Horse "not right" and trusting yourself RANT/MOAN

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Bear with me, this could be long..I think I'm well overdue a nice long moan:)

Had Clover just coming up to a year now and nothing has ever really gone right for us in one way or another. First of all after all the start-up shenanigans (saddle fitting-buying-fitting) getting to know each other etc, she got kicked. Then she got the unknown mouth virus thing which we were never quite sure what it was after either...Then we moved her home from livery, then sorted out companions for her, then she went to livery. Then she came in hopping lame. Then we found we needed a new farrier. Then we found she had sidebones aside from whatever caused her lameness.

Now, we'e experimenting with no shoes and seeing where we go. I don't care if she wears shoes or not, I am now at the stage that I want the horse sound and happy, how that is achieved I don't really care (shoes/no shoes) but I'm getting to the point where I spent a lot of money buying her, buying the best tack, trailer, towing vehicle, vets bills etc ..... that I think I could do with a break!

Between myself and a friend she's getting ridden or lunged twice/three times a week slowly. When I say lunged I mean, 10 mins MAX. 15 in walk and a quick trot on each rein to see where we are with her. Friend potters about on her, just to get her used to not being shod and to see where we are with it.

Today she is not right. Whatever that means. I don't know if it's lame, footy and because we're at home I have no-one to trust and say "yey or nay". (maybe I'm not ready to go BF?) I'm finally incredibly disheartened with it all.

I'm at the point now where I'm seriously considering consigning her to the "too much trouble" pile and getting another riding horse so at least I get some enjoyment out of my money and hard work because after a year of nothing going right I just don't know how much more I can take :(

ThePony

Visit site
Sorry to hear you are having such trouble with poor Clover. Have you had a body worker (physio/chiro) out to her and seeing if there are problem areas?

Is she landing level on her fronts? Hinds should land very slightly outside first. Can your friend lead her away from and towards you while you crouch on the ground and watch? If you could vid it then it is much easier to pause frame by frame to be exactly sure what is going on. Heel first then level is what you are after. Any slight imbalance which creates a deviation to that will cause no end of both big and niggly problems not just in the leg and hoof but through the body too. Just from reading lots of your posts I wonder if balance might be the issue?

I have to admit that I would be avoiding lunging until you get to the bottom of the issue. Could you walk in hand and have someone trot her up for you so you could asses how she is doing from that instead?

Chin up, it WILL be worth it in the end!!

BlackRider

Visit site
:-( How much turnout is she getting, do her hooves feel warmer than usual and is there any signs of a digital pulse?

Also what are you feeding her?

Is she happy to bear weight on feet? or does she look really uncomfortable, constantly shifting weight? If its the second then I'd ring the vet today.

Otherwise, see how she is on Tuesday and if no better ring then.

Hope she's better soon x

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Horse ownership can be a long, tough, expensive and heartbreaking road. :(

I hope that she feels better soon and that you feel more positive as a result.

:)

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Hi TP, thanks for replying must admit, I didn't really expect anyone to :eek: but nice to vent..

The main reason we lunge her are these:
1) we found her lameness so stark, (when the vet did her work-up and lunged her) that I found it easier to detect lameness from lunging rather than straight up that it seemed a good way for us to judge?
2) As I'm pregnant and we just aren't 100% with her, I'm reluctant to get on until she's back in some kind of regular work (not that she tries to kill my friend lol) but you know what I mean I guess.

As for the questions about how she's landing etc, we are going to try and get a good video of her tomorrow that I can share and also send to my trimmer, for some help.

I feel she was fine on the right rein, but reluctant and lame on the left rein.

I will do a few things on video tomorrow with poor OH and see what you guys think from that? :)

Ranyhyn

Visit site
:-( How much turnout is she getting, do her hooves feel warmer than usual and is there any signs of a digital pulse?

Also what are you feeding her?

Is she happy to bear weight on feet? or does she look really uncomfortable, constantly shifting weight? If its the second then I'd ring the vet today.

Otherwise, see how she is on Tuesday and if no better ring then.

Hope she's better soon x

She's out 24/7.
No they don't and no DP.
She doesn't get fed anything, she's on restricted grazing of say 2 acres (for her and 2xwelshies) and the grazing quality is fairly rough - though we have had a little rain and previous warm weather could men we have shoots coming through.

Oh she was happy to canter off up the field with her mates....:(:confused:

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Horse ownership can be a long, tough, expensive and heartbreaking road. :(

I hope that she feels better soon and that you feel more positive as a result.

Hi Faracat
You know, it must be that I have never experienced it like this before, because (and most of you wont believe this) I have never had a mystery lameness before. Sure I've had a horse rap a pole and be bruised for 3 days and other innocuous bruises/cuts etc but never a properly lame horse! I have generally, previously had big hunter types, or hardy ex-trekking horses that have by and large been so healthy that in the 4 previous horses I'd had, they'd collectively seen the vet twice! :cool:
This I guess, is my baptism of fire into the horse world that most people seem to be used to.
For me it always used to be such a pleasure. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed this mare, or in fact, if I've ever had the chance to yet.:(

joeanne

Visit site
How long has she been barefoot?
When I took the hinds off my stupid TB she was sore for AGES. And the same.....just "not quite right"
It took almost 6 months an a set of boots for the transition before she was even remotely happy behind.
But again.....happy to blast on up the field at a flat out gallop!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Oh poo.

That's horses for you. Remind me again why we do it?

Could it be the spring grass? Dizz is shoeless and gets footy Spring and Autumn. I'd have shoes on all the time, but don't see the point.

Can you try some hoofboots? See if that solves the issue?

Ranyhyn

Visit site
How long has she been barefoot?
When I took the hinds off my stupid TB she was sore for AGES. And the same.....just "not quite right"
It took almost 6 months an a set of boots for the transition before she was even remotely happy behind.
But again.....happy to blast on up the field at a flat out gallop!

I hadn't even really thought about boots, but I guess I need to make sure it's not lameness (before I go buying boots) only then to find out she's lame and the boots don't help?

I know this is going to sound really wrong probably, but I'm actually concerned about how much money we pump into her without knowing if she'll ever be quite right to ride.
I've never experienced it before, usually, I've gotten what I've put in. Now we've spent the best part of £20k on this horse and her accessories and I'm starting to wonder, when if ever, I'll get any enjoyment from our money?
I know that probably does sound really mercenary.. :(

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Thanks MrsM, I hadn't thought of boots, but see above, might cover that suggestion.

Do I need to have yet another professional visit her to check what the problem is, before I throw good money after bad and buy her boots? I mean, I'm happy to shoe her, but I'm just not convinced any more that she's going to ever be right, whatever I do!

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Are you giving her any kind of supplement for her hoof growth?:confused: I am just wondering if her hooves don't grow quickly whther she is a bit foot sore at the moment?:confused: my cob is unshod and alwasy has been but gets trimmed every 6 weeks regardless of how much work she does as her hooves are like concrete and grow stupid amounts all year round:rolleyes: my WB on the other hand had good hooves but they are really slow growing so unshod for him would be more problematical.

On the boot issue why not see if lots of padding - use nappies and gaffer tape etc for now - help. If there is no sign of lameness/footiness it mnaybe that boots are all she needs. My friends TB went shoeless and even though his hooves improved in terms of quality (stopped losing chunks of wall..:rolleyes:) due to slow hoof growth he was always 'footy' but she had boots for all four hooves and he hacked and schooled pretty much every day woth no problems - hacking was a combo of roads, fields, water, mud etc etc :)

Last edited:

joeanne

Visit site
Not mecenary at all. I certainly wouldn't chuck good money after bad.
BUT you can get a set of hoof boot off ebay (the cavello ones are great!) for less than £50.
Drop in the ocean after 20k!
AND if they are not helping, you pop them on ebay again. I got pretty muc what I paid for mine.

Always Henesy

Visit site
You don't sound mercenary at all. Just someone who wants to actually enjoy her horse.
I feel for you....it is so disheartening and frustrating.
I guess short term you may need to consider shoes back on? At least then you will know if it is just footiness? (I'll probably get shot down for that)

Whatever happens, I wish you well.
Our horses cost too much time and money to not get any enjoyment out of them.

Have a hug...

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Are you giving her any kind of supplement for her hoof growth?:confused: I am just wondering if her hooves don't grow quickly whther she is a bit foot sore at the moment?:confused: my cob is unshod and alwasy has been but gets trimmed every 6 weeks regardless of how much work she does as her hooves are like concrete and grow stupid amounts all year round:rolleyes: my WB on the other hand had good hooves but they are really slow growing so unshod for him would be more problematical.

On the boot issue why not see if lots of padding - use nappies and gaffer tape etc for now - help. If there is no sign of lameness/footiness it mnaybe that boots are all she needs. My friends TB went shoeless and even though his hooves improved in terms of quality (stopped losing chunks of wall..:rolleyes:) due to slow hoof growth he was always 'footy' but she had boots for all four hooves and he hacked and schooled pretty much every day woth no problems - hacking was a combo of roads, fields, water, mud etc etc :)

No she's currently not getting any supplements, I am torn between a natural basis (rosehips, nettle leaf, clivers, seaweed) or getting a foot supplement, I know there have been a few mentioned on here with good effect.

I'm terrible I suppose, that I wont change/add anything unless I'm really sure which sometimes leaves me doing nothing for a while maybe when I could be doing something (but unsure what to do, sometimes I wish I had a livery here..)

That's a good idea re: mocking some boots up. I'm really open to anything as I really want the girl out doing something. I feel so sorry for OH who really had ploughed a lot of his money into her so we can enjoy her (we dreamt of shows and weekends/holidays away with her) and of course I feel sorry for me, while she's constantly out of work.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Not mecenary at all. I certainly wouldn't chuck good money after bad.
BUT you can get a set of hoof boot off ebay (the cavello ones are great!) for less than £50.
Drop in the ocean after 20k!
AND if they are not helping, you pop them on ebay again. I got pretty muc what I paid for mine.

With a new baby on the way we really need to rein in our spending, the horses of course will get what they need, but maybe explains why I'm reticent with Clover to spend much more! Good to know they hold their money. Would you recommend boots all round? Or just fronts?

Ranyhyn

Visit site
You don't sound mercenary at all. Just someone who wants to actually enjoy her horse.
I feel for you....it is so disheartening and frustrating.
I guess short term you may need to consider shoes back on? At least then you will know if it is just footiness? (I'll probably get shot down for that)

Whatever happens, I wish you well.
Our horses cost too much time and money to not get any enjoyment out of them.

Have a hug...

Thank you :) I have been feeling really harsh, to consider the horse in such a materialistic fashion, but I do like to ride and all I have ever wanted since I was younger was to have a horse nice enough to go to a show, have a horse that loads so I didn't have to miss out, have a horse that can school/jump so I could have my first attempt at riding club.

And now I have her she doesn't blooming work! Baaah!!! Thanks for the hug :) really, really appreciated!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I know it's more money for little gain but if I were you (and I pretty much am atm ) I'd have the vet to come check for lameness. I'm lucky as I'm friendly with a vet but it's the only thing that really puts my mind at rest. They might come out, say 'she's 100% sound' and then you'll feel a million times better.

If they come out and say she's lame you can worry about how you're going to solve the problem from there.

In the grand scheme of things a non emergency call out is pretty small fry (well, I assume it is. I don't know how far your vet is from your yard of course) and you might be worrying over nothing :)

Chin up ducky. You'll get there. And she'll totally be worth it. She's lush!

joeanne

Visit site
Mine only had boots behind as I left her fronts on, but I would have booted all round if she had gone barefoot on the fronts too.

cobmum

Visit site
Hold on to your childhood dream it will happen, life is just throwing quite a few hurdles albeit expensive ones at you BUT you will get there, hopefully with this horse maybe another.

So take a deep breath, call the vet to check for lamenes. Decide a plan of action if lame/not lame and have yourself a nice cup of tea!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am sorry you are having no fun with this horse but it's a pretty normal story and loads of us have been though this .
My advice would be
Be sure that the lameness is the foot and not something else.
Try boots I have one shoeless horse and he is using boots on and off at the moment. They are not expensive I got my trimmer involved and he advised the best sort for my boy.
Check the diet is ok
The grass does affect them this time of year but when mine was footy it was both feet not just one.
Finally if you decide that enough that's ok I have done this in the past when I seemed to shovelling money at a horse with a death wish
Final piece of advice from one much older than you never argue with your OH over horses it's easy for us horse obsessed people to get our priorities skewed have a lovely time when the baby comes although at times it won't seem lovely.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Thank you, I felt like it might be an unsavoury viewpoint, to say when I've had enough of trying but shortly, I will have had enough.
She's very comfortable and happy out at grass with her friends, where she will always stay and if things don't come right soon I am more than happy to retire her and get something simpler.
Thanks Goldenstar, I find it really hard with OH, as he bought her for me, I'm always aware I need him involved but OH doesn't always understand where I am with it all so it can get a little stressed. He would try and try I think, but he doesn't always understand the ideas I have in my head.

OH doesn't really WANT to set out a plan of action, I don't think he can give up on her miraculously coming perfect. I can't blame him for that, but a year is a long time to wait to enjoy something..

I grew up cycling up to my horses, putting their tack on and riding out with friends on the beach. All I remember is that level of simplistic enjoyment and it's something I want to enjoy again. But I will definitely take your advice to heart.
Thanks Cobmum, cuppa sounds just the ticket right now :) :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
Just a last thought. Perhaps just turning her away for a year will do the trick? Dr Green can solve all kinds of problems. Get yourself something on loan to ride or buy something for OH that you can also ride and see how she looks in six months /a year. You never know. She might be a-ok and you're in the position you can do it too so definitely worth a shot if you can't carry on the way you are due to the stress of it.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Thanks JT, in honesty I think that's what I'd like to do. It's difficult though, not sure of the chances in OH just letting me give up really. Maybe we need to have a proper sit down, he just dislikes talking about it and can only think one step ahead. But we've been living day to day with her since she came really, always saying "don't worry she'll be better next week/next month and we can start"...I'm really tired of waiting!
Thanks for all your replies everyone, means a huge deal. Very hard at home with no-one horsey to share it all with x

Jesstickle

Visit site
It isn't giving up, just trying a different tack. You could go on and on doing lameness investigations, scanning, finding something, then realising what you thought was the problems isn't, starting all over again OR you could take a break from it all. Give her a chance to heal herself of whatever it is ( it must happen surely. If I was given a rest I bet loads of my niggles would resolve themselves) and see what happens in however many months time.

If I could, I honestly think that is what I would do as it is so draining dealing with it every day and you need to look after you and your bump right now. As you say, she's perfectly happy on field rest with her little buddies. She won't come to any harm and you can take a rest from it all. You are more important than she is (don't tell her I said that though) and you can't be letting it wear you down. It's not good for you! I'm sure OH would understand if you said that you can't deal with it now. I'm pretty confident he will also be of the opinion that you are more important than C!

Flame_

Visit site
Its not that easy just to give up with a lame horse, there is a long road of trying things before calling it a day and its not like there are a queue of people wanting to take the problem over. When a horse goes wrong you are pretty much stuck with it unless you are happy just to give away or pts and lose all the money you've put in. Get some front boots, see if she's sound in them. That's the obvious place to start to me.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Oh Flame she wouldn't be going anywhere! As long as she's field sound, which she is, she stays here! She is most definitely not for sale or being given away.

It's more about how long I keep putting more and more into her and not even getting the bare minimum out of her really. Now I know a few things I can try before buying boots, I will go away and try those and also add a video tomorrow and see if you are all seeing what I'm seeing..