HORSE MARKETS, SHOULD THEY BE ALLOWED???

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
My "friends" are trying to get me to go to a market with them to find a horse. They have been working with horses for a long time and have purchased some but they also got another friend to go, and she purchased a horse, but now she isnt happy with it.

She thought it was bigger than it is, also there is a huge bump above the horses hoof, and its hard, like its an old injury that didnt heal right.

She paid £500 for the horse and was told its broke it, now the horse can be sat on, but it needs schooled badly (only 3). Shes now talking about taking it back to the market to resell it as she is worried that this bump (which she didnt notice before she bid) might be more serious. Although the horse is sound.

What type of people go to these markets, were you cant ride the horse etc before purchasing!!! Ive no sympathy for her, just the horse who will probably end up going from pillar to post!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
At Leominster market you can try them before they go through the ring, no idea about other places.
If the horse is only 3yo of course its going to need schooling, it should really only be just broken at the moment.
If she wasnt able to pick up the lump, which is probably a superficial field injury, and cant tell the height of a horse(which may yet grow) she really shouldnt be buying from sales.
I wouldnt go with her, you will be blamed for all of her mistakes. Tell the woman to grow a brain.

Honeybee

photobucket.com
Don’t know if I would buy from a market, who knows what you will end up with!!
confused.gif

A lot of horse markets over with me our very like cattle markets, get them in sold and out, although there always so busy...
blush.gif

Ps just looked you’re from N.I as well, I’m just out side Ballyclarex

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Also all auctions done properly offer vettings on site. You are asked after you have bid if you want it vetted. You get what you pay for is another thing that springs to mind!

K9Wendy

Visit site
When I was 14 my very experienced friend bought me a 3/4 Arab from a sale, Banbridge sales, now closed. She was the most wonderful mare ever. However the guy who I sent along to buy her was nearly 70yrs old and what he didn't know about horses wasn't worth knowing, plus we knew she was coming up for sale through some friends who knew her owner so not a blind sale if you know what I mean. She was 3yrs old, unbroken and cost £200 (gives you some idea of my age).

Sales are for the VERY experienced, and if you don't want your heart broken don't go to one. If your friend wasn't prepared to school & educate a young horse, she should not have bought a 3yr old, even if it was broken it won't have had much schooling!

Markets are for different people, experienced professionals, the meat man, and stupid people who they they will get a bargain!!

Edited to say markets, not genuine well run sales

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
Okay the full story is that 2 people that have done their BHS exams etc, have set up livery yard, a friend of mine goes and rides their own horses, and got it into her head that she should buy a horse, as the 2 people at the yard buy and sell at the market.

I personally havent seen the horse, and have no plans to go to this mickey mouse livery yard that is full of youngsters and ill mannered TBs. She now says that 14.2hh is too small for her, and that she is waiting to see what the farrier says on friday about the horses leg before she makes a decision.

For those in NI the market was in Swatragh, ive never been there and to me it doesnt sound like a very good market to go to!

To can view the horse before bidding, dont know if she did, but dont think she did as she said she fell in love with it when it walked into the ring.

She says the horse is quiet enough when its being rode, but its got now shoes on yet! This girl has never owned a horse in her life, and these "experts" told her the bump is nothing to worry about. However these are the ones that put two pregnant mares in the same stable!!!!!!

K9Wendy

Visit site
Swatragh market, just about says it all.. Horse probably was only fit for meat!! No self repecting horse owner will use a cattle market to sell decent horses.. Stay well clear!!

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
The two mares are arabians X, and they fight the bit out! They tried to sell one to me lol.

Never been to swatragh market before but heard it was a dirty hole. I know they they also bought a couple of crossbred puppies for £70 each lol.

Have seen pictures of this horse and was told when someone mounts it, that its ears go straight back.

The two owners of the livery yard are muppets. They are pushing me into buying a horse, told me that if i purchased a young cob they could have it broke in, in 2 hours!!!!

K9Wendy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
is this the "southall" of northern ireland, K9W?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know Southall, but lets just say it wouldn't be nice place, and I wouldn't want to ask for my money back!!!

Have just googled Southall, you're not far off the mark!!

Lill

Visit site
Thought i'd add my 2 cents... we bought my horse from some pikey woman at market for £800 (without even seeing him ridden) as a "4yo who will jump yay high and do this that and the other" he was actually 3yo who would do nothing but trot but 3 years down the line he is doing great and we consider him a bargain! But then we knew not to expect much and also to not believe what you're told by the seller as it is most likely (sorry generalising here) a bunch of lies!

If you're experienced and know what to look for i think sometimes you will be able to pick a good sort if not then don't buy anything!!
smile.gif

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
K9Wendy have you been to Swatragh then? Im in Coleraine and have never been to the swatragh market in my life.

I was told that there was a lot of heavy cobs last friday night (looking for a nice cob) but i have riding lessons on a friday night and even if I didnt, I wouldnt go.

They did ring me asking if I wanted one, that they would buy one for me, train it up and sell on to me lol.

I maybe dont know much about horses, but I do know that a inexperienced horse person shouldnt buy a young horse.

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
Lis I would just be worried that the horse would have been drugged, making it appear calm and placid, then when back at the yard, when its wore off, I could cause myself a nasty injury!!

I am sure there are some lovely markets out there, but this obviously isnt one of them.

Cause im looking for my first horse, im looking to get one via private sale, and if possible a couple of weeks loan.

Have already picked a BHS approved livery yard (no not the two muppets lol)

Parkranger

Visit site
I would personally never buy from an auction but then my boy came from an auction in Ireland before I brought them so there is some good that come out of them.

Lill

Visit site
Yer that always is a risk, there were a few there that were obviously drugged up !!

Are these 'two muppets' bsja approved? How have they got their own yard with liveries??!

K9Wendy

Visit site
Seen it loads on the news, lots of illegal movement of animals during the foot & mouth outbreak, including infected animals. Like a few markets, reputation! I think I am a good bit older than you, and have been to a lot of markets, horse fairs in my life. I just think staying away from this one might be a good idea!

On the cob route, I would still ask at a few riding schools, a good cob, worth it's weight in gold! These people are very desperate to sell you a cob, basically dealers. Farm week is full of horses every week, however if you only mastering your rising trot at the minute, save your money, enjoy your lessons and think of the future, next year is time enough.

Tell these unsavoury people you don't want a horse right now..

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
Now they arent approved as yet, they are offering cheap livery so of course there are some out there that would rather save a few pound than make sure their horse is in a good yard.

I pay £15 for a private lesson, they have offered to put me on a 7 year old irish draught mare and do lessons for £10.

Im happy were I am.

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
Lis im more than happy as no amount of money could be placed on the confidence that my instructor has been giving me - she is a gem!!!

She has me so relaxed, this other guy had taught me before but i got so scared that I gave up, I just couldnt stop shaking when in the saddle. When I trotted, i was bouncing all over the show!

K9Wendy

Visit site
We caravan a lot, during the summer we stopped by with some non-horsey friends whose kids wanted to trek. The instructor was English and she was lovely, horses all looked in good order and there were some lovely cobs.

I can't remember the names of the horses, lucky i remember my friend's kids names LOL.. Think one might have been a Jack, or Bob or something along those lines, about 15hh and mostly white. Instructor rode out bareback with them as they had no saddle to fit cob it was so big LOL.. She had her own cob with her a big bay, again don't remember the name! Do they still operate over winter?

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
[ QUOTE ]
so...she bought a lemon...and shes concidering putting her ill conceived purchace back through the sales...presumably for some other idiot to buy????

very responsible!!!

caveat emptor.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what I was thinking
crazy.gif

The mind boggles!

kat
xx

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
Jack is the horse that is in my signature!!! Hes my baby, he couldnt have a saddle on cause he had girth galls, as he goes to the RDA during the winter and they put so much weight on him. Im hoping to buy him in a few years as the owners are getting sick of the fact they can rarely use him, however a good diet and plenty of exercise will help him loads!

The girl you are talking about is claire, breezer is her horse, he actually belongs to the farm but she loans him during the winter as they are closed then.

Jack is just my baby, he follows me with his head to my back and is as good as gold!! Although he can be a bit silly at times, but love him for that!!!

sojeph

Visit site
If you know what to look for they're ok, if not avoid at all costs. My friend goes to Southall every Wednesday. In all the time I've known him he's only had two duffers but then he generally buys youngster (3yr olds). Although my mare came from there aged 5.