Horse netting- anyone got it?

showjump

Visit site
Thinking of re fencing some of our land with horse netting.

Has anyone got any experiences with the product, also pros/ cons etc?

Thank you!

BigRed

Visit site
Do you mean stock fence ? ie wire squares ?

I think if it is properly tensioned, it is better than barbed wire, but really the best bet is post and rail.

I had stock fence for about 8 years before I found the money to get it replaced with post and rail. I didn't have any problems with mine, but I rented a field with some baggy stock fence and found my shetland with his leg through it. He was very sensible and waited for me to untangle him and was unhurt.

A lady hacks past my house and her arab was off for a year after getting his leg through some stock fence and ripping his leg very badly while struggling to get out.

showjump

Visit site
Yes similar to stock fencing, however horse netting is designed so that the horses cannot get their hooves caught. The holes are too small for hooves to fit, and instead of square they are in rectangles.

Post and rail would be better, but i have also heard of bad accidents with this too. Also i thought the netting would last much longer?

Thanks

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
If you're fencing is internal, ie fencing off different parts of the field, not perimeter fencing, why not try wooden posts and electric tape or rope? It's relatively inexpensive and so easy to maintain.

showjump

Visit site
I have considered this too, as fencing is internal. However we havent got mains electric, so having a energizer powered by battery would not be the best. Also we have sheep, so it would be an advantage to be able to fence them off into certain paddock, one thing i can do with the horse netting.

Just worried about the safety side f things, and also the visability of it.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Hmm, yes, I must admit my electric fencing is 100% better since it's been mains powered. However, you can get solar powered energizers and there is a variety of rope, tape, netting suitable for different types of animal including sheep.

Jules19

Visit site
QR: Assume you mean Keepsafe or similar. Used on various stud farms round here. It is more expensive than post and rail as the posts at straining points have to be fairly beefy, from top of my head think they need to be about every 10m, plus wherever there is a change in direction. Product is very safe in my experience, never heard of an accident with it. It does need spraying to recoat the wire every few years as well so not totally maintenance free. Most annoying thing I found was you can't duck through the fence!

showjump

Visit site
Thank you Jules. Yes my OH's business is doing arena, fencing and the like so he knows how it gets up correctly. Just i wasnt sure as i dont know anyone who has it! I can see it being very safe, as holes are too small to get legs caught in.

What do you put above the netting, i was considering a line of elec fence tape, but others use galv wire. I was thinking tape might be more visable for the horses too see? Thats my other worry, can they see it?!

My OH says it works out just under post and rail prices, but he is getting a deal on the netting.
wink.gif

MissGem

Visit site
Have a look at websites such as Norcroft Fencing or All-Seasons Fencing and you will see the Keepsafe and Tornado fencing. Keepsafe used by many of the studs as the holes are too small for foal hooves to get stuck in. More expensive than other options, but top quality. Wire is attached to posts and a top rail. Keeps other animals out of the fields too.