Horse lost weight for the 2nd Spring in a row.....

MadisonBelle

Visit site
Hi all, so I've had this horse for 8 years and and she has always been a lean mare.....

Story is last spring she lost a lot of weight despite nothing changing feed or management wise. Her coat also started changing in patches which had never happend previously so I got her bloods tested. Nothing showed up and it took over 2 months to get the weight back on her.

Que this year and the same thing has happened!!! Does anyone have any idea's?

The 1st year this happened she was stabled but now she lives out.

Teeth done every 6 months, saddle checked every 6 months and she see's the physio roughly every 8 week.....

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Is she dewormed regularly? Is she fed according to work done, is it appropriate for her nutrional needs? Could she be deficient in essential nutrients because her feed isn't suitable for the type of work she does? Is she being bullied in the field? Does she have access to plenty of forage? Could she have ulcers? Could she have some kind of low grade pain such as arthritis which means that she is not able to graze comfortably i.e. if its arthritis in her neck for example? These are the questions I would be asking myself if she were mine.

Last edited:

MadisonBelle

Visit site
Yep wormed regular, has plenty of feed, lots of hay all winter looked great up to end of March so coped with all the snow etc without dropping weight...... Has no problem grazing and seems to be really enjoying life.

It's completely got me dumbfounded that it's happened again at the same time of year which is spring/coat change.....

JillA

Visit site
I would say you have probably had a false negative and she has Cushings - all the symptoms fit. Was in an ACTH blood test you had done? They are notoriously unreliable and there is an "off season in autumn and winter when the levels are low anyway. I would either ask for another test or a Prascend trial (but be aware of the "veil", temporary loss of appetite to begin with - just start with a tiny dose and build from there)