Horse lethargic in summer

Bea332

Visit site
I’ve noticed a trend that my horse always gets lethargic and spooky in summer. He’s very behind the leg, not really wanting to canter. This seems to have happened the past few years and he does eventually stop but I just wondered if there’s anything I can give him or do to help? He’s not lame

I will be ringing the vet for a chat about it.

windand rain

Visit site
I found with mine it was spring grass making her fat and lazy if restricted she soon perked up. Full belly is a bit like us not wanting to run a marathon after Sunday lunch

Bea332

Visit site
Okay thank you. Our grazing isn’t good but obviously aware that even poor grazing has very sugary spring grass

Michen

Visit site
This happened to my horse a couple of years ago. I actually started feeding him alphabeet and he really picked up.

Also adding electrolytes.

Bea332

Visit site
He gets salt every day and I was told that’s fine for every day. Should I start feeding electrolytes instead?

Sprig

Visit site
I know that you said that he is not lame but if he is just a bit foot sore all round it may not be obvious day to day. Are you able to trial reducing his grass intake and see if it makes any difference?

Reactions: Kat

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I read this recently, very interesting. Admittedly I am researching everything known to man about grass and intolerance in horses, as I seem to have one who has gas colic if she just looks at grass.

☆☆Spring Grass + Performance Issues☆☆
With the weather finally improving, lush spring grass is appearing in our fields. It is important to manage this new growth closely as it can not only lead to colic and laminitis but also can cause tension and reduced performance. It is this latter issue relating to performance that we will be discussing in this article.
At this time of year a lot of the cases that I see have one thing in common…….a hind end tension. It can be displayed in many ways.
The symptoms can include:
• Lumbar muscle tension
• Stiff hind end
• Flank sensitivity
• Girthiness
• Canter issues (often left canter)
• Pushing saddle to left
• Trot to canter transition issues
• Toe dragging
• Reduced propulsion from behind
• Not “tracking up”
• Hindleg limb flight towards midline of body (medial)
• Unhappy with farrier lifting hind limbs
• Kicking out/bucking
• Overly hormonal seasons
• Tension in right side of poll
WHY IS THIS?
There are multiple factors involved in the performance issues above. Most centre around the involvement of the hind gut.
GUT ENVIRONMENT (bacteria and acid)
Horses are hind gut fermenters. They have a large hind gut that is used to break down all the fibres in their diet. The main area for this digestion is in the caecum (located on the right flank of the horse). The caecum is a 30-45 litre vat which is full of special bacteria that can digest the fibre (cellulose) in the horse’s diet and turn it into absorbable products.
The sugars in the lush grass create an acidity in the hind gut as they are digested by the bacteria. This change in acidity (lowering pH) upsets the delicate bacterial balance in the gut which can lead to bloating, upset/sensitive tummy, diarrhoea/constipation (IBS).
ORGAN-SPINE LINK
However, the issue does not stop there….importantly there is a strong neurological relationship between the spine and the organs. This neurological relationship is based on a viscero-sensoric link. The organs are supplied by nerves from certain portions of the spine. Irritation of the organs causes irritation of the related spinal cord sections which in turn leads to local muscular tension as the spinal nerves also innervate the surrounding muscles.
This relationship goes both ways. An organ issue will reduce the mobility of the section of spine linked to it but if you have reduced mobility of the spine you can have organ issues as a result. It is why people with IBS have tight backs and why people who have tight backs are more likely to have IBS.
So horses who already have back tension are far more susceptible to these changes and those with an upset gut can have tight backs…
WHY THE RIGHT HIND?
The involvement of the caecum which is located on the right flank is why there are more issues on the horse’s right hand side. It is the right hand that often has increased tension/reduced mobility and why we have the symptoms listed above.
FASCIAL TENSION
Another contributing factor is that the increased acidity (acidosis) of the hind gut causes increased contraction of the fascia. This leads to local tension and even whole body tension as it spreads. The horse feels generally tight with increased tone and reduced mobility.
This increased, often unilateral tension can put abnormal strain on certain limbs (often right hind) which can produce an unsoundness. This may present as a lameness but care should be taken as to whether that unsoundness is due to a genuine lameness on that limb or is it just a symptom of the tension due to the hindgut. It may well be that addressing the hindgut removes that unsoundness and therefore the need for veterinary investigation.
WHAT CAN BE DONE?
MANAGE THE GRASS: This may involve restricting turn out to limit the time in front of the new spring grass. Supplementing with hay is often useful.
SUPPLEMENT THE HINDGUT: Hindgut supplements can be used in conjunction with tight management of the grass. Good herbal supplements along with buffers can be given to assist the hindgut. (Hindgut buffers should not be confused with gastric/stomach supplements). I also like to give milkthistle to keep the liver tip top during the spring grass onslaught. Pro and prebiotics are helpful too.
MOBILITY: Maintaining spinal mobility is important as those horses with a tight spine are more likely to get gut issues. Mobility can be maintained through bodywork but also through correct exercises both in-hand and ridden.
TESTING: The hindgut can be monitored with faecal blood tests, checking faecal pH and also looking at the bacterial population through faecal sampling.
As ever if your horse is showing signs of performance issues it is always important to evaluate the WHOLE HORSE to ensure that all factors are considered.

https://www.facebook.com/susanne.fr...BtHslPjCRcsw_nCeGzgmIipqiarrgmM&__tn__=<<,P-R

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I read this recently, very interesting. Admittedly I am researching everything known to man about grass and intolerance in horses, as I seem to have one who has gas colic if she just looks at grass.

With the weather finally improving, lush spring grass is appearing in our fields. It is important to manage this new growth closely as it can not only lead to colic and laminitis but also can cause tension and reduced performance. It is this latter issue relating to performance that we will be discussing in this article.
At this time of year a lot of the cases that I see have one thing in common…….a hind end tension. It can be displayed in many ways.
• Lumbar muscle tension
• Stiff hind end
• Flank sensitivity
• Girthiness
• Pushing saddle to left
• Toe dragging
• Not “tracking up”
• Kicking out/bucking
WHY IS THIS?
There are multiple factors involved in the performance issues above. Most centre around the involvement of the hind gut.
Horses are hind gut fermenters. They have a large hind gut that is used to break down all the fibres in their diet. The main area for this digestion is in the caecum (located on the right flank of the horse). The caecum is a 30-45 litre vat which is full of special bacteria that can digest the fibre (cellulose) in the horse’s diet and turn it into absorbable products.
The sugars in the lush grass create an acidity in the hind gut as they are digested by the bacteria. This change in acidity (lowering pH) upsets the delicate bacterial balance in the gut which can lead to bloating, upset/sensitive tummy, diarrhoea/constipation (IBS).
ORGAN-SPINE LINK
However, the issue does not stop there….importantly there is a strong neurological relationship between the spine and the organs. This neurological relationship is based on a viscero-sensoric link. The organs are supplied by nerves from certain portions of the spine. Irritation of the organs causes irritation of the related spinal cord sections which in turn leads to local muscular tension as the spinal nerves also innervate the surrounding muscles.
This relationship goes both ways. An organ issue will reduce the mobility of the section of spine linked to it but if you have reduced mobility of the spine you can have organ issues as a result. It is why people with IBS have tight backs and why people who have tight backs are more likely to have IBS.
So horses who already have back tension are far more susceptible to these changes and those with an upset gut can have tight backs…
WHY THE RIGHT HIND?
The involvement of the caecum which is located on the right flank is why there are more issues on the horse’s right hand side. It is the right hand that often has increased tension/reduced mobility and why we have the symptoms listed above.
FASCIAL TENSION
Another contributing factor is that the increased acidity (acidosis) of the hind gut causes increased contraction of the fascia. This leads to local tension and even whole body tension as it spreads. The horse feels generally tight with increased tone and reduced mobility.
This increased, often unilateral tension can put abnormal strain on certain limbs (often right hind) which can produce an unsoundness. This may present as a lameness but care should be taken as to whether that unsoundness is due to a genuine lameness on that limb or is it just a symptom of the tension due to the hindgut. It may well be that addressing the hindgut removes that unsoundness and therefore the need for veterinary investigation.
WHAT CAN BE DONE?
MANAGE THE GRASS: This may involve restricting turn out to limit the time in front of the new spring grass. Supplementing with hay is often useful.
SUPPLEMENT THE HINDGUT: Hindgut supplements can be used in conjunction with tight management of the grass. Good herbal supplements along with buffers can be given to assist the hindgut. (Hindgut buffers should not be confused with gastric/stomach supplements). I also like to give milkthistle to keep the liver tip top during the spring grass onslaught. Pro and prebiotics are helpful too.
MOBILITY: Maintaining spinal mobility is important as those horses with a tight spine are more likely to get gut issues. Mobility can be maintained through bodywork but also through correct exercises both in-hand and ridden.
TESTING: The hindgut can be monitored with faecal blood tests, checking faecal pH and also looking at the bacterial population through faecal sampling.
As ever if your horse is showing signs of performance issues it is always important to evaluate the WHOLE HORSE to ensure that all factors are considered.

Yes its fascinating really & why horses are so frigging complicated to work out!
Like looking for a needle in a haystack & such a steep learning curve with everything!
Its why so many people now turn to Tom Beech & the like - bit like our doctors really who mostly treat the symptoms not the causes.
Having had a horse with glandular ulcers, hind gut ulcers, right hind malfunction, Im aware of this link.
Ours are all on strict diets currently given both the downpours & the hay shortage

Thanks for posting that very informative write up.

https://www.facebook.com/susanne.frank.790?__cft__[0]=AZXxEvSL-5dD_RyK8uB2AhsZJI3c7b6qqUkhMPThHa-8bGuCf7E1bAtDao4Rm-vi-A4cihvU478lY_V7pYOIgnddkVYzuBAbs_WbBtHslPjCRcsw_nCeGzgmIipqiarrgmM&__tn__=<<,P-R

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Sorry to hijack but Dolly is lethargic and trumping for England having been flying 3 weeks ago. She is noticeably fatter too. This happens every year in Spring and October. Can anyone recommend a hind gut supplement as the article AA makes perfect sense.

ihatework

Visit site
This pattern could be one, or more, of a number of things.

Generally fat & unfit, impacted more by milder weather

Allergies to various pollens, sometimes not obvious but can make them lethargic/exercise intolerant

Low grade laminitis - don’t appear lame as it’s mild and affects all feet

Plus other gut issues related to grass flush as discussed above.

Personally I think far more horses get LGL than we realise

Birker2020

Visit site
I’ve noticed a trend that my horse always gets lethargic and spooky in summer. He’s very behind the leg, not really wanting to canter. This seems to have happened the past few years and he does eventually stop but I just wondered if there’s anything I can give him or do to help? He’s not lame

I will be ringing the vet for a chat about it.
If you are riding in a menage could it be that it is riding very deep in the Summer? This might be why he is reluctant to canter and appears lethargic because he finds the surface such hard going, like us trying to run in deep sand.

paddy555

Visit site
Sorry to hijack but Dolly is lethargic and trumping for England having been flying 3 weeks ago. She is noticeably fatter too. This happens every year in Spring and October. Can anyone recommend a hind gut supplement as the article AA makes perfect sense.

I haven't had the chance to read AA's excellent article yet but leaving that aside just on the point of a hind gut supplement then I use equishure. Not cheap but I think you probably get what you pay for and equishure is one that could be worth it.

AdorableAlice

Visit site

When mine went into horsepital x 3 last year. Yes you read that right x 3 ! fondly known as the repeat offender by the lovely staff. Not what I called her given the level of stress and cost !. She was put on Equine 74 and remains on it now.

She had another gas episode 3 weeks ago after just one hour morning and evening grazing which resulted in the poor vet being called again. I now have added Pro Equine Colikare to her feed. 10 ml morning and evening with great success, lots of trumping and no bloated tum. However, she is not turned out at present. She is being looked at on Thursday and a plan will be made to get her out for short periods again. This time I plan to feed a small haynet before any access to grass.

I seem to have a horse that suddenly cannot tolerate grass after 8 years of being turned out for 12 hours a day in summer overnight and 8 hours in winter during the day. Why ! just why ! She has had every test known to man, cost a fortune and scared the bejesus out of me.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
Max Gut Health is meant to be good for hind gut balance.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
She is arelady on Protexin as she is on Pink Mash which is advertised as 'Heaven for the hindgut!' I don't want to double up on stuff.
I am wondering about allergies too. She is really puffing and sounds a bit raspy in work though she is fit as a flea. Storming round BE90 tracks comfortably and in the time. I am blaming the yard hay and I'm switching to haylage but pollen could also be a factor. How would I know? And what can I do about it?

GoldenWillow

Visit site
AE with J his pollen allergy presented in a loss of performance type issue, just not as forward as usual and a feeling of running out of petrol, then progressing to increase in resps during faster work. He had two trach washes which came back clear then had a BAL which showed inflammation.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
AE if you're thinking it's possible she's showing designs of an allergy you've done the first thing I would do and have changed her from hay to haylage. I would then get her either scoped or a BAL, from previous experience with trach washes showing clear I would probably go for a BAL but your vet will advise. You will then have an answer as you can spend a fortune on supplements, some of which may help, many of which will not. Also I thought J was having a bad flare up when he started being less forward one summer which is his first sign, it turned out he wasn't happy with his saddle!

He is managed with a flexineb, I've a pic on another thread, as we started it today.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
There is no sneezing, eye dischrage, head shaking, coughing though. Just that running out of petrol feeling and slightly laboured breathing when worked hard. Though she actually gets better as the session progresses. I wondered if it was linked to having a bellyful of sugary grass which seems to weigh her down rather than energising her. She was restricted anyway but can hoover up a lot of grass in a short space of time so she is muzzled now and I'll see how that goes. I also wondered about coat change sapping her energy as it is October as well as April that she has a sudden dip in form. It never lasts long though. The first time it happened we ran bloods which were all fine. Since then we have just not worried about it but she is competing in an U18 qualifer and then at the BE90 Area Festival in a few weeks and needs to be on top form for those ideally.

Sorry OP. Off topic. I'll start a new thread if she does not perk up very soon to get more ideas!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

• Lumbar muscle tension
• Stiff hind end
• Flank sensitivity
• Girthiness
• Pushing saddle to left
• Toe dragging
• Not “tracking up”
• Kicking out/bucking
WHY IS THIS?
ORGAN-SPINE LINK
WHY THE RIGHT HIND?
FASCIAL TENSION
WHAT CAN BE DONE?

https://www.facebook.com/susanne.frank.790?__cft__[0]=AZXxEvSL-5dD_RyK8uB2AhsZJI3c7b6qqUkhMPThHa-8bGuCf7E1bAtDao4Rm-vi-A4cihvU478lY_V7pYOIgnddkVYzuBAbs_WbBtHslPjCRcsw_nCeGzgmIipqiarrgmM&__tn__=<<,P-R

This is a brilliant piece, thanks for posting it.

It brings to mind many horses I've come across that seemed "a bit not quite right in the right hind" in spring over the years.

I hope you get some answers for your mare AA.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
When mine went into horsepital x 3 last year. Yes you read that right x 3 ! fondly known as the repeat offender by the lovely staff. Not what I called her given the level of stress and cost !. She was put on Equine 74 and remains on it now.

She had another gas episode 3 weeks ago after just one hour morning and evening grazing which resulted in the poor vet being called again. I now have added Pro Equine Colikare to her feed. 10 ml morning and evening with great success, lots of trumping and no bloated tum. However, she is not turned out at present. She is being looked at on Thursday and a plan will be made to get her out for short periods again. This time I plan to feed a small haynet before any access to grass.

I seem to have a horse that suddenly cannot tolerate grass after 8 years of being turned out for 12 hours a day in summer overnight and 8 hours in winter during the day. Why ! just why ! She has had every test known to man, cost a fortune and scared the bejesus out of me.
ask your vet if they know of any microbiome studies, it is possible that she has an overgrowth of a slightly unfriendly bacteria, when this is given more than minimal access to grass, has a the effects you are seeing in her. did she have any antibiotic courses before this started?

https://www.succeed-vet.com/equine-... profound,colic and other clinical situations.