I have found the RSPCA to be shockingly bad in the past.

irishdraft

Visit site
I wouldn't keep a horse on his own, tho surprisingly I know about 6 people who do. I can see the advantages to the carer and I know of the disadvantages of having 2 as this is how I have mine. My retired horse is a very good companion & is happy on his own whilst I'm out on my ridden horse , who also leaves without creating a fuss. The main problem I have is my retired horse is a fatty but the ridden is a fine so balancing their grazing needs is very difficult especially as they live out

I'm Dun

Visit site
Look I'm Dun, nobody is saying that the majority of horses don't prefer being in herds - of course they do; they're herd animals - all I'm saying is that some horses don't, and claiming that they must therefore be psychologically damaged is simply untrue. I have kept my horses in herds, often quite large groups of 20 or more, and including mares, foals and stallions, for more than 40 years, except for the ones that didn't want to. You can relax, no need to go trawling the internet.

But the current research now shows that they are stressed with high levels of cortisol amongst other things when socially isolated. I've never disagreed that some horses wont integrate into company, but those horses are not normal and I think psychologically damaged is a pretty good term for a horse that has to be kept alone, and whilst it might be the best option in a situation, it doesn't mean that they are living a stress free happy life contrary to what it looks like on the outside.

And again, people are using these outliers to justify keeping their horses alone. It suits them, the horse seems fine, so they do it. Internally the horse is showing high levels of stress which is mentally and physically damaging. I'm sure research will leap forward again, but for now, we know that these horses that look ok externally are not ok internally when kept alone.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
But the current research now shows that they are stressed with high levels of cortisol amongst other things when socially isolated. I've never disagreed that some horses wont integrate into company, but those horses are not normal and I think psychologically damaged is a pretty good term for a horse that has to be kept alone, and whilst it might be the best option in a situation, it doesn't mean that they are living a stress free happy life contrary to what it looks like on the outside.

And again, people are using these outliers to justify keeping their horses alone. It suits them, the horse seems fine, so they do it. Internally the horse is showing high levels of stress which is mentally and physically damaging. I'm sure research will leap forward again, but for now, we know that these horses that look ok externally are not ok internally when kept alone.
No "we" don't. For those horses that prefer to be alone it is less stressful, indeed physically safer, for them to live as they have indicated they wish to. It is better not to make assumptions and treat horses as individuals in my experience.

paddy555

Visit site
Jumping on this thread, apologies OP. We're in a real quandary, yesterday we had to have our 32 year old gelding pts, so its very raw. He lived with our 36 year old pony for the last 20 years, they had a real love/hate relationship, frequent squeals and foot stamping but happily shared a field shelter. He was in vet hospital in June for a week, I thought she would create but she appeared totally chilled. Since he came back they have been in separate paddocks but often stood next to each other by the fence alternatively "chatting" and pulling faces. We gave her sedalin yesterday and let her see him (she totally freaked out, wouldn't go near), but since has appeared to be perfectly happy and relaxed grazing. I absolutely hate seeing horses on their own, but given her temperament and age I don't know if introducing another would be advisable, I would hate for her to be injured .
Not quite sure why I have even posted but would be interested to know if anyone had a similar experience.
Just to add , she lives at home.
So sorry you lost you lad.

I have lost several and been left with their companions.
The only thing I know for sure is there is no way of knowing. I would just sit and wait, see what happens. I think it would be quite a risk putting another pony in with an oldie.

Hope she is ok

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
No "we" don't. For those horses that prefer to be alone it is less stressful, indeed physically safer, for them to live as they have indicated they wish to. It is better not to make assumptions and treat horses as individuals in my experience.
OP obviously doesn't know that their horse prefers to live alone, or alongside, rather than with, other horses, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist. They wouldn't have asked for HHO opinions.
And as no-one else knows the horse, the answers can only be generalisations. In general horses thrive in herds, there are exceptions, which cause their owners to find other ways of providing them with the social interactions that all herd animals require to remain mentally healthy.

paddy555

Visit site
Thank you, the council is a good thought. There is a significant quantity of ragwort.

That's so sad, I wonder if they simply don't have the manpower or don't care? I have found the RSPCA to be shockingly bad in the past.
I wouldn’t be too hopeful about the council. Many of our main roads are infested this year and they don’t appear to have noticed.

tristars

Visit site
Having read researches into various areas over the years the thing that strikes me a little way into some of it is that the researchers need researching for some of the things they do to horses during their research, which leads me to feel sceptical of the validity and credibility of the results they claim

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Mine are out individually but can touch each other over the fences. The mare hates other horses and gets very anxious. I’d try her out with another one if I had another suitable mare but the two geldings are both dominant horses so I wouldn’t risk it. My old boy used to only live with my other boy who I sadly had to have pts a few years ago. I didn’t think he would ever be able to live with any other horses as he could be funny and would charge at them but now both geldings do turn out well together although the Friesian sometimes likes to herd him around so I alternate between them being together and then separating them. Sometimes I’ll put together for the afternoon and separate in the evening so my old boy can have some peace and do his own thing. He used to hate having his own field but quite likes it now he is older I think so he can chill out and do his own thing. The Friesian is clingy and being alone some of the time as helped him grow in confidence and he is now relaxed on his own and not bothered when I move the others around.

dougpeg

Visit site
I've given up horses until I relocate to an area that offers group turnout. A sad situation but keeping them on small spaced individual turnout compromised my value base too much. Furthermore, in no way, shape or form, would I entertain the idea of keeping a horse entirely alone. You don't see sheep or cattle kept that way.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've given up horses until I relocate to an area that offers group turnout. A sad situation but keeping them on individual turnout compromised my value base too much. Furthermore, in no way, shape or form, would I entertain the idea of keeping a horse entirely alone. You don't see sheep or cattle kept that way.
Interesting take: who on earth would have one sheep?

Chippers1

Visit site
My old yard had one sheep, she was rejected by her mother when the YO daughter was doing lambing work experience so she brought her home. She lived for years and was a great addition to the yard, she used to steal the kids packed lunches if they left them within reach :D she'd often be found standing at a gateway shouting to be let through into another field! She was such a character and was very much missed when she died.

Janique

Visit site
If think it depend on the horse.

I had a rig and he was great to ride in the companies of mares, to compete and even standing next to the mares in the lorry
but he hated other geldings.

Once another horse escaped in his field and he went for him, grabbing his neck and hurting him.

Once he retired from eventing, i kept him on an enormous field alone and he was happy.

He didn't seems to miss other horses, at first i didn't feel comfortable to leave him alone but has was fine alone-.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Interesting take: who on earth would have one sheep?
We had one. She was the last of 3. We bought a ewe and 2 lambs and over the years mum and one daughter died. We decided that it wouldn't be fair to expect her to cope with much younger companions but the 3 of them had always been close to our cob, former brood-mare. So when we started bringing the mare in overnight in late autumn, Sue sheep came with her, they shared the stable very contentedly for a few years until Sue died aged 12. The mare was always very protective of the sheep and looked after the next 3 lambs that we took on when a friend had hand- reared them.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Our boy is really good on his own, but he’s just so happy when he has company. I’d never keep him on his own. But two can become very difficult as they can get too attached. If one goes out riding the other can get very stressed. Three is a better group.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
So sorry you lost you lad.

I have lost several and been left with their companions.
The only thing I know for sure is there is no way of knowing. I would just sit and wait, see what happens. I think it would be quite a risk putting another pony in with an oldie.

Hope she is ok
Just a little update, watching our girl we noticed she was spending a lot of time hanging round near the house rather than off grazing, so think she is looking for company. We have luckily found someone with a retired pony of similar size who is coming here in a couple of weeks to live in an adjoining field, not proper retirement livery, owner will still be responsible for everything but I am happy to monitor so they only need visit once a day. Maybe we will be able to put them together at some point, who knows, but at least hopefully our mare will be happier.