Horse 'Licence'

How much to you like chocolate?

• Total voters

JessMannion

Visit site
Thats odd i was just thinking about that today...
smile.gif
I on one hand think we should because it would stop non horsey people who do harm to good horses. But then its a bit OTT and gets a bit dodgey on government control and all that o and also i bet people'd have to pay in some form.

Tinypony

Visit site
Ditto. Another way to screw money out of the honest horse owners, no doubt policed by the RSPCA and the BHS... while the people who would neglect and ill treat horses would no doubt ignore it.
(How to be politically correct, I am of course referring to certain parts of the travelling community, who don't have passports for their horses now, who deal without being registerd as dealers, who build on land without having planning permission...).

yam

New User
Visit site
i have delt with travlers quite a bit over the years and i have to say in there defence most of them have got there horses passported, i can also say that the majoraty of people on our livery yard have not got there horses passported. BUT there is good and bad in all walks of life and being licenced to own a horse would not work because, the likes of J.G. would not be licenced,

dieseldog

Visit site
Bad, I might fail and have to sell my horse
frown.gif

ETS: If I did fail I would just reg her in someone elses name - just like everyone else would.

K9Wendy

Visit site
Why? You don't need a licence to have children, which in the grand scheme of things is a lot more important.

Even with a licence there is no guarantee of expert ownership, it's just one of those things!

Hersom

Visit site
Good idea in theory but so was the horse passport. The bad guys would evade it/ignore it/sell certificates and the rest would pay through the nose. Why only horses when one could also cover cats, dogs, gerbils and goldfish through a raft of regulatory bodies and fee-charging bandits.

popp

Visit site
in some cases yes as in a post i posted today about feed and girl still says ok with one lot of hay at night

NeilM

Visit site
A scheme of this sort would not have to be administered by Central Govt.

If you want to scuba dive, you need qualifications, and if you don't have them, you cannot buy or hire gear. This is a scheme run by PADI, not the Govt. Same with sky diving, same with archery, you have to have passed a certain level of competence before you are allowed to fully participate and all these schemes are administered by non-governmental bodies. I am sure there are plenty of other examples.

cellie

Visit site
In some ways its a good idea to protect our horses but the bad owners always find ways of evasion.Dont you think we are turning into a nannie state if thats the right terminoligy.The goverment is taking away any choices we make this would be just another example of freedom of choice.

the watcher

Visit site
'prove you are proficient at riding and can care for the animal? Kind of like a driving licence?'

Do they all have to be ridden then? Does one need to ride to any particular standard to breed, to care for retired horses, to keep children's ponies?

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I posted something similar a while back, was slated and received several pms telling me I was an idiot
smile.gif

I think in theory its a great idea but sadly in practise it would never work.

WFL

Visit site
No system, however well intentioned, works when administered by government. They always end up punishing the innocent and law abiding, whilst the people that it is targetted at just ignore it.

Last time I checked, murder, robbing banks, etc. are illegal, yet when I watched the news earlier tonight, they still appear to be going on...

jumpthemoon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I posted something similar a while back, was slated and received several pms telling me I was an idiot
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a shame - I remember your post - you were only trying to think of a way to stop horses from suffering - I don't see a need for nasty pms
confused.gif

I think in principle it's a good idea, but where would you draw the line? Why just horses? Surely dogs/cats/hamsters can all suffer through neglect as well? It's the same as anything else - the law only applies to the law abiding
frown.gif
You'd never be able to police it.

pocket

Visit site
How odd, I was talking to my instructor today about the same thing! I think that people should do some sort of course before having a horse and also be means tested....

In my area there are alot of numpties that should not be allowed to breed let alone keep a horse......

Cop-Pop

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a shame - I remember your post - you were only trying to think of a way to stop horses from suffering - I don't see a need for nasty pms
confused.gif

I think in principle it's a good idea, but where would you draw the line? Why just horses? Surely dogs/cats/hamsters can all suffer through neglect as well? It's the same as anything else - the law only applies to the law abiding
frown.gif
You'd never be able to police it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think dog licences are a good idea (in theory). For me one of the things about owning horses is that they can be a dangerous animal and if handled wrongly can end up seriously hurting/killing someone. UR right tho, there is no way to police anything like it.

LCobby

Visit site
We have very strict gun licencing laws and many types of firearm are banned,
We have a fair amount of gun crime

Horse keeping licence would be no different.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
It may not be exactly the same thing, but any road user other than pedestrians should have to prove a level of competence, including cyclists and have to have 3rd party insurance IMO.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Costly to implement, unworkable & unenforcible. Additionally who would police it? Police....unlikely, ILPH......got enough to do, RSPCA......same as ILPH, Trading Standards/Council.... hardly have enough resourses to do their normal jobs let alone this, Defra...... they can't seem to control anything let alone this. In short it would be a money gathering exercise for the government & would achieve nothing as it would not be monitored. Government has sufficient unenforcible legislation all ready without having more.
frown.gif
crazy.gif

Onyxia

Visit site
Good idear but wouldnt work in real world.
Would again end up with the good honest owners handing over more cash while the ones it should be protecting horses from would fall through the gaps.

Stephl07

Visit site
You would become better at riding and caring for the animal by helping in a riding school etc. which is what I did for 5 years before I got my first pony!!

It was just something I was thinking about as I know someone with 40 horses stuffed in a field with hardly any food and no farrier attention etc, ILPH will not do anything about it either!

There are also some people on my yard who have their own horses, cannot tack up, tie the horses up to the metal bars (sometimes by their reins) and it made me wonder if having to have a certificate to say you were ok to own a horse would work (Which I also doubt it would in the real world but in a perfect world it would be great, but then i suppose there would be no need for them!)

I dont see the need for the nasty PM's other people got, its just about throwing ideas in the pot and seeing what other people think about them!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
If this kind of thinking is applicable to horses then surely it should cover all animals that are capable of suffering? Dog licences and passports and whatnot.

The problem is that you can cause cruelty by ignorance, which of course is just as bad as cruelty by deliberate mistreatment, but if you honestly don't know what you're doing wrong then it's hard to correct. For example, how many of you have or had a goldfish in a bowl? The average person on the street has no idea what the nitrogen cycle is, how it works in relation to home aquaria, how the process of cycling can kill and maim fish and that goldfish grow to over a foot in length, yet mention the word 'goldfish' and most will go 'oooh, yeah, the kiddies have one in a bowl'.

I think optional courses in horse care and management would be beneficial. They would have to be cheap and easily accessible, which is always a problem, but far preferable to any kind of licence. As I said above I think a lot of 'cruelty' is just misinformation, and with education that can be dealt with and leave people free to deal with the real deliberate cruelty cases.

DiablosGold

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I dont see the need for the nasty PM's other people got, its just about throwing ideas in the pot and seeing what other people think about them!

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't send any PMs nasty or otherwise
confused.gif