Horse Lame, any ideas?

JoClark

Visit site
Now before I explain I would like to point out I would get the vet out if needed.

My question is to what it could possibly be.

I went to the yard today, ive not been all week because I had a knee op last Sat and friends have been looking after him. He was ridden with no problems on Thursday.

We brought him in from the field, no obvious lameness. My friend got on and started warming him up another friend pointed out he seemed a bit stiff in his hind left, I didn't think too much nor notice too much because until he's warmed up he can sometimes be a bit lazy. She cantered him and he seemed ok (not 100% though) then noticed in trot again he didn't seem to happy so stopped him. I picked his leg up and he didn't have anything in it but he wouldn't put it back down, so we started to take him up to the yard and he was walking but his toe was going down and he didn't seem to put weight on the heel. Trotted him up and tried to go into canter and not happy in trot. I have put him out with a friend tonight so he doesnt get stiff in the stable, he's not they type to hurt himself then run around like a maniac. No heat or swelling.

I was wondering if he had slipped and pulled a muscle or as the ground was so wet and now hard that he may have bruised a sole. He barely has a frog now due to the weather. Farrier due next sat but I have text him to see if he can come asap.

Thanks in advance.

JoClark

Visit site
The farrier came today and my poor boy did have an abscess but hasn't now, due to the very wet winter his soles are very thin and he has bruises on all feet :( especially the lame leg. I feel awful and my farrier cant believe he didn't have us off being in so much pain. Its also very odd that he didn't show any signs of lameness before.

He changed his shoes and raised them slightly to put less pressure on his hooves and my boy was instantly better, will take him for a walk in hand on the road in a few days and see how he gets on.

Thanks

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
If the soles are thin and frogs contracted, I would start on remedial diet .. hi fibre lo sugar, augmented minerals, and remove both hinds.
100-150 micronised linseed meal [charnwood milling]
pro hoof http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/pro-hoof
non molassed chaff eg Dengie non molassed , lo alfa
non molassed s/beet eg quick beet / speedy beet.
Have a look at Rockley farm blog, al the horses are remedial, and all have abandoned special shoes for support. Instant cures are masking the symptoms I am afraid.

JoClark

Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

He is already on a high fibre low sugar diet. I don't like him to have anything that can upset his belly.

We have had such a wet winter and he has TB hooves, there are very few TB with good hooves what ever you do with them especially with the winter we've had.

When I say he was instantly better, he wasn't trotting or running around, he looked more comfortable walking instantly.

His shoes aren't special, they are slightly raised to take the pressure off. I trust my farrier and will do what he has said, he is very good.

Thank you