Horse loads fine but won't swing bum

nbn

Visit site
My horse is generally pretty good to get in the box, she travels well. But getting her to turn her bum herringbone to put partitions across is really challenging! It's like she can't work it out and then when she does her bum touches the partition and she tries to come back out. We've done lots of practicing by turning then getting her to stand facing out with treats and lots of fuss to stop her rushing back out but I need her to turn a bit but not all the way of course.
My lorry is really bright, masses of space and no tack lockers etc. Once she's shut in she's calm, it's literally just the manoeuvring her!
She's OK at moving away on the ground.
Any advice gratefully received!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Do you give her enough room to turn?
I remember moving a friend's 17hh ID, who would NOT load onto a trailer, in our 7.5 box. Friend was understandably a bit anxious about the loading and didn't present the mare well. She had to get off and start again. This time, she led her across the ramp to the far (right) side and from there turned her to put her head in the correct position on the left. In this way, her bum followed naturally (and she was long-backed), without having to move over.

nbn

Visit site
Do you give her enough room to turn?
I remember moving a friend's 17hh ID, who would NOT load onto a trailer, in our 7.5 box. Friend was understandably a bit anxious about the loading and didn't present the mare well. She had to get off and start again. This time, she led her across the ramp to the far (right) side and from there turned her to put her head in the correct position on the left. In this way, her bum followed naturally (and she was long-backed), without having to move over.
Yes I always (try at least) to load on the right side but she's got quite a big bum! She's only 14.2 but in a 6'6 rug

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
She needs to be hugging the right side wall and turning so that her head ends up in the right place with her bum following her head. She shouldn't need to move her bum sideways.

Reactions: nbn

claracanter

Visit site
I have recently bought a 6yr and am having the same issue getting him into my equitrek. He doesn’t understand that he has to turn so just stands with his front feet in the box . The method that works best is to turn his head as he is walking up the ramp and then he can shuffle across. Timing the head turn is the key to this.

I have always spent a bit of time practicing getting him to turn into position on the yard

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Have you tried the same in a stable?
I know you say ground work is in place, but there is a gap as she won't move over.
Walk in stable and ask horse to move over to the wall. Use the word over, plenty of praise when she does turn her head to you and move her hind over. Use other walls and fences to go up to as well, ask her to turn so she is moving her hind away from you to the wall gate or fence.
Once you have established this well (each and every time asked), then revert to horsebox again.
Worth trying as this ought to help.

Reactions: nbn

nbn

Visit site
Just had a thought! Which side do you lead from? She will find it easier if you are on her left.
Always the left. Weirdly in my old box which was much smaller she struggled but would then turn a full 270o clockwise to end up facing to the left ! She is very flexible both ways in general though