Horse not quite sound-get the vet/farrier?

Cash

Visit site
Hiya
Basically C has not been quite 'right' in the last few days- he was shod on Thurs, did have a day off on Thurs (didn't have time to ride) and I lunged- he took a few 'funny steps' (couple of 'hop' type steps) for about 2 strides, but I kept him going (not forcing him on at just clicked with voice, watched for discomfort etc) and he carried on trotting, came sound again almost immediately, and moved straight and sound for rest of the session- I assumed maybe stepped on a stone, knocked himself or something. However, as we were walking back into yard, he started being a bit 'footy'.
Rode yesterday in the school, trotted up before riding and he seemed totally fine, but thought I'd stick to school in case combination of newish shoes and rock hard ground was making him sore. He was completely sound for my 20mins/half an hour schooling sesh- until the last 5 minutes when again he just didn't feel quite sound. Not noticeably lame on any one foot, but movement not as free and loose it normally is. :confused:
Rode again today, trotted him up before hand, and again he seemed fine. Got on, went round the tracks, and within 5 mins he was not right again.
I could have 'pushed through' both today and yesterday in the hope that it would rectify itself and he would come sound again, but I am terrified I will be doing more harm than good if it is some kind of underlying issue to do with pain in feet etc. Turned him out as usual, seemed to be walking with no problems, but again movement just very very slight off (but not sign of discomfort or pain- no ears back etc, still walking speedily out to the field as usual!).
He has no obvious superficial wounds/swellings/heat in legs or feet, and I poked around his soles and frogs just in case he had been knocked by farrier.

Really not sure what do to :confused: Obviously if vet or farrier is needed I'll of course call them out- I am really scared about possible things it could be the first signs of, eg lami :( Although he is a TB so as far as I'm aware not at high risk from laminitis...?

Last edited:

Ella19

Visit site
Is he shod all round? My mare has just had to have back shoes on for the first time in years as she was REALLY foot sore. I've spoken to two other people unknown to me who have also had to put hinds on on their horses, one is 11 and never had them in his life.

Perhaps call and have a chat with your vet and see what they suggest?

Divasmum

Visit site
Horses of all types and breeds have been known to get laminitis. However so close to being shod I would suspect a problem related to the shoeing. Ring farrier and then if he can't solve it ring vet.

Cash

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
I've sent farrier a text (usually text rather than call) and will see what he says. He didn't seem in discomfort with his feet though when i poked around.
He is shod all round and has been for most of his life (has rubbish feet) and normally does fine.

Natch

Visit site
Have you checked thoroughly all over for any other sign of injury or pain? If farrier can't find anything I'd be tempted to give him a week off and then if still presenting the same symptoms ring the vet.

Cash

Visit site
Ah, dilbert- you may have just given me an idea. Not really knowing how/why abcesses form, i googled it, and one of the links suggested that they can form through grit/gravel or other foreign bodies getting lodged in a crack in the hoof wall. Now Cash had a crack in his hoof about eight weeks ago, which the farrier put a sort of moulded putty-type patch (I forget the proper name for this process) over it to help it heal...and he took it off on Thurs, as the crack had tightened together enough that he reckoned it would heal without. Could something have got into it?
However that wouldn't explain why he's generally 'footy' rather than lame on that one front foot.

Naturally, think that may be what I have to do. :( Thanks

Balibee

Visit site
I would get the farrier first asap. Sounds like it could be nail bind, this doesn't always show on the day of being shod but can happen within a few days.
:)

SamandMonty

www.youtube.com
I'd go farrier first as sounds like could possibly be more foot related than anything. Then if they cant solve it go for the vet. My farrier is always my first call when feet are concerning me, even if he's a pain to get hold of.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Your clue here is that the horse has very recently been shod. So farrier first to check the shoe and foot, and if no resolution - vet.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
id be thinking shoe/nail to tight, but depending on yr farrier, id be getting both to attend at the same time, easier in the long run.