Horse lifting/shaking hind legs

Tkay232

New User
Visit site
My horse has had this problem with his hinds on and off for a few months now. It seemed to get worse today after the farrier came out. He is very stiff when lifting his hind legs. He will stand and switch back and forth from left hind to right hind picking up and shaking his leg. He does not seem lame when riding around and can back up. Anyone seen this before? He seems uncomfortable and I want to help him.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Yes, have seen this in one of ours which turned out to be hock spavin. I would get your vet to have a look.
Hind limb issues can be difficult to detect,especially in early stages.

Tkay232

New User
Visit site
Thank you for all the responses. He is seven.. he is in a smaller pen but gets turned out a lot. He has front shoes and gets done every six weeks. Good hooves. I have not talked to a vet since it’s fairly new and seemed to go away, but yesterday he seemed much more uncomfortable. He was started as a western pleasure horse, so I was thinking maybe hocks or stifles. He was just started as that though.. never went on to show or was ever finished as a pleasure horse. I have been just doing trail riding and some low key riding around the arena. He is also a solid paint.