Horse lame, but only on one rein...

Oaksflight

Visit site
Hal is lame on front left, but only in trot, and only on one rein. He was slightly the other day, but we worked through it, but y'day he was much worse, put him on lunge to check it wasn't just with weight on his back, and he was still. I left him in last night, and about to see if he's improved, if he still hasn't after weekend I'll get vet out.

Anyway, question is, should I leave him in or turn him out? Always thought to turn him out unless badly lame, which he's not. Am hoping he's just done something silly in field and bruised himself, rather than it being anything to do with his back muscles!
crazy.gif

Oaksflight

Visit site
Haven't actually. Lunged him today, he's fine w/o tack on, but once he gets weight on his back he goes slightly lame again. Vet is coming out today, hoping it's something simple and not his back... Will keep that as an option though! Thanks x

lastchance

www.freewebs.com
Hate to be the voice of doom!
frown.gif
but my lad started like that just ever so slightly irregular on one rein on a circle, box rest didn't help. turnout didn't help, and unfortunately, ringbone, sidebone , navicular! If you're worried, get the vet to check, better safe than sorry!
crazy.gif

lornaA

Visit site
My horse only lame on one rein and she's got navicular. Sure your horse probably doesn't have that, with the navicular she was very "is she lame / is she sound" for a while was not a definate sudden lameness.
frown.gif

selina25

Visit site
It is normal for slight lameness to be shown only in trot, if on one side it does sound like a back prob, poss a pulled muscle my shetland slipped a few weeks back (during the thunder storms) took a week to recover (ony anti inflam though from vet) I would leave for three days if not looking in severe pain then call vet. there are many reasons for one sided lameness (esp during when mares in season are around/or new horses are entered poss a kick)

Vet will prob give you some anti inflam or/and bute

by the way I was about to leave for hol last saturday and my TB walked across the field lame on the right fore new horse had been put in the field and they were all crazee and the ground is so hard and hilly could have been kicked or slipped YO promised to check on him and I was on the phone 24/7 but he recovered within two days..... horses eh ,, I have learnt to be worried when everything goes fine... something is def brewing

dont stress,,,,,,,,,,