HORSE MARKETS, SHOULD THEY BE ALLOWED???

tarzipan06

Visit site
I have visited Southall on two occassions both with extremely experienced horsey people.
I have nearly been very tempted, however I would not touch the tack with a barge pole, and infact thinking back there were no RSCPCA inspectors or vets (to my knowledge) present to check conditions, or if the horses were microchipped.
It is not the fainthearted - I have heard of people buying cracking ponies - although I think you really have to look very carefully. I found the experience quite upsetting and couldn't help thinking how some of the poor animals ended up there. Saying that I bought my fab JR dog from there but again I was a little naive when people start telling me that certain fractions of the community nick litters of pups to sell there.

PiebaldHorse

Visit site
I would prefer just to buy private, would pay that bit more but then you would know better what you are getting.

Cause it would be my first horse, I would like to get a couple of weeks loan, however as some have said, you would be weary about letting a horse on loan to a first time owner!

Ive never been to swatragh market, but heard loads of horrible tales about it. To be honest that I was appalled that two people who have worked around horses so long, would even think about setting foot into the place, and then recommend a 3 year old to beginner!!!!!!!!

sojeph

Visit site
I bought one of my JRT's from there too.
crazy.gif

As for the horses, I agree theres some sorry sights - like mares about to drop or foals that just wanna lie down but the times I've been there's always an RSPCA inspector there although I think they're pretty powerless unless its blatent cruelty. Alot of the guys that buy and sell there have been doing so for many years and its just what they do. They don't sell there cos its dodgy but because its where they go to sell. (Not syaing there aren't any dodgy ones there tho!!!)

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
buying horses from markets u need to go in with ur eyes wide open!!! some of our horses that come into our yard are from markets BUT correctly broken schooled and handled they turn into fantastic horses but in the wrong hands can turn in2 monsters alot of horses we buy are fantastic the 1st time we ride them usually because the sedative hasnt warn off yet but the second time is usually a very different story

tarzipan06

Visit site
Maybe our JRs are related
confused.gif

Devon is a long way to travel, mind you some of the people had come from Wales.
The thing that made me laugh was these 2 characters had bought a load of tatt - old lawnmowers, lampshades, pottery etc from the auctioneer in the morning - then set up a stall and were selling the same stuff at a profit in the afternoon genius
grin.gif
Del Boy Trotter eat your heart out
smirk.gif

sojeph

Visit site
Ha, ha - yeah theres alot of Delboys there.

My friend lives in Surrey and I used to. Bit of along way to go from Devon!!LOL!!

Our Jacks probably are related somewhere down the line!!! Felt bad buying him from there and got told of by my vet when I took him to be checked over but he was being carried around by some Irish lads being prodded and poked by men enquiring about him and was so bloated with worms, that I just went and bought him off them
crazy.gif