Horse neglect

Lillian

Visit site
I'm looking for some advice on what to do in situations of horse neglect similar to the one described in this post.

I've heard people say that while the RSPCA is generally good for small animal cases and they're happy getting cats out of trees etc, they really aren't that great with large animals, especially those related to food production. I am interested to hear what other people's experience has been.

We've had two dealings with them and they have both been rather negative. Maybe I'm just having bad luck, but I must say after my latest experience I won't be at ease contacting them again on large animal issues.

Our first was reporting a case where four tiny dairy calves less than a fortnight old had died of exposure after being left in an unsheltered yard all night during a blistering rainstorm that had been forecast well ahead. We were on a walking tour and saw their little carcasses lying on the ground near a group of about ten huddled, shivering calves that had survived the night. The yard was near buildings including sheds and the main farmhouse. It would have been so easy to make sure they were all well sheltered before the storm.

When we contacted the RSPCA, they didn't want to know about it because the farm was "too far away" from their headquarters and because they apparently have a policy of no longer getting involved in the countless cases of deaths from hypothermia amongst farm animals with inadequate access to shelter.

Some years later we contacted them again about an old horse in our neighbourhood who had been infested with ectoparasites for months, had terribly neglected feet with long, extremely jagged toes and hoof cracks, and whose body condition was deteriorating rapidly as the pasture dried up in our Australian summer. This was at an agistment paddock where other people were hand-feeding their riding horses with extra hay and concentrates as the grass dried up, to keep them in good condition. Quite a few people got very upset to see this old horse NOT getting the extra attention needed during this time, and he just rapidly melted away to a condition score of about 2 (you could count every vertebra) before the owners finally came in to feed him - with one feed a day of mainly chaff.

With winter approaching and having already discovered this thin old fellow shivering in a copse of trees during a rainstorm with neither sufficient fat to keep him warm, nor a rug to help him out, we finally contacted the RSPCA. Their officer got back to us saying that "he was an old horse and that kind of condition was to be expected," which is an absolute bollocks. We know more than a dozen old horses who are fed and sheltered appropriately for their age and in excellent condition. Relatives of mine have rescued neglected horses in very poor condition and brought them back to looking well with an appropriate feeding regimen, and that's not happening for this poor horse who's always making big eyes when other owners are handfeeding their horses on the same property. But with the RSPCA, the owner and the agistment manager all using age as an excuse, what can one do?

Very disheartening. Any thoughts?

cindydog

Visit site
I would say only those who can afford to look after a horse can approach the owners and make an offer to buy or loan horse otherwise donate an old rug. has vet visited..does owners have money for his feet and feed.. what ever you decide to do just be careful....

pgwynnc99c2

Visit site
We used to (eight years ago) have quite a prolific RSPCA officer in the area. Twice he came to complain about our horses 'poor condition'. Once after Bob had a reaction to wormer and lost alot of weight what seemed like overnight. (in fact I think about three days
frown.gif
) anyway the irony was that the officer called in about three weeks after the incident when she was looking considerably better
grin.gif
. He asked all about what she was fed and why was she left out 24/7, in the end mum showed him the vets bill and told him that the ample grass and fresh air was best for her and we were told he would keep an eye on her.
smile.gif

The second time was to tell us our horse had been left out all winter with no rugs on... yes thanks we know (he was at the time a very wooly two year old who was definately not lacking in puppy fat having beeen on a forty acre field his whole life!
tongue.gif
) , and no hay...
confused.gif
which was in his lovely snuggly field shelter out of sight of the gate when we offered to show the officer he declined because he didn't have wellies with him.
grin.gif

That was all in Warwickshire and although annoying at the time I liked his concern however...
Now in Berkshire we've reported two horses to the RSPCA both times we got a we'll look into it and it wasn't until something actually happened
mad.gif
. (one got its legs caught in the barbed wire luckily mum and I saw it from the road and due to my horses fetish for wire
blush.gif
we have wire cutters in the boot of the car and neither of us are squemish of blood!
cool.gif
and the other the horse got loose from where it was tethered at the side of the road so it became a police matter) Then we reported both things to the rspca again and they turned up.
So I think it depends on the area really.
But I don't mind defending my care of my horse to an RSPCA officer if they want to be over cautiaous rather that than them turn a blind eye.
frown.gif

Spellbound

Visit site
The owner of that horse should be ashamed of themselves.
I would strongly recommend contacting another organisation such as the ILPH or Blue Cross.
You could contact some local vets to ask their advice on rehoming charities or reporting cases. You don't need to give actual details of where horse is or anything but ask if they could recommend anyone other than the RSPCA. Ring them again as well.
THese stories are horrific and it should not be allowed to happen. Perhaps approaching the yard manager or the owner but it is actually not your responsability. I am shocked that other horse owners at the place are not up in arms about it. Have to say I couldn't turn a blind eye to this. Even though I am feeling the pinch with the credit crucnh, I would certainly of donated an old rug and at the very least been throwing some hay it's way while trying to this resoloved.
Well done you for taking the time and care to be concerned. Please, please made phone calls and try for the horses sake to get it's life improved. Putting to sleep is more humane than neglect which is torture. Horses don't have a voic they rely on us to act on their behalves.

Weezy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Are you in oz then?

I think over here the rspca do an brilliant job and always respond to any report or neglect or cruelty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really? I don't and I know many who agree with me!

misst

Visit site
Golly your local RSPCA must be very different from ours. They have no interest or knowledge about horses at all. Not sure about smaller animals though

Cuffey

Visit site
In the UK we have World Horse Welfare, unfortunately fairly thin on the ground.
We also have BHS Welfare Officers who can help advise on horse care, diet etc
A number of the smaller horse charities also will help out in their areas
If owners do not take advice on board Animal Health Officers attached to local councils have strong powers under the 2006 Animal Health and Welfare Act

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you in oz then?

I think over here the rspca do an brilliant job and always respond to any report or neglect or cruelty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really? I don't and I know many who agree with me!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree - the RSPCA are only interested in getting as much money as possible, to fund their political campaigns.
I know a few ex RSPCA officers, and none of them know anything at all about horses.
frown.gif

I don't know what welfare organisations operate in Australia, but if the Blue Cross, or the WHW do, you should definitely go to them instead.
S
grin.gif

Lillian

Visit site

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and comments. Some extra information:

Re donating rugs: The horse does have a rug. He just often doesn't wear it when he needs it. The owners live 5 min down the road from him but for some mysterious reason don't seem to notice weather changes very much. They seem to put the rug on when it's officially winter, and take it off again on the first day of spring even though there are many cold snaps afterwards with bone-chilling wind and rain. Ditto before the official winter, and that's when we find the horse cold. The owners were contacted on several such occasions. Last time I had a turn at calling up. The owner said she thought the horse was fine, even though he was shivering on the hillside. Then she said she couldn't rug him because his rug was on the washing line. I offered to put one of my spare rugs on him, but she didn't want that, so the horse was left as it was. What can you do?

It also doesn't help that they don't seem to be around much: There was a two-month space where his feet, which have never had textbook care in the time we've observed the situation, were overgrowing so grossly that they were the worst I, and quite a few other people, had ever seen. A farrier coming in to do another horse said afterwards that he had been so tempted to spend 10 min attending to that poor horse's feet so he could walk in comfort again, but that he had learned that doing that actually made things worse, because it absolved the owners from their responsibility for their horse. Pressure was put on the manager of the agistment centre, who promised to call the owner, and finally his feet were cut. For now. After a big song and dance about it from others. Perhaps the owners hadn't noticed because they hadn't attended their horse, or perhaps they don't see such things, or perhaps they can't afford to get the feet cut - I don't know.

Those two months were also the time in which that horse's body condition became so terrible. Everyone else seemed to notice it except the people who have the responsibility for his care.

Re other concerned people throwing hay and other feed his way while this gets sorted: The horse is in a shared paddock, and not the boss horse, so he wouldn't get anywhere near the feed. You'd have to take him out of the paddock to feed him, and that results in legal issues.

That he's not the boss horse and a slow eater to boot means that during times when pasture growth is poor and supplementary hay feeding is done by the agistment manager, the horse does not get the food that the owner pays for the manager to give him. The manager (not a horseman) appears to think that if he puts in five lots of food for five horses, that's fair enough - but he doesn't stick around for long enough to see that the bossier horses and the faster eaters (who are all getting roly-poly) get the lion's share of the hay. The paddock sharers get no say in who shares in their paddock, that's the manager's privilege - and he doesn't seem to believe in separating the horses according to body condition, even when such things are pointed out to him. He is currently running an obese pony on the verge of foundering with one that needs extra food, but they don't get separated for feeding either. The only way to get control of who one's horse runs with and who it doesn't is to request a separate paddock at a higher fee, which is the preferred option amongst the active riders in the centre, though not always available.

Re why aren't other horse owners up in arms about it: The active riders at the centre are. Their connections are. Riding visitors to the centre are. But ringing the RSPCA is supposed to help with such things, right? Except that the RSPCA officer we got blames the horse's condition on his age, and says that she's seen worse, and this vindicates both the owners' and the agistment managers' position on the matter. Meanwhile, every time one goes up to the centre, a thin hungry horse comes begging for food. The right type of food in the right quantities, and the time to eat it unmolested, would so improve his lot...