Horse Names

goussberry

Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm just about to buy a chestnut mare, she's currently called Laine (pronounced laney), but I'm not super keen on the name. Any suggestions or names which jump out at you based on the pics? (Please no "self-fulfilling" names, like Orange, Pumpkin, Ginger etc) :)

Thanks in advance!:) Hopefully the following links work

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157275152900085&set=pcb.10157275153115085&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157275152800085&set=pcb.10157275153115085&type=3&theater

Last edited:

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Ailsa
Fenella
Roxanne
Cordelia
Rowena
Hazel
Morgana
Hedwig
Bryony
........I could go on.....

rachk89

Visit site
What's her registered name? When I bought my boy I hated his original name. Looked at his registered one and renamed him from that.

goussberry

Visit site
What's her registered name? When I bought my boy I hated his original name. Looked at his registered one and renamed him from that.

Her registered name is By Lane Rose. That's where they got Laine from, and I was toying with Rosie/Rose, but it's so over-used already.

goussberry

Visit site
Lévrier;13321331 said:
I must admit I quite like Laine... sorry.....

Haha! Nothing to be sorry for :) the more I struggle to come up with a name that I think suits her looks/her personality, the more Laine grows on me :p I was also toying with Lady/Lola

Bav

Visit site
I like Rose....although biased as I named my daughter that xD

Literally no idea why but Piper popped into my head when I saw her photo.

lewis2015

Visit site
I think you'll get used to her name! It is nice. Unfortunately for me, I stupidly subscribe to the, 'bad luck to change a horse's name' superstition so I was stuck with 'Lewis' when I bought my gelding. I hated it at first, but it's grown on me and now it just seems to suit him :)

Having said that, I've always liked the names Lyric, Rosetti (after the poet), Astrid, Anthem, Rosa and Roamer :)

goussberry

Visit site
I think you'll get used to her name! It is nice. Unfortunately for me, I stupidly subscribe to the, 'bad luck to change a horse's name' superstition so I was stuck with 'Lewis' when I bought my gelding. I hated it at first, but it's grown on me and now it just seems to suit him :)

Having said that, I've always liked the names Lyric, Rosetti (after the poet), Astrid, Anthem, Rosa and Roamer :)

Oh really? I've not heard about that superstition! I'm usually too unoriginal to change names :)

Lewis is a lovely name for a horse! Very Royal :p

Thank you for the options tho! :)

goussberry

Visit site
Thanks all! Laine has proved surprisingly popular :) :p it is unique I'll give it that :) it will be between Laine and Rosie - I'll check see if my yard already has a Rosie and if it does then I'll stick with Laine

goussberry

Visit site
Thanks all! Laine has proved surprisingly popular :) :p it is unique I'll give it that :) it will be between Laine and Rosie - I'll check see if my yard already has a Rosie and if it does then I'll stick with Laine :)

rachk89

Visit site

I thought it was just if you changed a horses registered name? I don't believe in either but I know people who believe you shouldn't change a horses registered name or its bad luck.

Shoei

Visit site
If it helps my horse is called Chester which I'm not keen on but he gets called pops all the time. No idea why it just started as Chester pops and then pops just stuck!