horse not listening to the leg

spooks

Visit site
ash had a lesson yesterday and was working on turns and Otto just does not listen to her leg , instructor gave her some exercises to do involving putting pressure where the leg would and getting him to move over then praise etc.i was wondering whether as a temporary measure until he starts respecting her leg to let her ride in spurs or if a schooling whip would be more effective? i wouldnt let her jump in spurs but she would be fine doing flatwork with them..any suggestions and if spurs is the way what type.. as i said dont want it to be a long term thing ,just need him to get it through his head that when she asks him to turn he turns and doesnt just ignore her completely and go where he wants to!

clipclop

Visit site
If it is a case of the horse not understanding then I would carry on with the exercise and possibly use someone on the ground to help the horse understand that the leg on means "Move over".

Also, I have found out myself that when I try and move a horse over with my leg my body can become rigid and therefore the poor horse is unable to move away from the leg. So again, check those aids are clear and also check that the rest of the body is allowing the movement.

If used carefully spurs could help.

It is hard to advice when you can't see horse and rider in action.
smile.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Do not ride in spurs as it will not sharpen anything up - use two schooling whips. My horse is bad to the leg and I have spent hours sharpening him up in the school.
Ride with two schooling whips and use your legs very softly if he does not react flick him with a whip. The other thing you can do it ask for the aid if no reaction three kicks from your leg hard to send them forwards. The aim is that you ride with your legs away from the saddle and only need the softest touch for a reaction. These things have really helped with my horse and he is so much sharper. Spurs are great for refining an aid or for being more persuasive but you have to go back to basics first.

Moggy

Visit site
If it's not responding to leg in general then transitions (and I mean lots) backed up by a flick with the whip if not instant response. If it's lateral work get some one on the ground to help teach them as some just dont understand what you're asking.