Horse killed lamb… upset and angry

dominobrown

Visit site
I don’t why I am posting on here as I so upset. We had a late lamb born this morning. It was big and healthy. The horses live in the same field and have done for years though there is parts of the field where the sheep can get under the electric fence but the horses can’t. I had ridden the horses out of the field this evening (catch one, tie it upside arena which is adjacent to field brush and ride etc and turn back out) and when I turned out the last one it for some reason chased the lamb, and the other horse (3 horses total) joined in. I was running to stop them and the lamb was about metre away from going under the electric fence when it got stomped on. It was still on its feet and I got it to safety immediately. I spoke to the vet and administered painkillers but it died slowly with me and it’s mum. It was horrific. I am so so angry with the horses and myself. Partner says just to get rid of them. I am in tears and don’t know what to do with myself. Suppose I am just venting on here. Have no idea why it happened.

misst

Visit site
That must have been horrific to watch. I have no livestock so can't offer a comment except to say horses I have had have chased dogs out of their fields before and friends cob did stamp on a dog in his field (it was big and the cob was small and unshod so no great damage done). I assume the horse felt threatened in some way?

dominobrown

Visit site
That must have been horrific to watch. I have no livestock so can't offer a comment except to say horses I have had have chased dogs out of their fields before and friends cob did stamp on a dog in his field (it was big and the cob was small and unshod so no great damage done). I assume the horse felt threatened in some way?
It was a tiny lamb. Think they were just being territorial assholes. Cannot fathom a reason why. Just keep wishing I had done something differently

misst

Visit site
It was a tiny lamb. Think they were just being territorial assholes. Cannot fathom a reason why. Just keep wishing I had done something differently
I am sorry it must have been terrible but horses are animals and as you say territorial sometimes - none of us has a crystal ball and I bet it won't happen again on your watch. If you'd known it would happen I am sure you'd have prevented it.

Ratface

Visit site
That sounds truly shocking. I'm so sorry to read about your dreadful experience.
Strangely enough, I went to the yard this afternoon and the YO told me that my horse had chased the pet sheep, (who he knows really well and usually totally ignores), out of his field.
I think, in this case, the horses and probably the sheep has/have, like us, been very badly affected by having to have our venerable and much-loved old cow pts this week. Her back legs no longer worked.
The overall herd order had been suddenly broken. Days later, all the animals, dogs, cat, horses, people are still in shock and on knife edges of grief.

dominobrown

Visit site
Mum sheep is upset. They all seem fine now. The horse that actually killed the lamb has lived out with them all winter and was fine with all the other newborns. They have lived together in and off for about 5 years and horse has lived with sheep previous to that too for 8 years total and never done anything. I have seen him chase a cat out of his stable a few times but they are too quick for him. He was a shod 17hh Irish draught. When I rang the vet he said lamb probably wouldn’t survive that. I administered one injection of painkillers and was agreement with the vet if the lamb hadn’t improved to give her a large dose of painkillers in a few hours. I am so sorry for her mum.

nagblagger

Visit site
We have a horse field where the sheep don't go because a similar thing happened, they go in with donkeys and 'safe' old horses. It had never happened before, like you, didn't know what caused it. The horse owner was mortified, but as other people have said, no blame, animals are unpredictable. It must have been horrible to see, really sorry.

dominobrown

Visit site
Thank you guys. My partner isn’t helping blaming me and saying the horse is a murderer and has to go. Think they were a bit playful and rough. He is an older horse.

NinjaPony

Visit site
It’s not your fault and it’s not the horse’s fault either. Animals can do things that we as humans find appalling. They are only domesticated up to a point. All you can do is try and make sure it doesn’t ever happen again, and try to forgive yourself and the horse too. Very sorry for you, that must have been awful to witness.

Rokele55

Visit site
I have seen one herd of ponies kill mixy rabbits, another herd of feral ponies kill a dog. I have known several sheep killing horses. I have no idea why they do it and am quite sure it is not a 'conscious decision ' so to speak, some primitive instinct to protect themselves or their food I suppose. I am so sorry you had this experience, rotten, nasty thing to happen

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thank you guys. My partner isn’t helping blaming me and saying the horse is a murderer and has to go. Think they were a bit playful and rough. He is an older horse.

That's really harsh :(
So sorry you had to witness something like this, I understand that it's hard not to resent the "killer" but horses are strange animals at times, you couldn't have predicted this outcome...it's nobody's fault x

Clodagh

Visit site
It must have been horrible. I’m so sorry. Your OH is putting human emotions on to an animal and will hopefully calm down.
Years ago my dog got in a fight and her and another dog killed the third one. It took me a very long time to forgive her and I never got over it, but I did move on.
Be kind to yourself, separate them in future and try not to bear any malice.

Patterdale

Visit site
Horses are assholes for killing lambs. Mine killed 2 this year and it is very distressing. I’ve never known horses act in this way with anything else but unfortunately I’ve seen and heard of it lots with them and lambs.
With ours, the empty ewes were turned out with them but two lambed very late unexpectedly. Will never keep them in with anything with a remote chance of being in lamb again.

So sorry for you ??

Spotherisk

Visit site
We’ve had the horses chase lambs, pigs, and stamp on and kill our young JRT. The lamps and pigs were chased but not too closely, the JRT didn’t stand a chance.

It is shocking when you see it - in none of the cases was it expected, it came out of the blue.

Cragrat

Visit site
For herbivores, horses can be really agressive. DEFINITELY not your fault, nor the horses'. It seems to be somethings some of them do - mine has killed two pet lamsbs. I've no idea why - in my horses' case I'm sure it was deliberate. He is fine with dogs and chickens as long as they don't go near his feed. Horrid for you to witness, but sadly seems to be part of nature.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Horses *really* do not like small things round their feet. We used to have a gelding who killed at least one rat in his stable every winter and I knew a hunter who killed a whole litter of kittens in his stable - mum had them in his bed.

dominobrown

Visit site
Think OH is calming down a bit. There is no point punishing the horses, and they ran off when I gave a blood curdling scream as it happened and they disappeared. It all got a bit „saving private Ryan“ then, obviously I won’t go into details about the injuries. OH realised how upset I was eventually as I rarely cry or be upset but I have been very distressed.

dominobrown

Visit site
Horses *really* do not like small things round their feet. We used to have a gelding who killed at least one rat in his stable every winter and I knew a hunter who killed a whole litter of kittens in his stable - mum had them in his bed.
That sounds horrific too. Horse is a big hunter type and normally cuddly and goofy.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
That sounds horrific too. Horse is a big hunter type and normally cuddly and goofy.

So was that one, I knew him well, he was used to cats and appeared to be quite happy to have the adults around his stable. In fact he would let one of them sit on his back.

ETA, I'm glad that OH is calming down.