Horse leaping into canter

elliehayes92

Visit site
My horse has recently started leaping in the air when I ask for the first canter. Today he bucked when asking for the second but then every other canter transition is fine

It also only seems to happen when I ride in the evening/in the dark.

No other physical symptoms.

He’s got a saddle fitter out tomorrow and he had the physio a few weeks ago.

Carrottom

Visit site
So he shouldn't be fresh then. My other ideas would be: do you warm up the same as you would during the day? Is it likely that your own energy is raised, for example if you have rushed to get to ride, my other half's horse became a complete live wire if he rode immediately on returning from work.

j1ffy

Visit site
I had a horse on loan who would always have an explosion once the temp dropped to single figures. It was hard to say when it would come, but I adapted by lunging him first until the explosion occurred, then we could have a productive schooling session. Perhaps yours simply feels the cold as the winter draws in and the temp drops after dark? How long have you had him?

In hindsight, with the loan horse I should have investigated more as there were other issues but I didn't know better, and as a loan horse (from a RS) it didn't feel like my place to do so.

tristar

Visit site
The only thing I can think is perhaps not giving him enough of a trot warm up. But would that be enough for that reaction?

when they are like that i do plenty of trot work and get that relaxed feeling before moving on to canter, trot bending transitions, and prove it with a stretchy walk on a long rein, then move on to canter

elliehayes92

Visit site
I had a horse on loan who would always have an explosion once the temp dropped to single figures. It was hard to say when it would come, but I adapted by lunging him first until the explosion occurred, then we could have a productive schooling session. Perhaps yours simply feels the cold as the winter draws in and the temp drops after dark? How long have you had him?

In hindsight, with the loan horse I should have investigated more as there were other issues but I didn't know better, and as a loan horse (from a RS) it didn't feel like my place to do so.

This is our third winter. First one he had an Irish clip in October and then wasn’t clipped again until January/February. Second year he was in at night all year round and I barely rode him in the evenings to be fair and didn’t do a great deal of cantering. This year he’s fully clipped (was clipped a week and a half ago) so I am guessing it’s probably just a bit of winter freshness mixed with me just asking him up to canter too quickly when warming up