Horse lame day after fall

willothewisp

Visit site
My horse tripped and fell in the arena yesterday (sand and carpet ride), didn't get stuck on anything and had no problem getting up. She was fine after the fall and had no sign of lameness. Today she has come out the box fine in walk but obviously lame on the hind leg on the side she fell on when trotted up. No sign of heat and no obvious sign of discomfort when palpitated. She is eating up fine and is happy in herself generally. I have turned her out with some quite field pal and I am putting this just down to her being stiff from the fall, thinking a few days off and see where we are at. She is kept on a professional yard and three of the yard staff are saying that they feel she just needs some rest as is sore.In all the years I have had horses, I have never had one that has fallen like this so don't really know what to expect. Any advice would be very welcome.

willothewisp

Visit site
Thanks both I will just keep an eyeon her for now. Reason for fall was an inexperienced rider and a clumpy surface just slipped and got her legs tangled. Rider went out of the front door and she couldn't recover her balance. Just a genuine and unfortunate set of circumstances really.

SEL

Visit site
M had a fall in the field a few months ago (silly galloping and must have hit a rough bit of ground). I spoke to the vet and it was basically danilon and keep an eye on him. I got his usual physio out about 4 weeks later and there were still some sore spots, but he was a million times better after some message work.

He did hit the ground hard poor lad. One minute I was laughing at them being silly and then it was drop everything and run to the field. The relief when he got up!!

oldie48

Visit site
I bet he's just sore and stiff. One of our horses fell whilst jumping n a warm up he got up and and jumped a clear round but the next day was so sore and stiff we had to withdraw him. He was fine in a couple of days but It's worth just keeping an eye on them to make sure it's nothing more serious.

willothewisp

Visit site
M had a fall in the field a few months ago (silly galloping and must have hit a rough bit of ground). I spoke to the vet and it was basically danilon and keep an eye on him. I got his usual physio out about 4 weeks later and there were still some sore spots, but he was a million times better after some message work.

He did hit the ground hard poor lad. One minute I was laughing at them being silly and then it was drop everything and run to the field. The relief when he got up!!
Thanks Sel I think the physio would be a good idea. I will book her in for a few weeks fingers crossed my mare will be ok bybthen. My 12 year old lad was on her at the time and is so worried about her but he had a close shave himself

willothewisp

Visit site
I bet he's just sore and stiff. One of our horses fell whilst jumping n a warm up he got up and and jumped a clear round but the next day was so sore and stiff we had to withdraw him. He was fine in a couple of days but It's worth just keeping an eye on them to make sure it's nothing more serious.
Thank you for sharing this I am hoping it is similar. She carried on for the rest of the session practising intro A and seemed fine but different story today. We will rest her up for a bit and see how she is later in the week

Orangehorse

Visit site
I went to a physio giving a talk once and she said, that like humans, a horse can have a fall and seem quite OK but often later on something will not be quite right as they are moving slightly differently to protect something that hurt. In other words she was saying that if a horse has a fall get it checked out at some stage! (of course you have to ask the vet).

I once bought a horse with a clean 5* vetting, although she had some recent minor scratches and cuts around her head. A few weeks later she seemed not quite OK. Vet and I came to the conclusion that the cuts may have been caused by galloping round in the field and maybe sliding around or falling or colliding with something and although she was fine immediately after, because she was slightly protecting an injury it came out later. She was fine after some physio and never had any more of that sort of problem.