Horse not 100% right - can't quite put my finger on it.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Over the last couple of days I've realised my TB isn't on top form like he usually is. He usually has a very wet mouth and at the moment isn't very at all. He seems slightly subdued and I'm not sure why.

Is there a reason why his mouth would suddenly dry up? He is jumping and cantering fine although I've not done as much recently.

He was going like a dream last week and now everything just seems a little bit harder for him. I did post about the heat in both front fetlocks earlier on this week but noone replied. I was worried that there was a potential problem but because the heat was the same in both legs that perhaps I was imagining things.

Any ideas?

0ldmare

Visit site
Have you taken his temperature? There are (according to my vet) a lot of bugs going around at the moment. They are seeing a lot more horses that are just not quite right/not performing as expected.

imafluffybunny

Visit site
Unless there is a problem in his mouth, I would imagine he would be dry if he wasnt relaxed, which would make you think perhaps something is bothering him.
Have you checked his temperature? he could have picked up a bug that is making him feel under the weather.
Is he sound? you mentioned heat in his fetlocks, could he maybe have overdone it and needs a few days off?
Just a few ideas, I would call the vet if you are concerned.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Thanks for that. Yes he's def. 100% sound. I think because he's new I'm just getting used to what his legs feel like all the time etc.

He could easily have a bug - I hadn't thought of that. Will take temp when I get home. Thanks for advice.

Suz2

Visit site
My TB had a week of feeling pretty down. He was thoroughly checked over with blood tests etc, which all came back normal. He dropped in weight a little but then put it back on.

He could have tummy troubles or it could be the weather/temperature (mine needs wrapping up warm!) TBs are sensitive soles!

bushbaby28

Visit site
horse at my yard was not quite himself (the kind of thing only his mum would notice) and they found he had some kind of a virus. took quite a while to diagnose as no obvious signs of illness.