Horse kicks - picking up feet help

Sambo

Visit site
Ive recently got a 2.5 yr old cob who has had very little done with his feet.

He has never had the farrier see to his hind feet, just his front, as his previous owner said he doesnt like having his back legs picked up.

I have started brushing his hind legs - which he will let me do, but if i run the brush down his leg as if i am about to ask for his hoof he picks his leg up and strikes out. So far I havent actually asked for his hoof (ive only had him 3 days!), ive just been brushing.

How would you go about sorting this out?

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
have seen monty roberts demonstrating using a rubber hand so you don't get kicked and basically you don't move the hand away with the kicking until horse stands and accepts it, then u remove the hand, google it xx

Dancing Queen

Visit site
broom handle with a stuffed marigold/glove or duster attached. Run down horses legs to get horse used to it - doesnt take to long tbh, My foals are picking all four feet up and held to be picked out within a few days. Need to work quietly around them xx

Tnavas

Visit site
Leg grabbing is a form of aggresive horse play so it is not surprising that he reacts this way.

Get yourself a long thick soft rope and gently place it around the leg, allow it to slide down th ethe pastern then give the rope a couple of twists. The just quietly hold onto the rope.

Initially he may kick out but the rope will not go away so eventually he will stop kicking out. Now you can lift the leg, up, forwards and outwards. Each thing you do hold until he stops making a fuss then let the foot down.

The hand on a stick is good but doesn't always help with the actual picking up safely.

flyingfeet

Visit site
As Evelyn, but I would probably progress to a back leg hobble, so they learn to pick hind legs up and balance, the aim is that they do not lean on my farrier

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I have seen a lot of people who grab round the whole leg rather than lifting the leg with the palm of the inside hand [left hand on left side] and leaving the hind part open, so if the horse kicks backwards there is no chance of getting a broken wrist, the horse is less likely to react badly as he does not feel "trapped"

calon

Visit site
I always start with rubbing down with a grooming mit progress to brushing then running hand down leg holding ect then if difficlut to pic up I put soft rope round get then used to that touching and running it up an down leg then slip under fetlock and with little presure lift a little and release then gradually lift higher and longer take it in stages ,when you can raise the leg with rope then progress to taking holding of it an dlowering to floor and picking up by hand ect some really fight some dont but not rush it all at once and plenty of praise and treats we have had some eally bad ones over the years but this never fails if hes feathery dont be pulling his feathers either get hold of the leg and have a good person holding him and dont forget to get him happy with pulling his legs forward too for farrier to finish his feet x

mmel001

Visit site
My horse was a bit like this when I first got him. I started off with a rolled up feed back to try and desensitise him to touch, and be far enough away, but the feedbag was too flexible. I had a lady out to help me and she suggested buying a cheap charity shop walking stick, sawing a bit off the hooked end, I got a cheap girth fleece and some vet wrap.

Basically I used the fake arm to touch him all over, until I could eventually get close enough to use my own hands. I then used the fake arm to ask him to lift his feet. This way I could be far enough away to avoid any kicks and I could also keep the fake arm with him.

It's important for the horse to learn that you don't go away when he kicks, otherwise you are effectively teaching him to kick! However... Doing that safely! So with my boy, if he kicked out, I'd keep calm, keep where I was holding the fake arm on his leg or as close to, as soon as the leg was on the ground and he stood for a few seconds I'd move it away, and gradually increase the time I'd ask for the leg etc, and eventually worked my way down to asking for the foot with my hand. Now I'm pregnant I'm working on asking for the foot at the knee! lol

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Good advice being given, definately with the fake hand. Do it slowly, regularly and carefully. Be clear to your horse so he knows what you want. My hubby is a farrier and you would be amazed how many people will book him for their horse for whom they cannot pick up the feet!!!!! Farriers are not miracle workers and need to be safe - it is their livelihood - sorry rant over, I know you didn't expect a farrier to sort him out :)
You could try clicker training I am sure that would be good for feet handling too.
Good luck he will come around with patience and consistency.

fizzer

Visit site
I do the fake hand on a stick and then progress to an old walking stick, tape securely padding of some kind so the curved bit is soft. Use that then hook the foot up, you are a safe distance away. Has always been great for me.