Horse needs sedating to be shod - would you go and try/buy?

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I've seen a lovely horse advertised nearby which sounds perfect except that it needs to be sedated (Dormosedan gel) to be shod. Apart from £35 being added on to each shoeing which could be mightily expensive if you get through shoes a lot hunting in the winter, would this put you off? I'm not sure my farrier would be that keen.

It is putting me off going to see it because it just sounds a bit odd. The current owner has had horse for 4 years I think and I have only heard good things about it but I have never come across a horse that needs sedating to be shod.

Any thoughts from anyone?

TGM

Visit site
We bought one, but hubby is a farrier. And he no longer needs sedation to be shod (or to be clipped)! But in normal circumstances it would be difficult as many farriers don't like shoeing sedated horses in case they suddenly snap out of sedation. Also you have the additional cost every month. You might find that with a sympathetic farrier he might not always need sedation, but that is a bit of a gamble. You also have the option of taking the shoes off, but if it is a horse than you want to put into full work straightaway, then that might not be possible if he is a bit sore to start with. Has the horse got shoes on at the moment?

Last edited:

Arizahn

Visit site
Wouldn't bother me, but I am one of those barefoot types! :D

Any idea on whether it is really the horse that is the issue or perhaps the handler and/or the current farrier? Also can you pick up and clean out its hooves without sedating? That would make a difference, iyswim. It's very disconcerting when a horse tries to throw itself down on top of you as you pick up its hoof...

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I'd ask why it needs to be sedated. I had a horse that needed to be sedated to be shod behind because of a hock problem causing pain.

If your farrier is ok with the idea and you are comfortable that the issue is just behavioural then I think it would be worth a look, personally.

HeresHoping

Visit site
I'd ask why it needs to be sedated. I had a horse that needed to be sedated to be shod behind because of a hock problem causing pain.

If your farrier is ok with the idea and you are comfortable that the issue is just behavioural then I think it would be worth a look, personally.

This. Only mine was suffering from an unidentified previous fracture to the ilial shaft and torn SI ligaments. I was told it was because a farrier had beaten him.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I would take him only with a good vet 5* vetting and I would remove shoes, why stress him? also get X-rays done.
I would speak to farrier, if bad all feet, it might be behavioural/stress if only one or f/b it might be "structural"
If at almost any stage vendor is being obstructive, walk away.

Last edited:

amandap

Visit site
Unless you are prepared to look at why the horse dislikes shoeing and take appropriate action I wouldn't bother. I don't believe just carrying on sedating is fair.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I've seen a lovely horse advertised nearby which sounds perfect except that it needs to be sedated (Dormosedan gel) to be shod. Apart from £35 being added on to each shoeing which could be mightily expensive if you get through shoes a lot hunting in the winter, would this put you off? I'm not sure my farrier would be that keen.

It is putting me off going to see it because it just sounds a bit odd. The current owner has had horse for 4 years I think and I have only heard good things about it but I have never come across a horse that needs sedating to be shod.

Any thoughts from anyone?
I was asked to ride a 13.1 Highland who need sedation to be shod, I had to enroll Ferrie Snr [ Ferrie jnr refused as pony was, quote "loopy"], Snr was a man who had never ever been beat, but I called a halt as one of us was going to end up in hospital, probably me.
I was younger then, and I was able to ride the pony but not in the BHS way [I was told off at R.C training camp for my unorthodox style, so I rode their way, 2 mins later he carried me over a 5 bar gate] He was neither dangerous [as long as you could stay on board], nor loopy[all his actions were well considered], in the right hands would have been pony of a lifetime. Just not normal pony.
Of course he did not need shoes, he just had extreme opinions. He would have been a fantastic performer, if only he had not been ruined at some stage in his life.
I offered to take him on. Owner wanted to sell him as a childs riding pony, I walked away.
Even Ferrie Snr did not suggest barefoot.

Last edited:

armchair_rider

Visit site
As it's local and he sounds good otherwise i'd go for a look. If I liked him after viewing i'd then look into causes for the problem and how likely it is to be fixable. I'd also look for other issues with the horse's mindset. I certainly wouldn't buy unless I was confident that the problem was confined to being shod, that it could be managed/solved and that my farrier would be happy dealing with the horse. Maybe you should ask your farrier anyway if the horse is local enough that he may have come across it or know of it by reputation.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I had one that had to be sedated for the farrier- at his request!
The first few times the vet did it and I knew we couldn't go on like that so tried Sedalin. Gradually I was able to wean him off it with the help of a quiet calm farrier.
I lost him recently but he was near perfect to shoe. Took about a year I'd guess.
Im not sure id willingly have bought one though to be honest but as others have said speak to your farrier etc and go from there.

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
I would go and look - perhaps watch him being shod if poss so you can decide for yourself how much of an issue it is. My TB went through a phase of needed sedating to shoe - the farriers apprentice nailed a nail in his foot then the farrier hit him a lot (my horse that is not his apprentice) after that he needed sedating for a year - farrier got sacked and new farrier was good but nervous of him and wouldn't do him without sedation. Finally found a third farrier who is very laid back and so calm shoeing and a bit of patience means he is find to do now.

I have bought two horses previously who I was told needed sedation to clip but in both cases, I never had any problems myself - so it must have been the owner who was worried about the job. With out knowing more its hard to be sure its the horse not the owner or farrier who has the problem!

Clare85

Visit site
I rode a horse who needed sedation to be shod. He had been beaten with a hammer by a farrier as a youngster and had to be sedated ever since. There was only one farrier in the area who would shoe him - all others understandably refused. Once, our farrier arrived before the vet, we told him to stay in the van until the vet arrived but he insisted on coming into the corral to start one of the other horses. He had to dive through the fence as the horse awaiting sedation just went absolutely berserk, breaking his tie up and just lunging for the farrier, I've never seen anything like it. This farrier had only ever been quiet and calm with him, but it was the smell I think, horse could not cope with any farrier in his vicinity.

A few years afterwards the horse started to come out of his sedation regularly and obviously this was a huge risk for the farrier so he unfortunately said that he could no longer shoe this horse. We tried him barefoot but he just didn't cope. He was so uncomfortable and in the end we had to admit defeat and he was pts. A very sad situation.

Obviously this is an extreme case as I'm sure most horses who have farrier issues have not been brutally beaten. But I would be wary as you may have huge difficulty convincing a farrier to shoe the horse as it may be a risk to their livelihood and their life.

Ceriann

Visit site
I used to have to with my now retired mare after she had a very bad experience with a farrier (and as she got older she got a little stiff at the back so suspect it may in part have been stifness related). She also became a complete nightmare to pick up her back feet. Took a couple of years to get her to not have to be sedated to be shod (including a complete break from shoes) but she eventually got back to being as good as gold and she is fab now for feet trimming (she is now retired). She was my first horse and was so forgiving and looked after me so well that if i had my time again i wouldnt change a thing. I guess it depends on why there is a problema dn whether all other boxes are ticked.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
If there is a physical problem, it is usually easy to determine, that is to say, one can lift feet a few inches of ground but not two feet.
I used to work in a racing yard with 160 horses, and one day I "forgot" that "Kickback" would not allow the groom to pick out rear feet.
I am still alive.
The farrier wanted to demonstrate to vet students how careful one had to be with such a dangerous animal, there was a lot of flying hooves and "ears back"
I asked one of the vet students to hold the horse and asked kickback to lift the near hind, by putting hand on his rear cannon bone. No problem. Trust.

Last edited:

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I have a mare that is difficult to shoe and it is quite stressful. Have had her for 4 and a half years, always same farrier who is very patient with her. I tried Sedalin and Dormosedan in the beginning but neither made the blind bit of difference so now I just stuff her with carrots, likits etc. to distract her long enough to get the job done. I always hold her myself.

I have now taken her back shoes off and this has made everything better as it's those in particular she didn't like (we only cold shoe as she didn't like the smoke either). I had the vet out to check her over not long ago as I was worried it could be pain related and he couldn't find anything to suggest that. She came with only front shoes when I bought her and I think they probably couldn't get hinds on her. We then added hinds as farrier thought she needed them but her feet are much better now so we are onto just the fronts. I have tried practicing tapping on her feet with a hammer but that didn't seem to help either.

If I really loved the horse then I guess it wouldn't stop me buying, but it is an additional stress (both for horse and owner) and expenditure which is worth some thought. I dread farrier visits just in case my mare does something!

smja

Visit site
I'd go and see horse. Decide whether you would buy horse if it was good to shoe, then decide whether it's worth the extra hassle. You might go and see it, but not like it for another reason :)

If sedating is feasible (time/money), then go for it. My sister's horse now gets sedated by the vet every time, vet is on yard anyway and horse is good to inject, farrier can do a proper job (minor remedial shoeing) rather than doing what he can before horse has enough, everybody is safe, horse isn't distressed at all. Win all round!

buzzles

Visit site
I have one who's very bad to shoe but then he's not great at other things either ie clipping, vey visits, worming. He gets about 4 sections sedalin to shoe him in a little bit of feed (can't syringe him) which takes the edge off him but he's still very afraid and I'm glad to have an understanding and patient farrier With my lad it is total fear and remembered pain as he's a lot of muscle damage and scar tissue in his chest (much better now but maybe still uncomfortable and used to be painful) and only when the nails are being hammered in esp on his front legs.. I also think he may have been roped to get done initially as he has a scar from rope burn around his fetlock. Anyway it is a total hassle and though he is better now we have a system in place but I wouldn't knowingly buy another and it would make him difficult to sell on. Horse would have to be perfect in every other way and know the reasons for him to be sedated.

Goldenstar

Visit site

Because I would not have an injury to a working man on my conscience and because the world is full with nice easy well behaved horse who are once to farriers
Good with the farrier good with traffic ( or seen no traffic ) are two things I demand I won't deal with other people's errors in these areas life is too short .

Yuki1290

Visit site
I bought a gelding knowing that he was tricky with the farrier but could be trimmed and should be able to get shod in the long run, as long as the farrier was kind and patient. First time trimmed by the farrier, he was ok, difficult but needed no sedation. However, soon after he had a very bad abscess and, somewhat understandably, has been a nightmare with the farrier ever since even with sedation... The situation has become so desperate that my farrier has kindly offered to show me how to trim him myself with his guidance. I think that being bad with the farrier can become quite a big problem under the wrong set of circumstances. I definitely would not buy a horse that is bad with the farrier again as it can be very troublesome and expensive.

Copperpot

Visit site
I would ask why. I was told my horse needed sedation did clipping when I bought him. He doesn't and never has. Just had to take it slowly and be patient the first time.

mollichop

Visit site
Horse I purchased in August really surprised me first time I had the farrier to him. Nothing was disclosed at sale and he is so placid in other ways I really didn't expect it. Chatting away to farrier, no tenseness or sign that he wasn't keen, then BANG! Up in the air and snatching all 4 feet away :eek:

Ruled out tightness/pain but was the same next visit. I had some Magic instant paste so gave him 2 tubes next visit and he was better but I didn't get it into him early enough. By the time he was clenching up, horse couldn't care less.

Will def give it a good hour and a half before next visit and see if any better. At £11.00 for 3 tubes think it's worth a go.

Sorry that was long but it seemed to do the trick. My farrier is very patient and calm with him but neither of us need that risk every 6 weeks :( If it will take the fight out of it then i'll be happy.

Visit site
I know a horse who was like that, they had to sedate him for a few months and slowly sedate him with less and less until he no longer needed it. They used Sedalin or The other over counter vet sedation (starts with D)
It's not always a case of it's a life long thing, 9 times out of 10 they have either only been shod a few times or they've been handled in a rough way in the past. A calm and understanding farrier and sedation can remedy that completely eventually.
I'd personally not rule it out, if the horse turns out to be exactly what you want and that's the only thing then I'd certainly consider it