Horse kicking out when being caught

BC24

New User
Visit site
Hello! Looking for some advice. My horse recently has started a bad habit, every time i go to catch him he turns round on me, ears flat back and will give an attempt to kick. I do have to move out the way or he will kick me, i think again go back up until I'm quick enough to grab him. Then once i have him i can control the behaviour. I now have a field safe head collar on him, although hes getting wise to this and will turn quickly. I've given him a whack with the lead rope etc and once i have ahold of him he gets a whack if he starts to think about it. I have been told maybe a chifney, but then i dont think id get near him to get it on.

Im just worried, he gets worst and it becomes more dangours.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
So many factors behind why this habit has started...how long have you had your horse, how old is he, what is his history, is he with a herd, do you catch routinely every, do you only catch and work, do you catch and make the experience a pleasant one ....whacking him with anything will not make him want to be caught....can you have someone video the experience and post it? It would help those wanting to give you advice.

Trouper

Visit site
I think we need a bit more info on his routine BC24. How long has he been out for when you go to catch him, are you taking him away from his companions, what are you doing with him when you do catch him?

Sir barnaby

Visit site
I dont think a chifney is the right way to go, does he have any feed at all my horses are brilliant to catch but I have a tyre bowl in the field and pop some feed in a bucket and place it in the tyre bowl, and while he’s eating pop his headcollar on, do my jobs then catch him when I’m ready to take him in, when I have two together and did the same with two tyre bowls, and had no falling out or hassle, if you don’t want to feed at the time your catching then have a couple of carrots or a small amount of nuts in a scioop, obviously this will only work if he’s alone in his paddock if he’s with a herd then it makes it more difficult, in that case could you make a small pen encourage him in there then give him a carrot or small feed while you pop his hear collar on, that way he’s facing you and not turning his bum on you. I don’t feed any treats at any other time but I always catch with food and he gets a carrot while I take off the headcollar when I turn him out so he always stands still and faces me. Hope that helps a little

Sir barnaby

Visit site
We even have company at feed times ?

Attachments

• 3FC4C7B6-EBEE-44FF-8AFB-325BBF960CBC.jpeg
    3FC4C7B6-EBEE-44FF-8AFB-325BBF960CBC.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 24

meleeka

Visit site
as above it does depend on why he’s started the behaviour, but i think I’d be offering a carrot or treat for your own safety so you can get his head before he turns round.

I usually catch mine with a treat. They expect it’s coming so even when I haven’t got one to hand, they still stand still and wait for it. One of mine has always been tricky to catch, but he’d do anything for food so if makes sense to play to his weakness.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would train him to be caught with food, by catching him with food walking him a few steps and then letting him go again. I would do that several times each day, then build on the success by taking him out of the field, either to a small bucket feed or to some hay, then return him to the field. Even when you get to working him after being caught, I would catch him sometimes without working him.

Lyle

Visit site
I'd be round penning him and teaching him to face up to the handler, and learning that turning his butt to you is not and option, and will result in him having to work hard and move his feet. He needs to learn being with the handler is great, he can rest and be rubbed. There's many different methods that all have a similar outcome. You can find videos on you tube and info online. He has a serious disrespect issue that needs to be addressed.

twiggy2

Visit site
The worst thing to do with a horse is grab it when catching, they will just get quicker and quicker or start to avoid you when you are a greater distance away.
Also don't whack him when you have him, its not creating a good association with being caught.
A chifney is for horses that rear, it has the potential to be a very severe bit with just the slightest of rough handling, it also will do nothing to help you catch the horse so how is it going to help?
I also am keen to know how long you have had the horse and if its lifestyle has changed in anyway recently

scruffyponies

Visit site
I would say that the reaction is one of unease at being put under pressure, possibly due to pain or not liking his work, but more often just a generally unsettled, anxious horse. Grabbing, whacking, chasing etc make it worse.
Have some treats in your pocket, and over the course of a few days make a habit of slipping a rope quietly over his neck, and giving him a treat or two when you get the headcollar on. Don't bring him in. Just catch and treat. Then give a treat each time you catch. Only do this AFTER you get the headcollar on... the crafty little blighters soon learn to play you otherwise!
Once he associates being caught with getting a treat, start giving the treat only once you get out of the gate. Soon he will look forward to being caught, and after a while he'll forget it was even food-related.

Annagain

Visit site
Now that my boy is out 24/7 he got a little bit reluctant to be caught - not doing anything nasty just walking away when he saw me coming. He actually wasn't being ridden as he had a saddle issue but I think he thought it was going to happen - or he was just having too much fun in the field! For a couple of days, I didn't catch him at all - just fed him a treat (he's a bit mouthy so he never gets treats normally) made a fuss of him (while giving him a quick check over) and walked away. I then caught him, brought him in, gave him a token feed, picked out his feet and put him back out and repeated for a couple of days. Now he sees my car and is at the gate before I am, just like in the winter.

littleshetland

Visit site
I've never ever tried to catch mine without a carrot in my pocket. They have a carrot when I turn them out - they stand quietly munching while I take head collars off, and are so easy to catch again, because they know they're going to get a treat. I had a mare that had this kicking habit when I first got her. She was an absolute cow and would back up to me waving her hooves very threateningly. I spent time just approaching her in the field, giving her a treat and a fuss (once she'd allowed me to get near) and then leaving her to it. She became a lot better to catch as time passed, but could never really help pulling faces and thinking about kicking although she never did as more time passed. In all other respects she was a lovely lovely horse. I think chifneys, smacking, disciplining and chucking my weight about would have just made everything 100 times worse.

ihatework

Visit site
I’d be inclined to get someone in to give you a hand. I suspect there will be other tell tale signs in addition to this dangerous catching behaviour that have the potential to escalate. This won’t have come out of nowhere, but without seeing the overall situation and interactions between you and the horse I’m not sure giving specific advise other than forget the chifney and get some help is advisable.

9tails

Visit site
Is he new to you? If not, why is he so reluctant to be caught and has he always been the same? As others suggested, a treat works wonders in gaining their cupboard love. Deep breath, relax, smile, because your horse will 100% know that you're scared.

Reactions: Kat

Annagain

Visit site
You've had lots of good advice about just giving him some treats to start. In terms of getting to him to give him the treats, your body language is important. Try to approach him from an angle of about 45 degrees (so your shoulder is pointing at him rather than your chest) and don't look at him as you do. Some see a direct approach as confrontational so either run away or fight back. Aim for a spot a few meters in front of him, show him the treat and let him come to you. Keep your eyes down while he approaches. My old boy could be a pain to catch at times. Looking at him was the worse thing I could do in those situations. It was all a game to him and eye contact meant "Game On!"

Cowpony

Visit site
I have one that can be hard to catch in the summer. I read somewhere that when a mare leaves her foal hidden in long grass she will come back to it, walk across in front of it a few yards away, then walk up to it and nuzzle it on the forehead. That is the foal's signal that it's safe to stand up and be seen. I started doing this with mine, and it really did seem to help a lot. As does the rustling plastic bag full of treats that I always keep in the same pocket, so as soon as I put my hand to my pocket she knows she'll get a treat. I also try to approach at an angle, so I'm effectively standing facing the same way as her, which I think they find less threatening.

Casey76

Visit site
I think that if I was grabbed, then whacked, I ‘d be pretty reluctant to be caught too, and start to show more defensive behaviours.

You need to de-escalate the whole situation.

Spend some time with him in the field. Take a book, park your self somewhere comfortable (and safe) and just be there. If he comes up to investigate, give him a rub and go back to reading; if he doesn’t come over, that’s ok too. After a period of time, just get up and leave. Build up from there. Take really small steps, and at no point ‘give him a whack’. You can send him away with high energy movements and voice, but hitting a horse when they are being defensive to start with is never going to help

TBH, I’m not a fan of taking food into the field, especially if there are other horses, and will only use food as an enticement in emergency situations.